Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Stadia (Google)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Anyone ordering Stadia founders addition or got any opinions as to how good Stadia will turn out to be compared with X-Box and PS4 and upcoming PS5? I haven't really gamed much for years but something about this caught my attention. I suppose I like the simplicity and the fact that one doesn't need an expensive console for a decent experience.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
needs a fat internet to deliver, even then will not be great for some types of games. probably be good for casual gamers who'd rather pay a few pound a month than console plus lots on games.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The last panel in this comic sums up my feelings on it pretty well.

i-XZk8XBL-2100x20000.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
needs a fat internet to deliver, even then will not be great for some types of games. probably be good for casual gamers who'd rather pay a few pound a month than console plus lots on games.

Probably most people have fast enough internet for at least 1080p, and yeah I agree I fit that demographic.

The last panel in this comic sums up my feelings on it pretty well.

View attachment 114505

Agreed, Google has a poor history dropping it services, some of which were really successful and popular. I suppose that is concerning if one invests in it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Probably most people have fast enough internet for at least 1080p, and yeah I agree I fit that demographic.

Agreed, Google has a poor history dropping it services, some of which were really successful and popular. I suppose that is concerning if one invests in it.

Absolutely. It's not just Google either; I'm wary of buying digital (games / films / music / whatever) just in case the platform I've used to buy those things suddenly becomes unavailable.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

For seemless streaming of games you would need a download speed of around 30mbs wired and with no others taking bandwidth. My area can only get 30 as its top speed, and with others in the household, my games will be laggy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£8.99 a month isn't it?

I imagine you could get a second hand console and a bundle of games for what you'd shell out in a year on Stadia.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For seemless streaming of games you would need a download speed of around 30mbs wired and with no others taking bandwidth. My area can only get 30 as its top speed, and with others in the household, my games will be laggy.

I have a fast enough connection to get 4k, I think you are right that wired is better though. Interesting that Google intends to run it on a TV with a Chromecast Ultra.

£8.99 a month isn't it?

I imagine you could get a second hand console and a bundle of games for what you'd shell out in a year on Stadia.

Yeah, that's true. I am attracted by the pretty graphics lol. Google has let out that there will also be separate fees for individual software companies, that would bump the monthly fee up a lot if say you wanted access to one or more of those outside the monthly fee for Stadia. There's quite a lot of criticism as to its cost worthiness. I wonder how good the free service will be?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You'll still have to buy 99% of the available games.
And by buy, I mean 'permanently' renting from the cloud.

You'll get potentially 1 free game per month with the subscription.

My advice would be to save your pennies and wait for further news on xbox and their upcoming console and cloud streaming service, which will likely be better imo.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suppose I like the simplicity and the fact that one doesn't need an expensive console for a decent experience.
And Xbox One S is £180 including the controller. A PS4 is £250, including a game or a second controller.

Stadia founders edition costs £120, plus £9 a month after 3 months.

I'm not really sure who'll be using it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely. It's not just Google either; I'm wary of buying digital (games / films / music / whatever) just in case the platform I've used to buy those things suddenly becomes unavailable.
Music is different, because you tend to want to keep it forever. Games, however, have more of a sell-by-date. We don't tend to play games that we bought 10 years ago, because technology advances so much. Not that we can't play older games - Steam and Xbox aren't going anywhere. I've had the Xbox one since launch, and all of my games are digital.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And Xbox One S is £180 including the controller. A PS4 is £250, including a game or a second controller.

Stadia founders edition costs £120, plus £9 a month after 3 months.

I'm not really sure who'll be using it.

If you take the £70 a Chromecast Ultra costs, then it doesn't sound quite so bad. But I think reading around, that is hard to see who it will appeal to as I think the entry point is probably too high for casual gamers (like me) to buy into.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just seen the cost of the game controller + chromecast dongle for £120. puts me off looking further, when you can get a PS3/Xbox 360 and handful of games for half that. sure not the latest games, but for the casual gamer a better option imo.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
just seen the cost of the game controller + chromecast dongle for £120. puts me off looking further, when you can get a PS3/Xbox 360 and handful of games for half that. sure not the latest games, but for the casual gamer a better option imo.

Like all other console launches, it's priced towards the early adopter. Will soon come down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you take the £70 a Chromecast Ultra costs, then it doesn't sound quite so bad. But I think reading around, that is hard to see who it will appeal to as I think the entry point is probably too high for casual gamers (like me) to buy into.
I think you can look out for the cheaper version that comes out next year.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think you can look out for the cheaper version that comes out next year.

Cheaper version of Chromecast Ultra? That'd be good. I have a few original Chromecasts and they are great. My TV however has mostly superseded their use though although I would like the greater integration with GH back that the Ultra offers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here