Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v West Ham - Match REPORT

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Happy new season to you all. I wrote a report, should you wish to read it...

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?820-Albion-1-1-West-Ham-United-17-08-2019

Just under half an hour gone, and that pressure bears fruit. Murray floored by the lumbering Ogbonna, to allow Groß to deliver once more. His flighted ball in beats everybody, but Burn retrieves and swings a cross back in, for Trossard to meet beautifully on the volley, and crash the ball home. Get in! Well deserved. Jubilation around the ground, as the little Belgian is mobbed by his team-mates, including Maty Ryan, after a trademark sprint up the pitch to join the bundle.

But, with the Albion fans still jumping, and the back-slapping complete, some little toad in a bunker near Heathrow has other ideas. Yes folks, welcome to the golden new age. Computer says no. The freeze frame on the big screen confirms that Dan Burn was just offside as the original free kick came in, and it is the turn of the away fans to celebrate, as if they themselves had scored. Cor blimey guvnor. Would you Adam and Eve it? God bless V A R and the Queen Mum. Wankers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks as ever.
And that stinging drive by Solly March came from his right foot whose only purpose, as we've been so regularly informed, is for standing on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great report as per.

Only small comment would be I feel you've been a little harsh on Maupay, it came to him at a nasty height and pace from Murray, would've been a superb finish if he had scored.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Great report as per.

Only small comment would be I feel you've been a little harsh on Maupay, it came to him at a nasty height and pace from Murray, would've been a superb finish if he had scored.

Hmmm...

It wasn't THAT easy, agreed - it was on the half-volley, and rising - but that's where correct technique comes in, isn't it? A really good striker gets over that, tucks it away without fuss, and LOOKS like an easy finish.

On balance though, 'he'll be disappointed with that (Clive)'

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Hmmm...

It wasn't THAT easy, agreed - it was on the half-volley, and rising - but that's where correct technique comes in, isn't it? A really good striker gets over that, tucks it away without fuss, and LOOKS like an easy finish.

I’ve got to agree with the first comment that was an awful height and incredibly fast on 2nd and 3rd looks. Would’ve been an incredible finish had he scored it

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I’ve got to agree with the first comment that was an awful height and incredibly fast on 2nd and 3rd looks. Would’ve been an incredible finish had he scored it

Nah. It was 'tricky', at best. You give Sergio Aguero that chance 10 times and he scores 9 of them.

We can't afford Aguero, but whoever gets into that position in an Albion shirt still needs to be putting chances like that away more often than not.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Hmmm...

He's hit that TOO well.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Having not being able to make the match, I hoped there would be an Exile or Tactician report. Excellent as ever, especially the very amusing and true quote "Antonio’s combination of strength, size and pace, must be a nightmare for a defender to deal with, but then so would a rhinoceros in a football kit". Great ARTWORK too. Top marks all round.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Brilliant as always. Hilarious ARTWORK as well. Very nicely done.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
That VAR artwork should be put up on the screens every time a decision goes to VAR.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

VAR probably would've cancelled it ought for offside against Murray anyway.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
VAR probably would've cancelled it ought for offside against Murray anyway.

Interesting that. At the game live, I wasn’t too bothered about Maupay skying it, because like you, I was sure that Murray was off in the build up. From seeing the highlights though, I don’t now think he was.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Man alive. If anything nails the rubbishness of VAR it's this....

Just under half an hour gone, and that pressure bears fruit. Murray floored by the lumbering Ogbonna, to allow Groß to deliver once more. His flighted ball in beats everybody, but Burn retrieves and swings a cross back in, for Trossard to meet beautifully on the volley, and crash the ball home. Get in! Well deserved. Jubilation around the ground, as the little Belgian is mobbed by his team-mates, including Maty Ryan, after a trademark sprint up the pitch to join the bundle.

But, with the Albion fans still jumping, and the back-slapping complete, some little toad in a bunker near Heathrow has other ideas. Yes folks, welcome to the golden new age. Computer says no. The freeze frame on the big screen confirms that Dan Burn was just offside as the original free kick came in, and it is the turn of the away fans to celebrate, as if they themselves had scored. Cor blimey guvnor. Would you Adam and Eve it? God bless V A R and the Queen Mum. Wankers.

Well played. Very well played. And great to have you back.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Man alive. If anything nails the rubbishness of VAR it's this....

Well played. Very well played. And great to have you back.

Cheers GB.

Things is, I'm not (was not) anti-VAR. I thought I was largely comfortable with it. Now, after that one game, very worried about its impact on the experience. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here