Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Snowflake Aussies

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Hello chap, Sure your boy will have plenty of opinions of this kind of behaviour from the Aussies. They really do have double standards.

A few weeks back during the Cricket World Cup the mainstream media here were all over the event. ,Our boys doing this, our boys playing brilliantly’ etc etc.,. Once they were knocked out the media coverage just vanished, not overnight, but during that very day. When the team were doing well they were the LEAD story on the news, later that day just a 30 second mention. When England won the tournament there was a seemingly slight pleasure that those from ‘over the ditch’ had lost but England had somehow ‘cheated’ their way to victory via the runs coming from the attempted run out. Cheated? Really?

Once the one day stuff was over we had the prospect of The Ashes. Mainstream media greeted this with slogans like ‘We’re going to smash the Poms!’, and ‘We have the only cricket trophy that matters’. I have learned that Aussies are very, very good salesmen of all that is good, be that sport, weather, a shiny new car whatever. They over enthuse about the slightest positive. When asked a standard greeting like ‘How do you do?’ (In Aussie that is ‘How are you travelling?’) they are always doing brilliantly, amazingly whatever the situation. As a Brit I sometimes give a standard UK response of ‘Not bad thank you, how about you?’. That is a negative answer here, you have not talked up the positive so you must be unhappy/doing badly/whatever.

And so to the Archer/Smith thing. The ball has been described as ‘violent’, as ‘vicious’, and ‘targetted’, as if it was something negative to be ashamed of. It was a great ball, a contest between two gladiators (one of whom is a cheating great player) and it was enthralling. The press here have even tried to say the later ball that caught the sub batsmen was ‘shameful’. In short, yes the Aussies are a tough bunch that face adversity with a strong chin and approach life with a can do attitude, and they will tell you all about it. Once things go against them they hide away and try to claim the moral high ground when the first opportunity arises, in short, yes, snowflakes.

Excellent post WQW. My middle lad is home here for a couple of months taking in the whole series. Flies back to Southbank late Sept then drives across Oz to start a new chapter south of Perth. Met some great genuine Aussie BHA fans at the WHUFC match.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Excellent post WQW. My middle lad is home here for a couple of months taking in the whole series. Flies back to Southbank late Sept then drives across Oz to start a new chapter south of Perth. Met some great genuine Aussie BHA fans at the WHUFC match.

We are also in UK late September. Going to Newcastle away, hoping to get tickets to Chelsea away somehow, and hoping for a Caraboa Cup game at the Amex. If you or G are at any of these then maybe get a drink sometime? Is G flying back on 30/09 by any chance?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
There is no better example of "can give it but can't take it" in world sport than the Australian Cricket team. Genuinely pathetic.

Let's not transfer the stupid opinions of a handful of fans over to the sportsmen on the field.

Every team, every country, has it's fair share of dickhead fans.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not as if Archer didn't tell them it was coming before the game.....

Archer, who will make his Test debut in place of James Anderson, has the specific task of targeting Steve Smith. Dismissal is one option, a pin-point bouncer another: the only time Smith was ruffled while scoring 286 runs in the first Test was when he was hit by Ben Stokes.

“I think my ideas will be the same as the guys, it's just that the guys haven't been successful,” Archer said after England’s practice. “He (Smith) played really well at Edgbaston but Lord's is a bit different to Edgbaston. Hopefully one can do a bit more coming down the slope and hopefully he gets out for 90 runs less.”

“You don’t always set out to hit the batter,” Archer said. “If it hits them, with the concussion stuff now, you just don’t want to cause someone to miss a few games or be out for a few weeks. Equally it is good to know you are quick enough for people to fear you a bit.

“Pace makes batters do funny things. It may make him play a shot he is not accustomed to. He may be a bit late on the ball, so if you have the batter overthinking then you are in a good place.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...its-back-justin-langer-barb-says-good-feared/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Let's not transfer the stupid opinions of a handful of fans over to the sportsmen on the field.

Every team, every country, has it's fair share of dickhead fans.

Guessing you've never read up on Smith, Warner, Langer, the "good bloke" culture, the implicit racism etc? Obviously everyone is aware of the blatant cheating, which will inevitably taint Smith, Warner and Bancroft's careers until they hang up their studs.

What I am talking about is rooted deep in the side, not really talking about the fans who can also whinge with the best of them, all the comments re: England cheating to win the World Cup were laughably childish from the Aussie press.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1181098/the-ugly-australian--the-evolution-of-a-cricket-species

Written by an Aussie who grew up in this culture. Doesn't make for good reading.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Of course, the four of us went into banter overdrive as it all played out. The orchestrated cheating, as skipper, the crying on TV, the choosing not to wear side neck guards (which just about everyone has had retro-fitted after the Hughes incident) we gave it everything.

And then, right at that pivotal moment of banter max, Smith’s concussion replacement Labuschagne faced Archer, who promptly smashed him on the lid with a 93mph bumper, which sent him to the floor. Well, you couldn’t have scripted it better, we stood up and cheered and high fived, it was carnage in the Mound Stand.... and the Snowflakes melted in the heat...

Not quite sure why you were so gleeful at someone being floored by a bouncer. It happened to me once, when I was 12. Not a pleasant experience although at somewhat less than 93mph. No headgear though...

The bouncer is part of the game. Although taking delight at its worst excesses is wrong. The small pocket of booing on Saturday when Smith initially departed was pure cringe. That said, he shouldn't have returned. He was in no fit state as his hideous dismissal showed.

Nothing wrong with a little chin music. But no need for glutinous indulgence in its potential effects.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Not quite sure why you were so gleeful at someone being floored by a bouncer. It happened to me once, when I was 12. Not a pleasant experience although at somewhat less than 93mph. No headgear though...

The bouncer is part of the game. Although taking delight at its worst excesses is wrong. The small pocket of booing on Saturday when Smith initially departed was pure cringe. That said, he shouldn't have returned. He was in no fit state as his hideous dismissal showed.

Nothing wrong with a little chin music. But no need for glutinous indulgence in its potential effects.

I got knocked down three times in senior league cricket. I’m sorry I occupy a different point on the Snowflake Spectrum to you. To me... It’s hardball. It’s legitimate. It’s successful. It increases our chances of winning. Winning = celebration.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The small pocket of booing on Saturday when Smith initially departed was pure cringe.

He is booed on and off the pitch every time he plays England because he cheated the game of cricket, nothing to do with the bouncing. He is booed every time and will be until he retires.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Guessing you've never read up on Smith, Warner, Langer, the "good bloke" culture, the implicit racism etc? Obviously everyone is aware of the blatant cheating, which will inevitably taint Smith, Warner and Bancroft's careers until they hang up their studs.

What I am talking about is rooted deep in the side, not really talking about the fans who can also whinge with the best of them, all the comments re: England cheating to win the World Cup were laughably childish from the Aussie press.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1181098/the-ugly-australian--the-evolution-of-a-cricket-species

Written by an Aussie who grew up in this culture. Doesn't make for good reading.
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?373282-Poor-Aussies

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
We are also in UK late September. Going to Newcastle away, hoping to get tickets to Chelsea away somehow, and hoping for a Caraboa Cup game at the Amex. If you or G are at any of these then maybe get a drink sometime? Is G flying back on 30/09 by any chance?

He’s flying home via NYC, San Francisco and Fiji and will be back in Melbs on 26.9, but leaving town for the last time (for now) on 29.9. The rest of us will be at Chelsea but not NUFC games. Send PM nearer the time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have no idea how these Aussie fans would have coped if they were around for the Holding, Roberts, Marshall, Garner.... era

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I have no idea how these Aussie fans would have coped if they were around for the Holding, Roberts, Marshall, Garner.... era

Ambrose, Walsh... the list is endless, and it was a constant barrage. It only subsided when the ball became soft. And that was all in the days of either no lids, or just skull lids with no visor. Hence the point of this thread, I’ve never really associated Aussies with snowflake behaviour until now, and it’s hilarious to watch them trying to occupy snowflake type moral high ground now...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep, thought we might've had this conversation before - thanks for bringing that article forward in the first place, it's a great insight. The "bad people on both sides" argument just doesn't wash.

There has been a toxic element in the Aussie cricketing culture for a long time, that is completely unlike any other country's.

I played a match in Brisbane once and was subjected to a volley of verbals all the while I was at the crease. They weren't very good at it though. The things I heard about my mother were quite eye opening.

They had a young wicket keeper who wouldn't shut up. So I kept pulling back and stopping play as the bowler ran in. There were a couple of funny moments.

When I came out to bat again I took guard and said to the keeper that I had been promoted up the order to listen to his shit sledging again. I proceeded to edge one past him to my great delight. 1-0

They then brought a fast bowler on in poor light who peppered me with short deliveries. I threw the bat and made 26 in four overs. Not bad for a bowler.

My favourite moment though was when one of the fielders shouted out 'You're a shit batsman, Pom'. I responded with 'Doesn't say much for your f***ing bowlers then mate'. They soon shut up.

When I played friendly cricket in Sydney there were no bellends. I played in Concorde, one of the few grass wickets around at that time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
After all Cricket Australia weren't bigging up their bowling attacks "frightening bouncer barrage" against England, about 18 months ago

So basically they can dish it out, but they can't take it? Good for Archer for getting stuck in. No-one wants to see anyone seriously hurt playing cricket, but it could so easily have been an England batsman on the end of a Cummins delivery...

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
We have a top grade bowling machine at our cricket club, and a couple of weeks ago I was feeding deliveries for a net session. For a giggle, we cranked it up to 96mph and sent a few down into an empty net. Short ones, beamers, all sorts. It was bl00dy frightening, terrifying. In loading the deliveries myself, I felt like I was firing a high powered rifle. There seems absolutely no time to react at all, these top level batters have something like 0.65 seconds to select and execute the correct shot at this pace - or get out of the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here