Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Snowflake Aussies

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Booing Smith is fine. Intimidatory bowling is fine. Hitting Smith is equally fine based on good intimidatory bowling. To still have no compassion for a bloke genuinely hurt in a dangerous area - and taking some glee in it - it’s a around the line for me. Even if there are legitimate forms of protection to have no empathy for the bloke is a bit low.

Booing him leaving the pitch due to said blow makes you a proper **** IMO.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Any test team in the world would love to have Archer or someone just like him in their team doing exactly what he did. He will not have actually been trying to injure a player although these things are always possible. I wouldn't seek to blame Archer ( or Lillie or Marshall or Ambrose or Holding or Larwood etc ) personally - its not right

Steve Smith cheated - and there's another 2 cheating Aussies in that team. (How Warner got back into test cricket is beyond me) - I don't wish Smith any particular harm though. What happened is cricket. The adapted helmets to further protect the neck will happen I'm sure

The comparison between the sandpaper incident and the Atherton one is very weak - The Atherton incident was rather borderline in truth. Some dirt in his pocket is nowhere near the same as taking flipping sandpaper to a cricket ball. There have been many dubious incidents down the years (Imran Khan bullying junior Sussex players into ball-tampering springs to mind just now)The Atherton incident was not 1984 - that was a West Indies summer and Atherton's first class debut was 1987 (94 I think maybe)

Pissed up people talk bollox sometimes- this includes pissed Aussies and for that matter pissed Brits

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
This.

Steve Smith was not lead astray. In his own words, he was part of the leadership group who conceived and discussed the idea of sandpaper, and he was the skipper who instructed his rookie to cheat on fild.

Get a grip on reality please, there is not a single decent sinew in Smith’s body.

Please show us the evidence for this assertion. It's not the way the incident is understood over here.

He suspected the other two were up to some skullduggery but didn't have the cojones to ask what it was nor tell them no. That was his crime - willful ignorance.

On a completely different topic, how long did Mike Atherton get for ball tampering?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Cast iron horse sheight.

He is on camera and quoted under interview as saying “the leadership group” discussed it. One assumes the Team Skipper is part of “the leadership group”.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Mr Dampsheets, this thread was about how none of us associated Aussies with snowflake behaviour, and here you are trying to justify what the BIGGEST cheat in world cricket EVER actually did? Seriously man, have you tried being a defence lawyer? It could go one of two ways....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Please show us the evidence for this assertion. It's not the way the incident is understood over here.

He suspected the other two were up to some skullduggery but didn't have the cojones to ask what it was nor tell them no. That was his crime - willful ignorance.

On a completely different topic, how long did Mike Atherton get for ball tampering?

Took quite a long time in Germany too before they admitted, you know, culpability. Eventually though his cheating will similarly form part of the Oz school curriculum even if you don’t talk about it at home in front of grandad :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cast iron horse sheight.

He is on camera and quoted under interview as saying “the leadership group” discussed it. One assumes the Team Skipper is part of “the leadership group”.

Just another Aussie condoning cheats.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be fair to Mr Cleansheets he is right in that he has accurately described how Smith's involvement in the affair has been reported over here. I would also be intrested to see how it was reported there as it would show how bloody biased the Aussie press are.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Some of you guys would be having apoplexy to read how Joe Root's "catch" of Marnus Labuschagne is being reported over here.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Can't see how there's any doubt of Smith's direct involvement in what happened. This piece from the Sydney Morning Herald is pretty unequivocal:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/there-s-so-much-wrong-in-the-ball-tampering-affair-where-do-we-start-20180326-p4z6ab.html

Australians often seem confused though. Langer was quoted on the BBC website at the weekend as saying 'I didn't know they (additional helmet protection for the neck) were not compulsory but I don't think he (Smith) likes them. Eh? If you thought they WERE compulsory, why didn't you insist your player wore them?

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
So Smith was unaware then that during the last ashes series in Aus that Bancroft was photographed putting sugar in his pocket before going out to field.

Smith is a cheat,nothing less and in my opinion should never have been allowed to play the game again along with Warner and Bancroft. Set an example and stick with it. If winning the ashes with3 cheats is ok so be it,I hope he is booed for the rest of the series and maybe gets a few more goodies from Archer.

There was an excellent analysis of Archer in last Sundays (Times) paper,well worth a read.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If I was an Aussie I genuinely would've preferred Bancroft, Warner and Smith to be banned for life from playing Test cricket.

Smith would obviously be a huge loss, the others less so, but every single win or 50 or wicket that any of those 3 gain will always be tainted and tarnished irreversibly until the end of their careers.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
And that, I honestly believe, is where you’ve got things slightly out of focus. You clearly associate intimidatory bowling with bad sportsmanship. It isn’t. It is legitimate, accepted, understood, and a central part of the game. It’s just that we haven’t been very good at this bit of the game since Devon Malcolm. And now we’re celebrating it.

I know what you mean but I refer you to the laws of the game; I think you'll find the word 'intimidate'.

Previous: The Fieldsman, Next: Index to The Laws, Table of contents

Law 42: Unfair Play
1. Responsibility of Captains
The Captains are responsible at all times for ensuring that play is conducted within the spirit of the game as well as within the Laws.

2. Responsibility of Umpires
The Umpires are the sole judges of fair and unfair play.

3. Intervention by the Umpire
The Umpires shall intervene without appeal by calling and signal- ling "dead ball" in the case of unfair play, but should not otherwise interfere with the progress of the game except as required to do so by the Laws.

4. Lifting the Seam
A Player shall not lift the seam of the ball for any reason. Should this be done, the Umpires shall change the ball for one of similar condition to that in use prior to the contravention. See Note (a).
5. Changing the Condition of the Ball
Any member of the fielding side may polish the ball provided that such polishing wastes no time and that no artificial substance is used. No-one shall rub the ball on the ground or use any artificial substance or take any other action to alter the condition of the ball. In the event of a contravention of this Law, the Umpires, after consultation, shall change the ball for one of similar condition to that in use prior to the contravention.
This Law does not prevent a member of the fielding side from drying a wet ball, or removing mud from the ball. See Note (b).
6. Incommoding the Striker
An Umpire is justified in intervening under this Law and shall call and signal "dead ball" if, in his opinion, any Player of the fielding side incommodes the Striker by any noise or action while he is receiving a ball.

7. Obstruction of a Batsman in Running
It shall be considered unfair if any Fieldsman wilfully obstructs a Batsman in running. In these circumstances the Umpire shall call and signal "dead ball" and allow any completed runs and the run in progress or alternatively any boundary scored.

8. The Bowling of Fast Short Pitched Balls
The bowling of fast short pitched balls is unfair if, in the opinion of the Umpire at the Bowler's end, it constitutes an attempt to intimidate the Striker. See Note (d). Umpires shall consider intimidation to be the deliberate bowling of fast short pitched balls which by their length, height and direction are intended or likely to inflict physical injury on the Strike
r. The relative skill of the Striker shall also be taken into consideration.
In the event of such unfair bowling, the Umpire at the Bowler's end shall adopt the following procedure:-
(a) In the first instance the Umpire shall call and signal "no ball", caution the Bowler and inform the other Umpire, the Captain of the fielding side and the Batsmen of what has occurred.
(b) If this caution is ineffective, he shall repeat the above procedure and indicate to the Bowler that this is a final warning.
(c) Both the above caution and final warning shall continue to apply even though the Bowler may later change ends.
(d) Should the above warnings prove ineffective the Umpire at the Bowler's end shall:-
(i) At the first repetition call and signal "no ball" and when the ball is dead direct the Captain to take the Bowler off forthwith and to complete the over with another Bowler, provided that the Bowler does not bowl two overs or part thereof consecutively. See Law 22.7. (Bowler Incapacitated or Suspended during an Over).
(ii) Not allow the Bowler, thus taken off, to bowl again in the same innings.
(iii)Report the occurrence to the Captain of the batting side as soon as the Players leave the field for an interval.
(iv) Report the occurrence to the Executive of the fielding side and to any governing body responsible for the match who shall take any further action which is considered to be appropriate against the Bowler concerned.

Pete Campbell

Aug 21, 2019
I went to Lords yesterday with my lads, sat in the Mound Stand, group of 5 pretty larey Aussies in front of us, giving Archer some serious abuse from ball one for doming their skipper Steve Smith.

We tried to explain that cricket is a hardball sport, and modern day body line attack is a legitimate tactic for the bowler to get on top of the one-on-one duel, and that the Umpires have a framework to ensure consistent governance over how much short pitched stuff is allowable. But these Aussies kept on and on, “he could have died out there mate, and you think that’s funny? You think that’s acceptable do you mate?” etc etc. We replied that we didn’t think it was funny, but we did think it was acceptable, and we thought it was a good outcome because now every time Smith goes to the crease this bowler will be in his head and all over him like a rash, because Smith can’t handle genuine pace. Repeat... “he could have died out there mate, you should be ashamed of yourselves...”

Since when have Aussies been the world leaders in snow flaking?! I asked them if when a big 6 feet 10 and 20 stone mountain gets injured in an Aussie rules game, to they all stop for 5 minutes to mop his brow and give him a cuddle, do they heck.

And that’s when the trouble started...

As an Aussie, I can assure you that those drongos don't speak for us. While I don't agree with the vitriol Smith gets (we reckon Warner + Bancroft deserve what they get) the Archer bouncing was fair game and no issues with us. Its the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here