Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ollie Pope is the concussion cover for Roy.

Bloody rain, forecast looked set yesterday. :angry:

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Aggers dobbing Warne in straight away on TMS, he's hiding away in the groundsmans shed having a fag. "Don't worry Shane, nobody's listening" :clap:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was pleased to read that Marcus Trethscothick was helping out in the nets. Hopefully teaching the batsmen how to bat for a length of time rather than 10 overs. Not so glad to read it was from his throw that Roy was hit on the head.

Slightly OT but should Roy suffer concussion when fielding after the ball hitting his head could they bring Trescothick in as the substitute batsman or does the substitute have to come from those that have been named in the initial squad?

Trescothick :lolol::lolol:

But as to your general query; no, if Roy was injured prior to the match starting and suffered a recurrence of the injury, a substitute can't be used.

If a sub is used, however, he doesn't have to be part of the original squad but must be a like for like replacement ie a batter replaced by a batter

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was pleased to read that Marcus Trethscothick was helping out in the nets. Hopefully teaching the batsmen how to bat for a length of time rather than 10 overs. Not so glad to read it was from his throw that Roy was hit on the head.

Slightly OT but should Roy suffer concussion when fielding after the ball hitting his head could they bring Trescothick in as the substitute batsman or does the substitute have to come from those that have been named in the initial squad?

Ignoring the stupid part of your question - the other part is actually interesting.

I think the answer is (certainly should be) no. I'm not sure what the regulations say, but absolutely a substitute really ought not be allowed, for an injury taken into (rather than suffered within) the match.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Rain moving West to east so rain should stop very very shortly. FA75277D-A49E-4781-B14A-FBADF7CEE36F.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slightly OT but should Roy suffer concussion when fielding after the ball hitting his head could they bring Trescothick in as the substitute batsman
:eek:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Atherton's at the ground as well

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point was that if he or anybody else was passed fit to start and got hit on the head while fielding could they bring any similar player in as a substitute. I realise that if he doesnt make it Pope has been called up but I was thinking more if after the match has started.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My point was that if he or anybody else was passed fit to start and got hit on the head while fielding could they bring any similar player in as a substitute. I realise that if he doesnt make it Pope has been called up but I was thinking more if after the match has started.

Well the answer to that is Yes. If he gets hit on the head, and suffers a concussion, then he can be replaced (by Pope, who is his designated concussion substitute).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

There are no 4 day county games in progress during the test (only T20s), so they'd have a wide choice of potential subs

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mind you , we all know it doesn't matter what Paine wanted to do, Smith is still calling the shots as Captain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here