Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

What little choices in your life do you make to help the planet ?

1 Not allowed!
    ...or at least reduce the damage you cause to the planet as an individual.

For me -

- Never buy disposable plastic bottles. I either use a re-useable bottle for water, or buy cans as they are more recycleable than bottles. Problem is recycling them when out and about, but even if I can't it's still better than plastic.
    - Never buy takeaway coffee. Either drink in shop, or don't get one at all (good for the wallet too).
    - (Smoker) Never buy disposable lighters. Got a fine Zippo/metal clipper collection instead. Matches if desperate when out.

I'm also having a good run of meat free days. I've nominated Thursday as mine. Good for health, money and also allows you to be more creative in the kitchen.

Our planet is struggling... little changes to our lifestyles can have a big impact if many people do them... any other suggestions how to reduce plastic use/carbon footprint?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      I've cut meat eating back to two days a week. I avoid buying products with palm oil where ever I can. Recyle and compost - to the point we only put one black sack out every 10 days or so.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
      Members

20 Not allowed!
      Haven’t had children.

0 Not allowed!
      I take my own cup to get coffee when we're travelling - which also reduces the cost by 25p.
      I use my own plastic bottles
      I make sure I buy PGtips teabags which don't have plastic in them but thinking of getting a tea strainer and going back to loose leaf tea.
      I try to use the eco wash on the washing machine as much as I can, sometimes even down to 30C
      I only ever have white toilet rolls because the dye for coloured rolls is bad for the environment.
      I take garden waste to my local tip, where they make compost and sell it.
      I recycle everything the council allows so our rubbish is one 30L bin bag a week.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      ...or at least reduce the damage you cause to the planet as an individual.

For me -

- Never buy disposable plastic bottles. I either use a re-useable bottle for water, or buy cans as they are more recycleable than bottles. Problem is recycling them when out and about, but even if I can't it's still better than plastic.
      - Never buy takeaway coffee. Either drink in shop, or don't get one at all (good for the wallet too).
      - (Smoker) Never buy disposable lighters. Got a fine Zippo/metal clipper collection instead. Matches if desperate when out.

I'm also having a good run of meat free days. I've nominated Thursday as mine. Good for health, money and also allows you to be more creative in the kitchen.

Our planet is struggling... little changes to our lifestyles can have a big impact if many people do them... any other suggestions how to reduce plastic use/carbon footprint?
      I love the idea of drinking in coffee, far too often we’re in a rush to do what exactly? Spend more time on Facebook or even NSC?!! And guess what, you can do that drinking in too. The Italians have a culture of always drinking in, builds stronger community ties too. Sage advice Mustafa, going to try that too Can’t stop for 10-15mins, won’t stop! Money saved as well like you say.
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I've cut down my use of private jets to just once a month. Actually, I haven't flown anywhere for 17 years and my last three trips were on business. My wife hasn't flown since 1991 and the last time we flew for a holiday was 1989.
      Seriously, we do all the usual things re recycling, never leaving litter anywhere, try and cut down our use of gas and leccy, have a chicken and fish based diet with bacon and steak being a bit of a treat.etc. etc.
      I have to admit, all this isn't really to save the planet ,but because I hate waste and the diet is good for one's health.
      Oh yes, wife and number two son have reusable water bottles.
      Number two son is also working on sustainability for a large international company. Just wish he'd remember not to leave lights on around the house when he's at home!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      Haven’t had children.
      Pertinent, but made me laugh.

1 Not allowed!
      I didn't take my free Albion flag home after the West Ham game due to the plastic stick but left it by seat to the reused or recycled by the club
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18

1 Not allowed!
      Nearly always cycle or get the train when going somewhere
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Don't eat meat or fish.
      Don't buy plastic bottles of water but take one with me to befilled
      Don't drive
      Am going to Netherlands next month and am going by train rather than fly
      Buy second-hand when I can
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio