Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Making the perfect cuppa.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fresh water in kettle; bring to the boil.
Warm the teapot before adding one teaspoon of loose leaf tea per mug plus one for the pot.
Pour on boiling water and leave to mash for however long you want; a cosy could come in handy here.
Pour tea through strainer into mug and add milk.
Repeat as often as necessary.

Milk in cup first for potted tea. Always. And no Hobbit tea either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stops the cold pot cooling the boiling water as they come in contact.
I understand the story, but it really doesn't make the tea taste different. It does, however, crack some pots if they're taken from cold to 100c quickly.

I've studied tea and tea making, taken a master tea course, I've blind tasted teas made with water at varying temperatures, with both fresh and pre-boiled water, with milk added before and after. Many things do make a difference, but I've never seen someone be able to tell the difference in taste as to whether a pot was warmed first or not. A tea cosy is more likely to make a difference, as the temperature does drop reasonably quickly, but it will depend on the leaves/bags you're using.

I'm confident I could make you several cups of tea, with your choice of leaf/bag, and you wouldn't be able to tell whether the pot was warmed first or not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Milk in cup first for potted tea. Always.
Personally I agree, and I sometimes do the same with a mug of tea. I treat one mug as if it's the pot, and pour it into another mug. It tastes different.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fresh water in kettle; bring to the boil.
Warm the teapot before adding one teaspoon of loose leaf tea per mug plus one for the pot.
Pour on boiling water and leave to mash for however long you want; a cosy could come in handy here.
Pour tea through strainer into mug and add milk.
Repeat as often as necessary.

What a faff. This isn't 1954.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I understand the story, but it really doesn't make the tea taste different. It does, however, crack some pots if they're taken from cold to 100c quickly.

I've studied tea and tea making, taken a master tea course, I've blind tasted teas made with water at varying temperatures, with both fresh and pre-boiled water, with milk added before and after. Many things do make a difference, but I've never seen someone be able to tell the difference in taste as to whether a pot was warmed first or not. A tea cosy is more likely to make a difference, as the temperature does drop reasonably quickly, but it will depend on the leaves/bags you're using.

I'm confident I could make you several cups of tea, with your choice of leaf/bag, and you wouldn't be able to tell whether the pot was warmed first or not.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. It would take a lot of evidence to convince me that warming the pot doesn't make a difference to the taste. My anecdotal evidence says it tastes different and a quick Google shows most tea dedicated sites agree that warming the pot ensures the water stays close to boiling.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I tried that for wife and she didnt like it said it tasted stewed so will revert to bag in cup and add boiling water then milk.
Stewed? That doesn't sound right. Teabag should come out at the same time as usual. It's not like u've never had tea from a teapot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here