Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton game postponed...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...st-doncaster-due-to-welfare-concerns-football

Boltons home game v Doncaster on Tuesday has been binned off by their administrators due to "welfare concerns for the young squad". Their team is packed full of teenagers / youth players who have had to play every game so far this season, as they couldn't make any signings.

Blimey, what a can of worms this opens up. I guess everyone can appreciate the reasons and have SOME sympathy. But if I was Doncaster, I'd be properly macked off at this decision. Its very unfair on them, who (rightly or not) will look on this as a missed opportunity of getting 3 points. Instead, presumably they'll potentially have to play them later on in the season when Bolton have had a chance to get their act together (assuming the buy-out goes through). Incredible that they can just arbitrarily decide to do this.

What can the EFL do ? You'd assume they'll have to throw the book at them, but Bolton already started the season on minus 12 points, so....another points deduction ? What a shambles League One is going to be this season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What can the EFL do ? You'd assume they'll have to throw the book at them, but Bolton already started the season on minus 12 points, so....another points deduction ? What a shambles League One is going to be this season.

Easy, don't fulfil a game lose three points. Happens at the poor mans level of football.

SAC

May 21, 2014
They should award Tranmere a 3-0 victory and make Bolton pay the expenses of any travelling fans.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A big fine, 3 - 0 and lose the points, happens to everyone else

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy, don't fulfil a game lose three points. Happens at the poor mans level of football.

Surely they can't keep doing it though - they've only played 4 games so far. How many times between now and January can they swerve a fixture due to this ?? I've never heard of anything like it.

I guess once the sale goes through they can (potentially) sign some free agents to bolster things, but in the meantime, bloody hell.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Surely they can't keep doing it though - they've only played 4 games so far. How many times between now and January can they swerve a fixture due to this ?? I've never heard of anything like it.

I guess once the sale goes through they can (potentially) sign some free agents to bolster things, but in the meantime, bloody hell.

It really is a difficult situation for the Football League, they have two in the same crisis in the same division at the same time. It rarely happens. I think they just need to ride the season out with Bury and Bolton and then kick them out of the league if they haven't got their shit together. I find it extremely sad that both clubs are in this situation, very old clubs with a great tradition. I don't think there is a correct decision/solution except just awarding three points against them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
People wanted to kick the Albion out of the league in 1997. We didn't have a ground to play at.

It's about time the EFL really did have a fit and proper persons test.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It really is a difficult situation for the Football League, they have two in the same crisis in the same division at the same time. It rarely happens. I think they just need to ride the season out with Bury and Bolton and then kick them out of the league if they haven't got their shit together. I find it extremely sad that both clubs are in this situation, very old clubs with a great tradition. I don't think there is a correct decision/solution except just awarding three points against them.

I feel very sorry for the poor old Football League

The problem that they have, is that if they keep mismanaging the game as currently, it will be more than two clubs in trouble next season.

Chancers

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People wanted to kick the Albion out of the league in 1997. We didn't have a ground to play at.

It's about time the EFL really did have a fit and proper persons test.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the EFL are in something of an invidious position when it comes to deciding who is a "fit and proper person" to own a football club. Unless the person has a track record of insolvencies, or convictions for fraud, what exactly can they check for ?

Add to the fact that if a club is in financial trouble, they desperately need someone to come in and buy it and rescue them. But the EFL then say "actually, sorry, we don't like the look of this bloke. No deal". So administration follows, along with a 12 point deduction. How would fans react to that ? Quite apart from the legalities that could follow if the EFL blocks the purchase of a club.

"Bad owners" don't rock up with a sign saying "I'm really going to screw this club over". Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Could have been a fund raising night for Bolton, match tickets £15 or £150 and you are in the matchday squad.

A real mess that needs to be concluded quickly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the EFL are in something of an invidious position when it comes to deciding who is a "fit and proper person" to own a football club. Unless the person has a track record of insolvencies, or convictions for fraud, what exactly can they check for ?

Add to the fact that if a club is in financial trouble, they desperately need someone to come in and buy it and rescue them. But the EFL then say "actually, sorry, we don't like the look of this bloke. No deal". So administration follows, along with a 12 point deduction. How would fans react to that ? Quite apart from the legalities that could follow if the EFL blocks the purchase of a club.

"Bad owners" don't rock up with a sign saying "I'm really going to screw this club over". Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I read somewhere the Bury owner has been in charge of a number of businesses that have gone under and they still allowed it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Didn’t the wonderful EFL give Brentford a 3 point deduction a couple of seasons ago under similar circumstances?

That’s the least Bolton deserve and as [MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10 said you’d have a modicum of sympathy [writing was on the wall when the Dean Holdsworth take over went pear shaped] but we all know the reason given is spurious. Footballers just want to play no matter the age or circumstances so it’s just a distraction tactic to get game postponed until later in the season.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Charlton's owners didn't have a good record and Blackpool's previous owner was a convicted rapist. I believe the Leeds chairman had dodgy dealings in Italy (or was that the previous one?)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Charlton's owners didn't have a good record and Blackpool's previous owner was a convicted rapist. I believe the Leeds chairman had dodgy dealings in Italy (or was that the previous one?)

Owen Oyston was convicted of rape after he bought Blackpool I think, not before, so would have passed any test that checked convictions.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here