Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Hostilities Recommence

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Just 17 hours until the hardball stuff winds back into action.

I have a friend on the Yorkshire CCC academy staff based at Headingley, and he tells me this is the hardest driest track he has ever seen on that square. No rain forecast throughout the 5 days, and getting hotter. Looking forward to a sustained barrage of chin music, to get the convict snowflakes whinging again. Maybe something as pulsating and dramatic as Willis’ 8-43 back in ‘81....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I have a friend on the Yorkshire CCC academy staff based at Headingley, and he tells me this is the hardest driest track he has ever seen on that square. No rain forecast throughout the 5 days, and getting hotter. Looking forward to a sustained barrage of chin music, to get the convict snowflakes whinging again. Maybe something as pulsating and dramatic as Willis’ 8-43 back in ‘81....

That's not good, a bit of moisture and Headingly is a result pitch. A hard dry track will please the Aussies.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

An Australian Perth style batting paradise then.

They will play Starc here anyway. So anything Archer does.... Their attack is quicker than ours.

Starc is faster than Archer.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Warner owes the Aussies a big innings shirley, his batting contribution has been pitiful so far

He does. But I'm sure that him and Bancroft can continue to be worked over- especially Bancroft. I think Bancroft is only there because of Smith's withdrawal. Khawaja could open if Smith returns at Manchester with Labuschagne in at four.

England really need to step up here. I'd open with Denly and drop Roy down the order or altogether.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So Archer almost certain to be quickest during this test?

Yes. Cummins is more than capable of Archer's pace but isn't a speed merchant by trade.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Raining on the first morning. Another 'wedgee prediction gone wrong. :thumbsup:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Guess you’re right ....

It wasn't as the OP described. Not that hard a surface (and there are cracks already) and there was also a secondary grass covering.

On a hard, dry surface you always bat first unless the atmospherics are that good for bowling.

England took a gamble yesterday. With the weather as it stands it seems they have pulled it off- as long as the batting holds up. I wouldn't want to bat last on that pitch.

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
That change to the Thursday weather was very late, and has pretty much changed everything. You’re right they left more grass on, armed with that knowledge on day one weather pattern.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here