Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion will host matches at the UEFA Womens EURO in 2021

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Brighton & Hove Albion are delighted to confirm that the Brighton & Hove Community Stadium has been selected as one of nine stadiums to host matches during the UEFA European Women’s Championship in 2021.

The nine stadiums selected are:

• Bramall Lane, Sheffield
• Brentford Community Stadium, London
• Brighton & Hove Community Stadium, Brighton & Hove
• Leigh Sports Village, Wigan & Leigh
• Manchester City Academy Stadium, Manchester
• New York Stadium, Rotherham
• Stadium MK, Milton Keynes
• St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton
• Wembley Stadium, London

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1319095/albion-to-host-uefa-womens-euro-matches-in-2021

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Doesn't look like there was much competition. Surely there must be 30K modern league grounds around other than ours. Leicester or Derby (all seater?).
Up for it though, will be good. Two European tournaments in one year played at the Amex, one for countries and one for clubs?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Meadow Lane in Nottingham and London Road in Peterborough were initially included on the list of stadiums when the Football Association submitted the bid to host the tournament. These were changed with the City Ground in Nottingham and St Mary's in Southampton due to UEFA requirements. The City Ground was replaced by Leigh Sports Village when the final list of venues was confirmed in August 2019

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
does really confirm Barbers point about the free advertising and money that the club brings to the town.Premier League, Rugby World Cup, and now Womens Euros massive TV exposure around the world. I see the council are crowing about it on Twitter about how Brighton and Hove had secured it, without mentioning that it was the club wot did it!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brighton & Hove Albion are delighted to confirm that the Brighton & Hove Community Stadium has been selected as one of nine stadiums to host matches during the UEFA European Women’s Championship in 2021.

The nine stadiums selected are:

• Bramall Lane, Sheffield
• Brentford Community Stadium, London
• Brighton & Hove Community Stadium, Brighton & Hove
• Leigh Sports Village, Wigan & Leigh
• Manchester City Academy Stadium, Manchester
• New York Stadium, Rotherham
• Stadium MK, Milton Keynes
• St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton
• Wembley Stadium, London

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1319095/albion-to-host-uefa-womens-euro-matches-in-2021

Really disappointed the Amex isn't on that list.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is.

Sponsorship named grounds are not allowed in International football.

If the Etihad held an international, it would be referred to as the City of Manchester stadium.

*cough* really.gif *cough*.

Sorry, I was larking about. I do that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This was done way before Ashworth's time here.

England's bid - which included the Amex - was the only one UEFA received.

surprised they didnt find some way to award it elsewhere.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure I asked this before when we hosted the ruggo but how much does the club benefit from this (in the form of cold hard cash)?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Presumably he's thinking Wembley is reserved for the final and that they are the next biggest? If so, both are only a few hundred over Stadium MK and the Amex.
I noticed on Sunday that Sheffield United had a smaller gate than ours. Surely their first game back was a sellout, especially considering palace would have certainly sold their tickets no problem, thanks very much sir.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here