Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Making the perfect cuppa.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Leave the teabag in with just a splash of milk (soya for 2 years now)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

That seems like a *bit* too long to keep a cup of tea, if you don't mind me saying... :lol:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It infuses fine if you strain the bag with the back of the spoon. The tea has a more creamy texture, it's less watery.

Who in the name of Beelzebub wants their tea to be ****ing CREAMY!?

You disgust me.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What is a perfect cuppa? When l served tea at volunteer functions,, everybody wanted it different. I was bemused by big strong men wanting their brew weak and milky..........Me, I say it should be as strong as it comes and no milk please.
I

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Look for goodness sake, the tea has to be infused into boiling (i.e 100 degree) water. Anything else just ruins the flavour. If you put the milk in the cup first or even if you put the boiling water into the cup before adding the bag, the water will only be in the 80's or low 90's. If you make it in a pot, the purpose of 'scalding out the pot' (i.e. puting some boiling water in, swishing it around and then pouring it away), is to raise the temperature of the pot so that when you add the tea bags and boiling water for the actual live tea, it remains close to 100 degrees while it infuses. A tea cosy also helps.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't read anymore answers that do not have 'warm the pot' somewhere near the beginning of the instructions.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Simple you grind the Coffee, tamp it down nicely into the expresso filter, express for about 25 seconds .........................Oh you mean Tea, use a bag :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm guessing you're on permanent dialysis?
If so, I know how hard it must be, having a father in law who sucks on ice cubes, which is included in his daily liquid intake.

Ha. I eat ice chips a lot, it seem much more refreshing than drinking. Yes, I'm on dialysis - but I do it at home, myself. I have been for 5 years.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ha. I eat ice chips a lot, it seem much more refreshing than drinking. Yes, I'm on dialysis - but I do it at home, myself. I have been for 5 years.

Blimey, that's good, you have to be very dedicated.
My FIL goes to Bexhill from Hastings and sometimes Brighton, where he gets picked up by transport.
This is three times a week, best describing the day of dialysis, as the body going through a marathon.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Simple you grind the Coffee, tamp it down nicely into the expresso filter, express for about 25 seconds .........................Oh you mean Tea, use a bag :)

Coffee has its place, mid morning onwards. The day should always start with tea.

Oh, and prison (instant) coffee should be made illegal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Look for goodness sake, the tea has to be infused into boiling (i.e 100 degree) water. Anything else just ruins the flavour.
If it's black tea, you want it over 95 degrees. Whether it's 98, 99 or 100, you wouldn't notice, unless you've burnt the tea (yes, you can burn tea). You're not going to notice a degree here or there.
If you put the milk in the cup first or even if you put the boiling water into the cup before adding the bag, the water will only be in the 80's or low 90's.
If you put milk in the cup first, it's going to be a complete disaster. If you poor boiling water into a mug, and then add the teabag, it will indeed be shit, but not because the temperature has dropped to the 80s or 90s. Jesus, are you living at -100 or something? It will be because the teabag is full of air and that's not all replaced by the water.

If you make it in a pot, the purpose of 'scalding out the pot' (i.e. puting some boiling water in, swishing it around and then pouring it away), is to raise the temperature of the pot so that when you add the tea bags and boiling water for the actual live tea, it remains close to 100 degrees while it infuses.
That's incorrect. The real reason you raise the temperature of the pot is to stop the pot cracking when you suddenly fill it will boiling water.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Blimey, that's good, you have to be very dedicated.
My FIL goes to Bexhill from Hastings and sometimes Brighton, where he gets picked up by transport.
This is three times a week, best describing the day of dialysis, as the body going through a marathon.

It's not that I'm dedicated necessarily, but doing it at home gives me a bit more life. I know what it's like to dialyse in Brighton 3 times a week and it takes over your life - they do 4 hour sessions and with all the waiting for transport it takes the whole day. That 3 times a week is not great. At home I do shorter sessions, maybe 2 hours, but do it 4 or 5 times a week. It's much better, but not great. No choice until a transplant comes through.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's not that I'm dedicated necessarily, but doing it at home gives me a bit more life. I know what it's like to dialyse in Brighton 3 times a week and it takes over your life - they do 4 hour sessions and with all the waiting for transport it takes the whole day. That 3 times a week is not great. At home I do shorter sessions, maybe 2 hours, but do it 4 or 5 times a week. It's much better, but not great. No choice until a transplant comes through.

Any chance of that soon?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Any chance of that soon?

Hopefully not too far off. I managed to get bowel cancer 5 years ago, so got suspended from the transplant list for 5 years - so I'm just trying to get back on now. The good thing is that those 5 years are not wasted, they count towards my waiting time, so I keep being told that if I can get back on the waiting list it "ought" to happen very quickly. But who knows.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hopefully not too far off. I managed to get bowel cancer 5 years ago, so got suspended from the transplant list for 5 years - so I'm just trying to get back on now. The good thing is that those 5 years are not wasted, they count towards my waiting time, so I keep being told that if I can get back on the waiting list it "ought" to happen very quickly. But who knows.

Ok, best of luck chap ��

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Fresh water in kettle; bring to the boil.
Warm the teapot before adding one teaspoon of loose leaf tea per mug plus one for the pot.
Pour on boiling water and leave to mash for however long you want; a cosy could come in handy here.
Pour tea through strainer into mug and add milk.
Repeat as often as necessary.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here