Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Bali

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Going to Bali early next year. Anyone on here been? Any advice on stuff to do or where to go/not go would be great. Thanks!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
don't drink the water , don't eat western food like chicken wraps or baked potatos , bag out on duty frees and only buy bottled beer when you out unless somewhere "ritzy" of which there are hundreds of places .....you can get a guide , taxi driver for about 15 quid a day but work out where you want to go as they will want to take you to touristy places for the kick back when you buy stuff.....dont jump in the volcano

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Ubud is great
Kuta is oz party town , a bit backpacker but good fun
Great diving on USS liberty - a wreck dive close to a beach - quite famous in diving world.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Sorry waste of money sooooooo many better places to go just what i think each to there own.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ah, Bali, i lived there for four years, love the place. Too ****ing crowded now, Eat Pray Love sent everyone there, rich Javanese have it as their holiday destination of choice. Still if you're there at the beginning of the year you are far more likely to get a better experience - a wetter one, but a bit of rain never hurt anyone...

I lived in Ubud, its a place to live and absorb and explore but kind of pointless for a day visit...

My recommendations - don't stay in kuta, legian, seminyak or canggu. Unless you just want to go clubbing, pull some aussie birds whilst watching the premier league in bars, skinny dipping at dawn, then fill your boots. Can be a lot of fun.

If you're touring around then the usual spots are still worth it - sunset fire dance at uluwatu, tick, climbing Mount batur for sunrise, a must do, dolphin watching at Lovina, amazingly still brilliant, spice tours around munduk, awesome scenery.

If you want the Bali of 30 years ago, the surfers paradise, the tropical hideaway, hire a car and just drive.... I've got three options. The first is the Bukit peninsula, the western side. Balangan is a gem, a village on the side of a cliff, little home stays and warungs dotted around, and great bbq fish on the beach at sunset. Padang padang to the south is also nice, and the surf breaks are heaven, on the right for beginners, on the left for the experts.

Second is Amed, a series of bays 3 hours east, go round the bays till the sandy beaches starts, celuk Bay and beyond. Quiet get away from it all spot. no surfing here but the diving is very nice on tulamben wreck and Amed Wall. Driest part of the island if its chucking it down elsewhere

Third, and where I always went on holiday, is not Bali at all but Lombok, the South coast of which is just Bali from the 80's and 90's, bay after bay of beautiful beaches, hidden surf spots and little cafes and bars. Stay in kuta Lombok and explore all the way east and west. Get there before the big hotels move in.

Of course once you've got the travel bug then just keep going east.... Komodo is heaven..... Raja Ampat is paradise.....

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Of course once you've got the travel bug then just keep going east.... Komodo is heaven..... Raja Ampat is paradise.....

Would agree with that sentiment. Sumbawa and Flores are both lovely. So is Timor (and Timor Leste, although it was still Timor Timur or 'Occupied East Timor' when I was there...). Sumba was (culturally) one of the most fascinating places I have ever been to.

I would have agreed about Komodo, but it appears to have been ruined since the cruise liners started over-running the place. Didn't I read somewhere recently that the Indonesian government is considering banning people almost entirely from the island to let it (and the dragons) recover? Same as the Thais did with Koh Phi Phi and the Filipinos did briefly with Boracay?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Too ****ing crowded now, Eat Pray Love sent everyone there.

Agree. Went in 1993 and it was great, went again in 2017 and it was totally different. Lombok and the Gillis are far less developed, if that's what you're after.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Would agree with that sentiment. Sumbawa and Flores are both lovely. So is Timor (and Timor Leste, although it was still Timor Timur or 'Occupied East Timor' when I was there...). Sumba was (culturally) one of the most fascinating places I have ever been to.

I would have agreed about Komodo, but it appears to have been ruined since the cruise liners started over-running the place. Didn't I read somewhere recently that the Indonesian government is considering banning people almost entirely from the island to let it (and the dragons) recover? Same as the Thais did with Koh Phi Phi and the Filipinos did briefly with Boracay?

The governor has said that, can't see the ministry agreeing but would be interesting if they did, certainly the national parks are under priced... Komodo Island itself is for sure the least interesting part of this region, but the whole komodo straits are wonderful, several small islands to stay on, and the underwater life.. Wow!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Agree. Went in 1993 and it was great, went again in 2017 and it was totally different. Lombok and the Gillis are far less developed, if that's what you're after.

This, forget Bali and go to Lombok

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I went a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Flew from London to Singapore, had a few days there which is always a great trip, then flew into Bali, taxi over to the port and go a boat over to the Gili Islands, spent about 5 days on Gili Air and had the most relaxing time ever. We had a private villa with a private pool, breakfast delivered each morning, took a swim, then went for a walk, found some lunch, chilled on the beach, drank Bintang, watched the sunset, walked home, got changed, back out for dinner and drinks. Swap with turtles, stand up paddle boarding, yoga, relaxing. It's a peaceful island, no roads, no cars. A bit too much rubbish lying about and too many abused donkeys. Oddly fast internet if you need to stream some football. Magic mushrooms seem to be the norm too and you can get them almost everywhere.

Boat back to Bali and a taxi up to Ubud after that for a few days, what a mad place! We stayed out of the centre, up in the jungle, again private villa/pool in a complex. We had a driver take us into town and bring us back when needed but literally every one in Ubud is a taxi driver. Constantly getting asked if I wanted a taxi, or they just drive and beep to everyone. Some good restaurants and cocktail bars, tons of Bintang too. Few shops if you're into that. Monkey forest and temples are cool. Best thing we did was get up super early, taxi up to Mt Batur and hike to the top for sunrise. Stunning! The next day I hired a bike and cycled around the mountains and got lost in the jungle, met some cool locals. There's also a bike park which is cool if thats your thing. Guide for the day to go see waterfalls, temples, wood carving

Sanur for the last couple days. Good food and drink, nicer beach. Relaxing.

It's cheap once you're there. Offers a party, activities, relaxation and cultural stuff if you want. I'm sure I'd go back one day.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Don't go to the south. It's hellish. Dirty beaches, dirty water and FULL of Aussies. Get scooters, head north, north east, north west and stay there.
I would consider getting off Bali, having a quick break in one of the smaller Gilis, and then getting to Lombok. It's far, far quieter and cleaner. Basically head east (and as people have said, Flores is absolutely gorgeous...you can fly there from Bali or Lombok for dirt cheap).

Edit:Seems most agree.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lombok for me. Haven’t been back to Bali for 10 years but was a touch saddened last visit at its westernisation

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here