Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 107
  1. #71
    Members
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,194


    1 Not allowed!
    Take my own water bottle/ coffee mug whenever out to fill instead of buying plastic bottles

    Using reusable nappies for my 5 month old, with reusable clothes instead of wet wipes used for cleaning purposes.

    100% Recycled toilet paper

    Replaced the bottles of soap around my house with bars, including for use in the shower instead of a bottle of gel.

    Shampoo and conditioner bars used in the shower.

    Bamboo cotton buds, which are then composted instead of going into waste.

    Crisp packets etc taken to recycling points found in super markets, and look for local terracycle locations for most other less easily recycled items

    All food waste is put out for composting (we are lucky that this is collected weekly in north Somerset)

    My next aim is to go meat free at least 1 day a week.. but I'm struggling as I bloody love the stuff!

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #72
      Members midnight_rendezvous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      The Black Country
      Posts
      2,640


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm not sure climate change respects arbitrary man made borders - We have to consider this a global thing and try not to encourage a message that may as well not doing anything because China isn't.

      I think flying and diet are the easiest things we can change, it's very easy not to fly anywhere!
      This. Lots of people will point to places like China, shrug their shoulders and shirk any and all individual responsibilities. Change needs to come, not only on a global government and economic level (which will only occur with public pressure), but on an individual level too. Giving up meat and not flying are two relatively easy things individuals can do to lessen their impact on the planet.
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"
    • #73
      Members midnight_rendezvous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      The Black Country
      Posts
      2,640


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      that is probably true, though people wont accept the consequences. people will advocate veganism to save the planet but continue to buy soya product shipped from round the world. people will say consume less but continue to use modern conveniences. people arent returning to subsistance farming, working the land manually.

      90% of soy grown is used to feed animals so....
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"
    • #74
      Disenfranchised Trufflehound's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Location
      Away from it all
      Posts
      13,948


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nickjhs View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I disagree, I dont think we are fully there yet, but the change that is required will not come as it makes far to many demands of every single industrialised nation, and many of the developing ones. More likely is the scenario that we will go to war over dwindling resources and the negative effects of climate change and in doing doing so hasten our demise. The Drake equation is an interesting attempt to work out how many intelligent civilisations are in the universe. One of the parameters it uses is L = the length of time a civilisation remains detectable, this is often seen as the length of time before a civilisation discovers the means to destroy itself.
      Whether we are there or not, I think we both agree that nothing will change whilst it is not in the interests of governments or big business to do so - in which case we are screwed either way.

      Like the annual COP meetings - big on words and rhetoric, devoid of actions. I got to attend one in person a few years ago and it was quite disenheartening to hear all these big nobs spouting bullcrap for the cameras knowing full well they had no intention of actually doing anything.
      Beer in the Netherlands - "Probably the best beer guide to the Netherlands ever written." - Trufflehound.
    • #75
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      26,451


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by midnight_rendezvous View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      90% of soy grown is used to feed animals so....
      ...what? does that absolve anyone consuming it? still being grown and shipped for our convenience, at far greater impact than local produce.
      id rather some locally grass reared sheep or cattle myself.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #76
      Members midnight_rendezvous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      The Black Country
      Posts
      2,640


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ...what? does that absolve anyone consuming it? still being grown and shipped for our convenience, at far greater impact than local produce.
      id rather some locally grass reared sheep or cattle myself.
      My point is that vegans get a bad rep for consuming soy yet the vast majority of it, as with all crops, is fed to livestock who are then slaughtered. Consuming soy is still far more environmentally friendly than consuming meat.
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"
    • #77

      0 Not allowed!
      I think the public need to be told what to do a lot of the time or things put in place to help them along, just like charging for carrier bags. Also Glastonbury had water stations all over the site this year and estimated over a million bottles of water were saved.

      Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
      Nibble@Wrong-Direction is one of the biggest idiots on this board.
    • #78

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by midnight_rendezvous View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      My point is that vegans get a bad rep for consuming soy yet the vast majority of it, as with all crops, is fed to livestock who are then slaughtered. Consuming soy is still far more environmentally friendly than consuming meat.
      And no plant is raped continuously to provide it.

      Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
      Nibble@Wrong-Direction is one of the biggest idiots on this board.
    • #79
      Members midnight_rendezvous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      The Black Country
      Posts
      2,640


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrong-Direction View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      And no plant is raped continuously to provide it.

      Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
      Always a plus
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"
    • #80

      2 Not allowed!
      I have found life a lot more enjoyable since I moved to the dark side. I eat excessive amounts of meat, drive everywhere and take flights for at least three holidays a year. If ever I feel a pang of guilt, I find the use of class A drugs and a decent whore or two usually put me back in a happy frame of mind. It's all about personal choice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •