Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - shirt pull - VAR review

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Baffled there doesn't seem to be a thread on this.

We had a corner right near the end of the game. Dan Burn's shirt was being pulled so hard you could see his NIPPLE (I screamed for a policeman, naturally). It reminded me of the ludicrous rugby tactics on Harry Kane in a couple of the World Cup matches.

What's more, afterwards it appeared that the ref (Taylor?) asked everyone to wait while he put his hand to his ear for a VAR check. Me and others around me were pretty much celebrating the penalty already, as it was as clear cut a pen as you could wish for and we were certain it would be given.

Yet, nothing. Anyone else notice all this and think it was a bit ridiculous?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
There was a similar situation in the City game. The defender had hands around Rodri's neck and pulled him to the floor and it wasn't given. Stonewall penalty.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There was a similar situation in the City game. The defender had hands around Rodri's neck and pulled him to the floor and it wasn't given. Stonewall penalty.

Genuinely makes me feel like I don't understand what the rules are around holding/wrestling in the box. So, it's allowed?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Human error, despite VAR (although I do think the OP is on a wind up) :wink:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Human error, despite VAR (although I do think the OP is on a wind up) :wink:

No wind up at all.

Burn's shirt was being pulled so hard that he was pretty much horizontal. The clearest pen you could ever see. So I'm completely baffled how they could go to VAR for it and deem it not a foul.

Therefore, pulling/wrestling in the box is completely allowed, it appears.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Baffled there doesn't seem to be a thread on this.

We had a corner right near the end of the game. Dan Burn's shirt was being pulled so hard you could see his NIPPLE (I screamed for a policeman, naturally). It reminded me of the ludicrous rugby tactics on Harry Kane in a couple of the World Cup matches.

What's more, afterwards it appeared that the ref (Taylor?) asked everyone to wait while he put his hand to his ear for a VAR check. Me and others around me were pretty much celebrating the penalty already, as it was as clear cut a pen as you could wish for and we were certain it would be given.

Yet, nothing. Anyone else notice all this and think it was a bit ridiculous?

Same at Man City vs Tottenham. And a cast iron pen missed For Bournemouth at Villa

Current use of VAR is a huge mess

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No wind up at all.

Burn's shirt was being pulled so hard that he was pretty much horizontal. The clearest pen you could ever see. So I'm completely baffled how they could go to VAR for it and deem it not a foul.

Therefore, pulling/wrestling in the box is completely allowed, it appears.

Fair enough, not a wind up, but confused why you only bring it up now with all the VAR discussions going on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
VAR seems happy to cancel goals, but not to give in favour of penalties. at least its consistent in this so far.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I also saw this but had completely forgotten it in the myriad of other var threads. What an accursed thing var is. It is pretty disgusting that west ham got away with that, so all those saying 'yeah but var will even out' well it didn't in that match at all and completely favoured w ham.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
VAR seems happy to cancel goals, but not to give in favour of penalties. at least its consistent in this so far.

The whole purpose of football is to score goals, but referees and VAR seem keen to stamp this practise out.

Yes, we saw Burn being molested in the penalty area and also commented on the referee seemingly ignoring it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair enough, not a wind up, but confused why you only bring it up now with all the VAR discussions going on.

Haven't been on NSC much since Saturday - nothing more sinister than that. My point wasn't really to have another dig at VAR, more my genuine confusion as to what the rules are around wrestling in the box.

Also to be honest I think there is going to be "all the VAR discussions going on" for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I also saw this but had completely forgotten it in the myriad of other var threads. What an accursed thing var is. It is pretty disgusting that west ham got away with that, so all those saying 'yeah but var will even out' well it didn't in that match at all and completely favoured w ham.

It never will even out, and in reply to someone that said 'in ten years time', I won't be watching in ten years time if we have to put up with this.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Haven't been on NSC much since Saturday - nothing more sinister than that. My point wasn't really to have another dig at VAR, more my genuine confusion as to what the rules are around wrestling in the box.

Also to be honest I think there is going "all the VAR discussions going on" for the foreseeable future. :lol:

No it's fine mate, you've been on here a long time, wasn't sure if you were on a wind up :lol:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I saw from Taylor’s actions at the time that they were reviewing something. Had no view of the incident though, and thought it was a handball shout.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought both were holding, which, if I'm correct would be the answer.

The VAR doesn't look at the incident and ask 'would I give that?' he looks at and and asks 'can I see why the ref gave that, based on what he told me he saw?'. If the ref tells the VAR 'both were holding each other' the VAR can't look at and say 'yeah, but the west ham player was doing it worse than the brighton player so you should give a penalty', he has to say 'yep, both holding, can see why you made that decision, your decision stands'.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I thought both were holding, which, if I'm correct would be the answer.

The VAR doesn't look at the incident and ask 'would I give that?' he looks at and and asks 'can I see why the ref gave that, based on what he told me he saw?'. If the ref tells the VAR 'both were holding each other' the VAR can't look at and say 'yeah, but the west ham player was doing it worse than the brighton player so you should give a penalty', he has to say 'yep, both holding, can see why you made that decision, your decision stands'.

Yeah, we know, var is wonderful.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here