Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric bikes

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've had cars, now it's bikes turn, although this'll be a considerably shorter thread.

The Stat's had their longest ever family ride today, 20+ wind assisted miles along the coast to Brighton.

I'll forgo the much needed moan concerning a lack of anywhere safe to cycle from Shoreham bridge to Portslade, and concentrate on the lecky bike phenomenon.

I must have seen at least 20 of them while out, covering a wide range of brands, all of them looked to be traveling very easily, esp those riding against the wind.

Naturally they're not for me, but it was pleasing to see so many people benefiting from a little assistance, it would seem they're not a mode of transport to be pooh-poohed and might be worth considering if you like the idea of cycling but not the effort.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
We've had cars, now it's bikes turn, although this'll be a considerably shorter thread.

The Stat's had their longest ever family ride today, 20+ wind assisted miles along the coast to Brighton.

I'll forgo the much needed moan concerning a lack of anywhere safe to cycle from Shoreham bridge to Portslade, and concentrate on the lecky bike phenomenon.

I must have seen at least 20 of them while out, covering a wide range of brands, all of them looked to be traveling very easily, esp those riding against the wind.

Naturally they're not for me, but it was pleasing to see so many people benefiting from a little assistance, it would seem they're not a mode of transport to be pooh-poohed and might be worth considering if you like the idea of cycling but not the effort.

What we need is safe, traffic free, routes for people to be able to get from town to town.
Then they could be a real commuter option.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I cycle to work twice a week, around 8 miles each way along beautiful country lanes. I am either going steeply uphill using my turbo assist, or heavy on my brakes coming down again. There's a little bit of flat, but not much (see below).

I did this once on my old bike. It took around an hour - taking nearly half-an-hour to get up the first hill on the way home, where I had to stop about four times, and push quite a lot of the way. This hill now takes me six minutes. When I did it on my push-bike, I had to have a shower, a drink, and a bit of a rest at the office before starting work. Now, I change my t-shirt (although not entirely necessary, and at this time of year I don't have to at all), and stroll in.

Absolutely fantastic invention. I had basically given up cycling because every route out from here is hills - and now I'm back using my bike regularly. You do still need effort, but it takes all the pain away. I just wouldn't be cycling to work (or anywhere else really) without it. I'm fitter, and happier.

Capture.JPG My route.

Capture.JPG The view along it!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 661

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My bike is electric.

Starting. Then 1868cc's of pure USA raw petrol guzzling power.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Likewise all my bikes are electric, the last one that wasn't was a single cylinder 370cc with no de compression valve and the kick back nearly broke my ankle, thus forward only purchase electric start bikes from now on.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
As I've said on other threads they are a fantastic invention.

My commute is from Peacehaven to Brighton Station so pretty much bang on 9 miles, I can do it in about 35 minutes whether that's along the undercliff walk or along the coast road, there is no way I'd be able to do it on an analogue bike but that is the aim one day, to be able to do it without the assistance. Even if I get to the point where I am able to do that I might still use the E-Bike as I'm not getting to work dripping with sweat. For reference I'm just over 21 stone at the moment but that is coming down.

Last edited:

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I have an electric scooter, which are still illegal to use anywhere but private land (of course, that's the only place I use it...cough). I just wonder why e-bikes are deemed safe/legal, yet scooters are not? I have permanent fixed front/rear lights, indicators, can travel safely (and slowly, without wobbling), adhere to traffic signs etc.
What's the difference?
Just curious.
Reason being, I am unable to cycle/walk far, without pain, and have no storage space for a bike, so it's an ideal way for me to get around. Surely they should be encouraged as a form of (relatively) green transport?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Work in progress. If you take a look at the Sussex Yacht Club to the East of the footbridge, you will see that work has started to relocate the main clubhouse. This is partly flood defence work, but the plan also includes a cycle route. The stretch through to Southwick, should emerge over the next couple of years, as the riverside is up for huge redevelopment.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Would love an electric bike but my work's bike scheme provider doesn't have any under £1000 which is what I need for the bike scheme.

Feb 28, 2009
I have a Seago Electric bike that cost me £695. It is a great bike to ride and folds if you need to put it in a car.

I bought it from Wetworks who I found to be very helpful.

D

Deleted member 2719

Likewise all my bikes are electric, the last one that wasn't was a single cylinder 370cc with no de compression valve and the kickback nearly broke my ankle, thus forward only purchase electric start bikes from now on.

I am the opposite, electric start, isn't biking for me.
Love to run the risk on my single 500's (with decompression) of either building up a sweat or kicking back!
To date a few bruised shins and some sweat and swearing, but you can't beat it!

That said they tend to start first or second kick every time nowadays.:O:banana:

I have an electric scooter, which are still illegal to use anywhere but private land (of course, that's the only place I use it...cough). I just wonder why e-bikes are deemed safe/legal, yet scooters are not? I have permanent fixed front/rear lights, indicators, can travel safely (and slowly, without wobbling), adhere to traffic signs etc.
What's the difference?
Just curious.
Reason being, I am unable to cycle/walk far, without pain, and have no storage space for a bike, so it's an ideal way for me to get around. Surely they should be encouraged as a form of (relatively) green transport?
They are not illegal if they have passed similar construction standards to petrol motor scooters. I presume your's hasn't, and if you are using it on a public road then you are driving without insurance. If you don't have a motorcycle licence, then you risk losing your car licence which you probably won't be able to afford after seeing your premiums rocket, plus the fines for having no MoT or correct specification helmet. Not to mention the RFL, still required even if it's free.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I always cut up...Ham Rd...Eastern Av....Middle Rd....Rectory Rd ...Park Av(?)....then bottom of Southwick Green...across the locks and behind the power station to Hove lagoon :moo:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
So your current bike is digital? :lolol:

Absolutely! I use analogue and digital as some people can get offended when I call them antique bikes.

Would love an electric bike but my work's bike scheme provider doesn't have any under £1000 which is what I need for the bike scheme.

Could you not top it up like I did? Work did our scheme through Evans so I got the £1000 voucher through work, they also had a deal where if I traded in any bike I could get £250 of the bike I was buying and then I just put the rest on a 0% credit card and I'll pay it off before I get charged any interest.

IMG_20190818_201255.jpg

That's mine after I took it along the undercliff walk when it was wet, I won't be making that mistake again.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here