Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - shirt pull - VAR review

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Perhaps the refs are letting things go, relying on VAR to call it if it was a foul. Meanwhile, the VAR officials are thinking 'that looks like a penalty, but the ref has seen it and thought it wasn't enough to warrant a penalty, and it's not a big enough error for us to overturn it'.

It's going to take some time until they get it working well.
I think there is a definite risk of this. You can see it in cricket, where umpires who know teams still have reviews left seem reluctant to give decisions.

I too could see the shirt pulling incident on Burn, from WSU as well, and squealed for a copper to no effect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I hate VAR but this is where I do like their interpretation. Only if it's an absolutely blatant error by the ref (like Hoops a few years back ridiculously giving a penalty against Calde) should they get involved. For me neither the Burn one or the Man City one fall into this category. I only want them to get involved if the ref has dropped an absolute clanger.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was reserving judgement until I had seen it again.

I at first thought it looked a stonewall pen. But looking at this replay it isn't a penalty at all, very little in it....

This isn't the incident in the OP though. The incident talked about involved half his shirt being pulled up to his chest area.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Sorry OP I’m all for penalties like these (eg Kane at the World Cup), but this one isn’t a penalty in a million years. Burn is looking for it if anything.

I would more question the offside rules no longer being fit for purpose with Var. Has to be daylight between, none of this “he’s blatantly offside look his toe is 5cm over the line” bollocks.

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
Saw this live and was convinced it was a penalty. Saw replays and firmly changed my mind- not much in it.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
This isn't the incident in the OP though. The incident talked about involved half his shirt being pulled up to his chest area.

In the last 15 minutes or so there were three corners to Brighton. The first (74th minute) Dan Burn was pulling someone else's shirt, the second (85th minute) Burn wasn't in contact with anyone, so I figured it must be the one I provided (90th minute)...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You may be correct but from that angle I can't see much skin. I think the OP mentioned nipple but I couldn't say his shirt was up that far, but there was definitely an occasion when his shirt was pulled up quite high.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stand corrected. On the day in the heat of the moment it was right in front of me and looked completely stonewall.

On considered replay and reflection I withdraw my complaint.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought both were holding, which, if I'm correct would be the answer.

The VAR doesn't look at the incident and ask 'would I give that?' he looks at and and asks 'can I see why the ref gave that, based on what he told me he saw?'. If the ref tells the VAR 'both were holding each other' the VAR can't look at and say 'yeah, but the west ham player was doing it worse than the brighton player so you should give a penalty', he has to say 'yep, both holding, can see why you made that decision, your decision stands'.

Blimey.

My original concern about VAR was that if VAR could only be used if the ref called for it, it wouldn't work because refs would subconsciously or deliberately sabotage it. I would if I were a ref. I wouldn't want some silly bugger overruling me.

But is this what happens? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm surprised that some hard Varista, the VAR equivalent of PPF, hasn't posted: Dry your eyes, VAR means VAR.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry OP I’m all for penalties like these (eg Kane at the World Cup), but this one isn’t a penalty in a million years. Burn is looking for it if anything.

I would more question the offside rules no longer being fit for purpose with Var. Has to be daylight between, none of this “he’s blatantly offside look his toe is 5cm over the line” bollocks.

Agree! That would make VAR offside decisions more palatable.

I am going to have to wean myself off the VAR threads. VAR is here to stay, but laws need to be changed. I've said it again and again and I'm bored now, and at risk of doing a Kryten

EnlightenedOblongAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Surely if the ref indicated VAR was looking at it, then the screen should have said 'penalty check', 'no penalty'?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Surely if the ref indicated VAR was looking at it, then the screen should have said 'penalty check', 'no penalty'?

You would like to think wouldnt you but they arent putting it up on the screen MOTD showed the VAR review of it though so they did.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Perhaps the refs are letting things go, relying on VAR to call it if it was a foul. Meanwhile, the VAR officials are thinking 'that looks like a penalty, but the ref has seen it and thought it wasn't enough to warrant a penalty, and it's not a big enough error for us to overturn it'.

It's going to take some time until they get it working well.

I heard today that the referees are saying that when they’ve seen something and decided it’s not a foul/pen/red card, it has to be a completely incorrect decision for the VAR to overturn. Ref in constant communication just says ‘yes, I saw that, not a penalty’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here