Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Dan Burn Offside

0 Not allowed!
    When I watched the game I saw Burn offside, but then I assumed Duffy or the defender had touched the ball before Burn got to it and this allowed him to play. I just looked up the replay and clearly Burn was the first to get to it. My question is this, when can a player who was offside when the ball was kicked become part of the play?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nickjhs View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      When I watched the game I saw Burn offside, but then I assumed Duffy or the defender had touched the ball before Burn got to it and this allowed him to play. I just looked up the replay and clearly Burn was the first to get to it. My question is this, when can a player who was offside when the ball was kicked become part of the play?
      When they interfere with the play...
      "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      When they interfere with the play...
      So they cannot take part until when? Possession is lost, that could take many minutes?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      So they cannot take part until when? Possession is lost, that could take many minutes?
      No. I think you're conflating interfering with play and being offside as the same thing. An offside should only be given if you are directly interfering (involved) in the play and are offside when the ball is played.

Dan Burn is offside because he becomes active when he collects the ball, until Duffy misses his header he is not interfering and therefore until that point it is not offside. He is however, in an offside position and therefore once he becomes active he was offside.

If Burn is onside and Duffy wins the header, it isn't offside as he hasn't interfered with the play until the header from Duffy.
      Members

0 Not allowed!

Dan Burn is offside because he becomes active when he collects the ball, until Duffy misses his header he is not interfering and therefore until that point it is not offside. He is however, in an offside position and therefore once he becomes active he was offside.

If Burn is onside and Duffy wins the header, it isn't offside as he hasn't interfered with the play until the header from Duffy.
      Thanks, I understand this, what I am wondering is if Duffy or the defender had made contact with the ball and then Burn became involved would the offside been called?
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Thanks, I understand this, what I am wondering is if Duffy or the defender had made contact with the ball and then Burn became involved would the offside been called?
      If Duffy makes contact with the ball and Burn isn't in an offside position then not offside.

If defender makes contact with the ball and it doesn't dramatically change the trajectory he is offside. (you are still offside from a deflection)
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Ok thanks I think I get it now. Its obvious really. He was offside as he was the first to touch it and had been offside when the ball was kicked. if Duffy had made contact he would still be offside as he was now between the last defender and the keeper when Duffy made contact. So what the heck goes on when there is a goal mouth scramble?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Ok thanks I think I get it now. Its obvious really. He was offside as he was the first to touch it and had been offside when the ball was kicked. if Duffy had made contact he would still be offside as he was now between the last defender and the keeper when Duffy made contact. So what the heck goes on when there is a goal mouth scramble?
      Yes. It does look like Burn is offside when Duffy misses the header.

Same deal for a goal mouth scramble. If you're attempting to play the ball (interfering) and in an offside position, you are offside.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Yes. It does look like Burn is offside when Duffy misses the header.

Same deal for a goal mouth scramble. If you're attempting to play the ball (interfering) and in an offside position, you are offside.
      Thanks for this, but could this have been classified as second phase, as effectively the ball was likely to trickle out and Burn from his original position, wasn’t seeking to gain an advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by One Teddy Maybank View Post
      Thanks for this, but could this have been classified as second phase, as effectively the ball was likely to trickle out and Burn from his original position, wasn’t seeking to gain an advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I think he was offside, fair enough. But I did wonder whether the unusually long delay was because they debated whether it should be a new phase as West Ham had time to reorganise. Quite an odd goal.