Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The tactical foul

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
In the Dan Burn thread I mentioned that I thought Davy Propper should have fouled Lanzini on 2 occasions, to breakup the potential counter.

This from the BBC seems to back up my feeling, that we are a little naive when it comes to the tactical foul.

Screenshot_20190820-123409_BBC Sport.jpg

So should we be more streetwise, or are we just playing fair and be commended for our sporting conduct?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
in 2018-19 we would retreat when losing the ball and fall back into shape so the first 'engagement' where a foul could be conducted would usually take longer.

If we are now pressing further up the pitch, the chances are we will tackle, and subsequently foul, much sooner.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Definitely...something we’ve chatted about in WSL a few times. We’ve been a bit naive in this respect. Burn missed chance to do this on Saturday in the build up to the WH goal too (assume that’s what the OP is referring to)

Our ‘taking one for the team’ seems to be historically down to the CBs (and too close to our own area), but we need to be doing it much higher up the pitch to prevent breakaways. Suspect Potter will be all over this given our new shape.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Shirley the stat should read time of a foul from losing the ball? as written it implies there is always a foul, distorts teams that foul frequently compared to those that dont.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have often commented at games that the best teams a very quick to stop the opposition as soon as they gain possession and this proves it once again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not strictly relevant to this particular stat perhaps, but in terms of the number of fouls commited, we do have the dirtiest player in the Premier League playing for us. Glenn commited 80 fouls last season - significantly ahead of 2nd place McArthur and Mitrovic, who both fouled 61 times.

The next dirtiest player for BHA was Stephens, on 44.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
So one minute we're complaining about var's disruption on the flow of the game, and now we're discussing how our team need to start taking advantage of fouling the opposition.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given our pace last season we probably couldn't catch them to foul them in the first place...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dunk and Duffy both committed 22 fouls each last season. Pretty impressive for both our centrebacks to be committing on average less than a foul a game ? Maybe they should be DIRTIER.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the Dan Burn thread I mentioned that I thought Davy Propper should have fouled Lanzini on 2 occasions, to breakup the potential counter.

This from the BBC seems to back up my feeling, that we are a little naive when it comes to the tactical foul.
So should we be more streetwise, or are we just playing fair and be commended for our sporting conduct?
There were a couple of times on Saturday when I was pissed off with our players for not taking a yellow. Then towards the end of the game West Ham took a yellow to stop us on the break. It has to be done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Definitely...something we’ve chatted about in WSL a few times. We’ve been a bit naive in this respect. Burn missed chance to do this on Saturday in the build up to the WH goal too (assume that’s what the OP is referring to)

Our ‘taking one for the team’ seems to be historically down to the CBs (and too close to our own area), but we need to be doing it much higher up the pitch to prevent breakaways. Suspect Potter will be all over this given our new shape.
I hope you're right, because he doesn't seem to have been all over it yet.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Dunk and Duffy both committed 22 fouls each last season. Pretty impressive for both our centrebacks to be committing on average less than a foul a game ? Maybe they should be DIRTIER.

Probably better if the fouls are committed by other players further from our goal. Giving away freekicks in shooting distance is not a good idea!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don't want them fouling in or near the box, we want others taking one for the team at the half way line.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
There were a couple of times on Saturday when I was pissed off with our players for not taking a yellow. Then towards the end of the game West Ham took a yellow to stop us on the break. It has to be done.

That was Rice on Montoya, in the centre circle, when we were on a quick counter. For a young lad he is a great player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here