Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Stadia (Google)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Music is different, because you tend to want to keep it forever. Games, however, have more of a sell-by-date. We don't tend to play games that we bought 10 years ago, because technology advances so much. Not that we can't play older games - Steam and Xbox aren't going anywhere. I've had the Xbox one since launch, and all of my games are digital.

Yeah, I've still got my PS2. Occasionally give that a spin.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Ha, what a load of crap. This will be NOWHERE near as good as my Phantom console, once it gets delivered. Any day now I’m sure.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Isn't the whole selling point of Stadia that it isn't static - that you can play it on any device that runs Google Chrome? So you could be sitting anywhere with a laptop/phone/tablet and an internet connection and play. It makes a lot more sense to get Stadia than a second hand console.

It'll be free (minus paying for the games) in 2020 and personally, I'd wait until then to let them iron out any kinks. Get an Xbox One controller second hand and you'll be good to go and won't have wasted a huge amount on the founders edition.

If 4K is a necessity then you'll have to pay, but I'd be wary of a) requiring a 4K monitor at all times to get what you are paying for and b) the actual streaming quality of 4K on day one. If this is important then go and get an Xbox One X instead as it will be a better static option.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn't the whole selling point of Stadia that it isn't static - that you can play it on any device that runs Google Chrome? So you could be sitting anywhere with a laptop/phone/tablet and an internet connection and play.
Sure, but you can already be sitting anywhere with any of those devices and play a game.
It makes a lot more sense to get Stadia than a second hand console.
To you maybe, but not to me, and not to millions of others.
Get an Xbox One controller second hand and you'll be good to go
The Xbox One controllers don't last long enough, so I'd try and get one new if you can.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Sure, but you can already be sitting anywhere with any of those devices and play a game.

Not AAA games though (bar laptop but Stadia acts as a future proof console for that market)

To you maybe, but not to me, and not to millions of others.

Absolutely, but the thread/first post implies that the OP wants to have a decent gaming experience (I read as playing new games)

The Xbox One controllers don't last long enough, so I'd try and get one new if you can.

Mine have lasted the lifetime of the console which is coming up to five years - and who knows what the Stadia controllers will be like. The suggestion is based on the multi-functionality of the Xbox One controller as it doubles up as a PC controller that is confirmed to work with Stadia and Steam and Origin.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
needs a fat internet to deliver,

Is this fat enough, also unlimited DL :wink: Screenshot from 2019-07-10 04-37-11.png

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Seriously though the connection doesnt need to be all that 'Fat" here I the specs I just pulled from Tom's Hardware

Here are the recommended internet speeds you’ll need in order to enjoy different levels of gameplay quality on Stadia, according to Google.

35 Mbps: 4K, 60 frames per second, HDR 5.1 surround sound
20 Mbps: 1080p, 60 fps, HDR, 5.1 surround sound
10 Mbps: 720p, 60 fps, stereo sound

This is a good article. https://www.gamesradar.com/au/google-stadia-bandwidth-requirement/

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Pass. Honestly can’t imagine why anyone would want this.

Nailed on to be off the market within 2 years.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

This, can see it being a right laggy glitchy mess. May appeal to the casual gamer or Switch crowd, so will probably be a good money maker for google while it lasts.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This, can see it being a right laggy glitchy mess. May appeal to the casual gamer or Switch crowd, so will probably be a good money maker for google while it lasts.
Dunno so much, Google dont make many full scale errors and they certainly have the resources to get it working, but yes it is also dependent on a third party I.E. the ISP's, so this could cause issues. Certainly with the cost of keeping a gaming PC up to specs that would give 4k at 60fps it could be very attractive to people. It would clearly depend on the maths, cost of subscription vs cost of upgrades. One thing a decent uptake would potentially do is force the GPU and chip manufactures to drop their prices.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'll probably be down for this as I can't be arsed having a console, PC and games sitting around anymore and just want to play Cyberpunk in 4K.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Isn't the whole selling point of Stadia that it isn't static - that you can play it on any device that runs Google Chrome? So you could be sitting anywhere with a laptop/phone/tablet and an internet connection and play. It makes a lot more sense to get Stadia than a second hand console.

One immediate problem with that concept is that from launch, only Pixel phones are supported if you want to play on mobile. There will most probably be unofficial ways to get round that at first, but if Google take their time introducing it to others, then that's poor.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

I'm saying it won't.

When it's £50-70 or so, it will represent a very affordable route into HD gaming.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seriously though the connection doesnt need to be all that 'Fat" here I the specs I just pulled from Tom's Hardware

Here are the recommended internet speeds you’ll need in order to enjoy different levels of gameplay quality on Stadia, according to Google.

35 Mbps: 4K, 60 frames per second, HDR 5.1 surround sound
20 Mbps: 1080p, 60 fps, HDR, 5.1 surround sound
10 Mbps: 720p, 60 fps, stereo sound

This is a good article. https://www.gamesradar.com/au/google-stadia-bandwidth-requirement/

Great article and interesting hands on link. :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not AAA games though (bar laptop but Stadia acts as a future proof console for that market)
No indeed not AAA, but then we're yet to see how well these other devices do with AAA games using Stadia. I'm not convinced playing Battlefield on your Pixel phone is going to cut it.
Absolutely, but the thread/first post implies that the OP wants to have a decent gaming experience (I read as playing new games)
You can play new games on a second hand console. You can buy an Xbox One or PS4 second hand.

Mine have lasted the lifetime of the console which is coming up to five years
It will of course depend on how much you use them, but my experience has not been good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Certainly with the cost of keeping a gaming PC up to specs that would give 4k at 60fps it could be very attractive to people.
But you don't need to keep a gaming PC up to spec, because some games are already 4k 60fps on an Xbox, and next year's Xbox will be able to do practically all games at 4k 60fps.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This I did not know. I thought playstation and xbox were still 720p
The original PS4 was more capable than the original Xbox One. The PS4 did most games at 1080p, 30fps. The Xbox One would more often use 720p, or 940p, but for Forza 5 (which was in house) they were able to do 1080p at 60fps. But those are the old consoles.

The PS4 Pro is more powerful than the PS4, and the Xbox One X (X1X) is the most powerful console, at something like 6 times the power of the Xbox One. The X1X can do games at 4k 60fps, but most developers set them to 30fps still. Unfortunately the console market isn't as demanding as the PC market, so they don't have to provide 60fps. With the next Xbox however, which is only 15 months away, there'll be little excuse not to provide 60fps since the console will be even more powerful than what we have now. The Stadia consumers are likely to be a lot less demanding, so I imagine we'll see lower frame rates there.

I'd be interested to see whether the system suffers from latency issues with fps games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here