Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The tactical foul

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There were a couple of times on Saturday when I was pissed off with our players for not taking a yellow. Then towards the end of the game West Ham took a yellow to stop us on the break. It has to be done.

We were saying exactly the same thing. At one point Lanzini carried the ball from the halfway line to our box unchallenged, creatimg a good chance for them to score a late winner.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't like them. It's cheating. It's deliberately breaking the laws of the game to gain an advantage you don't deserve/unfairly taking away an advantage an opponent has earned. To me, it is just as bad, if not worse than diving. Throw yourself to the ground and maybe, perhaps, you hurt yourself in the fall. Your own fault. Get it wrong when deliberately fouling an opponent and your cheating can hurt someone else.

It seems hypocritical, to me, that English football looks down it's nose at johnny foreigner and all his diving, while encouraging our own to cheat with these sorts of fouls, to champion the players that 'take one for the team'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dunk and Duffy both committed 22 fouls each last season. Pretty impressive for both our centrebacks to be committing on average less than a foul a game ? Maybe they should be DIRTIER.

Probably just as well they weren't. Given the way we sat back and defended, fouls by those two would be likely to be penalties!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I have to say that I hate the "tactical" foul and personally would like to see it removed from the game. I wouldn't use VAR but one idea that the AFL in Aus has is the match review panel. After the weekends matches all are watched again and dangerous fouls or overly aggressive behaviour are looked at and the player given the choice of a fine, a match ban or they can face the tribunal where if found guilty they receive a higher penalty than if they had copped it sweet. I see the deliberate fouling of a player to prevent a goal or break up a promising attack in the same league as diving. For some reason the FA doesn't seem to want to enforce their own rules.

//SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
serious foul play
biting or spitting at someone
violent conduct
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
receiving a second caution in the same match
entering the video operation room (VOR)
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.//

I guess the issue comes with the wording, define what an "obvious goal scoring opportunity is" which is why a match review panel and tribunal would be a better place to thrash this out. After a few players have been suspended for a couple of weeks the message would get out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably just as well they weren't. Given the way we sat back and defended, fouls by those two would be likely to be penalties!

Absolutely.

I think its an indicator of good positioning, they weren't lunging in on players with desperate tackles, instead choosing to stand off a little and concentrate on getting the block in. It also shows how disciplined they are in not giving away lots of silly little fouls with taps and tugs.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's been part of the game for the 40 years I have been watching football and all clubs do it and it's obviously wrong when the opposition do it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So it better for our defenders to take a yellow card, ok I'm sure I would feel much easier to spend say 80 minutes watching a game where our two wing backs were walking a tightrope.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A mate of mine has advocated the use of sin bins, where a yellow card isn't quite enough but a red card probably too much.

I'd agree with that. If a player commits one of those annoying tactical fouls, then give him the yellow card and sin bin him for 10 minutes. He might think twice about committing that foul if they're hanging on to a slender lead in the closing stages and that foul of his reduced them to 10 men (or less, if they've all been doing it).

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
I don't like them. It's cheating. It's deliberately breaking the laws of the game to gain an advantage you don't deserve/unfairly taking away an advantage an opponent has earned. To me, it is just as bad, if not worse than diving. Throw yourself to the ground and maybe, perhaps, you hurt yourself in the fall. Your own fault. Get it wrong when deliberately fouling an opponent and your cheating can hurt someone else.

It seems hypocritical, to me, that English football looks down it's nose at johnny foreigner and all his diving, while encouraging our own to cheat with these sorts of fouls, to champion the players that 'take one for the team'.

It comes down to whether you think a foul is 'breaking the rules' or just a part of the game. I think for these kind of fouls it's just part of the game. An extreme example, but Burn is caught offside then it's a foul but he's not cheating.

For me all fouls are part of the game and however intentional committing a foul should not be considered cheating. What it points to is that intentional fouls need greater punishments. I think that any foul where the referee deems they are intentionally trying to break up play should be a yellow card.

I agree though that the culture in this country is hypocritical with regard to diving: when the ball goes out for a throw or a corner/goal kick and everyone throws their hand up to claim it's their ball even when they know it's not. It's trying to trick the referee and is definitely cheating as far as I'm concerned even if it's on a much smaller scale.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We were saying exactly the same thing. At one point Lanzini carried the ball from the halfway line to our box unchallenged, creatimg a good chance for them to score a late winner.
I remember that exact one. I'd have been mad if they'd scored, we should have taken him down at the half way line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Stop the press, I completely disagree. Diving is cheating, because you're hoping to con the referee. We're not talking about conning the ref here. The ref will know what's happened, and give out the yellow as required under the rules. It's not a nice aspect of the game, no, but there's no bloody point being the only team that doesn't do it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Stop the press, I completely disagree. Diving is cheating, because you're hoping to con the referee. We're not talking about conning the ref here. The ref will know what's happened, and give out the yellow as required under the rules. It's not a nice aspect of the game, no, but there's no bloody point being the only team that doesn't do it.

Agreed. Perhaps a cynical, deliberate foul should be a red card offence but as long as it's not, we have to do it

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It comes down to whether you think a foul is 'breaking the rules' or just a part of the game.

It is most definitely breaking rules, it is a sending off offence. Here is the ruling:

Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It is most definitely breaking rules, it is a sending off offence. Here is the ruling:

Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick.

That's why you commit the foul before they get anywhere near the goal. Stop the counter before it gets going.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016

Also as annoyed when everyone puts their arms up to appeal for everything under the sun even when they know it's not? There are a ton of ways players try to con the ref which don't get chastised in the same way as diving.

As bad as diving for me and I don't get why people care about diving more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunk and Duffy both committed 22 fouls each last season. Pretty impressive for both our centrebacks to be committing on average less than a foul a game ? Maybe they should be DIRTIER.

Stats don’t tell the whole story though - without checking, I bet Murray committed the most fouls for us last season (none of which were cynically stopping breakaways though)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our ‘taking one for the team’ seems to be historically down to the CBs (and too close to our own area), but we need to be doing it much higher up the pitch to prevent breakaways. Suspect Potter will be all over this given our new shape.

I feel those are also always more likely to be a yellow card than getting a tactical foul in straight after possession change, i.e. before they've built up forward momentum.

By the time an opposition break gets to Dunk/Duffy any challenge then feels like a more serious foul than the likes of Andone just clipping an ankle cheekily near their area when we've just lost possession.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I really dont like "someone should have taken him out" the sentiment being shown here, but thinking back it has always been part of the game. I remember the the chant to bring on TANK when an opposition player was being a bit too effective, and sure enough the big cheer would go up when Teddy Maybank was brought on and targeted the player.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That's why you commit the foul before they get anywhere near the goal. Stop the counter before it gets going.

When we played city 2 years ago at Maine Road they committed a number of fouls outside OUR box to stop counter attacks , the intention was clear but none of them got booked. We had 4 bookings in the game as our fou's were in our half...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

These fouls are committed specifically to deny a potential goal-scoring opportunity. The simple answer is to penalise them with a potential goal-scoring opportunity. A penalty seems too harsh. So the answer is to book the player for the foul, and give a free-kick to be taken from anywhere outside the penalty box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here