Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for No Points Saints

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
1. Davy Pröpper plays in the exact same position for the Netherlands, that he plays for Brighton (except for just two games last summer, when they had a slightly weakened / experimental side out)

2. Davy Pröpper has scored for Brighton (a really good goal, too - away at Leicester)

I think it's clear to see we will see more goals from midfield this season. On Saturday, both Stephens and Propper had shots on target. under CH, neither player were given the freedom to get into goal scoring positions often. It's already different under Potter.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I think it's clear to see we will see more goals from midfield this season. On Saturday, both Stephens and Propper had shots on target. under CH, neither player were given the freedom to get into goal scoring positions often. It's already different under Potter.

Absolutely.

But suggesting Pröpper up front, is still a little bit much!

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Absolutely. I could only listen on Saturday as I couldn't find a working stream but watching the highlights it was amazing to see so many of our players in their half when we had the ball. Options to pass as opposed to one option last season.

I have a good link i'll send you in PM for streams; no guarantee they're in English. But listening to football in Arabic can be amusing. I watch it alongside Final Score (with stream on mute).

But as you said, almost every single one of our attacks showed conviction, with bodies in the box and intention to create chances. Players themselves look absolutely up for it too, Propper's work rate seems to have massively increased. Not saying he didn't work hard last season but he seems to have more freedom under Potter. Which means you're seeing him....Prop up...everywhere. It's great.

It won't work for every game and I think this could be problematic against the likes of Liverpool and Man City (West Ham's goal on saturday showed a potential vulnerability) - though I think the shot itself was fortunate and had he hit it cleanly, Ryan would have saved it. He struck it awkwardly and bounced over Ryan

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
so now the shackles are well truly off, who should start against relegation fodder, saints.

there will always be too many unforced errors in big shane with potterball (imho), so having never seen webbo play, :)facepalm:), him.

glenn appears to me to offer little except offside decisions; legend, but one season too many i feel. pascal did nothing wrong, but pace will be key against saints' shonky defence (and we have leo's dead ball delivery), so;

as west am, but; webbo, maupay, and andone to come in,

you?
Couldn't have put it better myself. I'd absolutely love to see that line up!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Saints have got a good team which did cause Liverpool a lot of problems, Redmond will be playing on the left so we will need to keep an eye on him especially on the counter. Sounds like they'll set up with 3 centre backs as well and try and hit us on the break.

It's quite conceivable that we could lose to Saints (haven't won against them yet since we've come up I think) and then lose to Man City and have 4 points from 4 games. So we can't underestimate them as they could do a smash and grab on us.

I think I would swap Gross for Mooy, if we play Maupay then that means we've only got 2 midfielders which if they play 5-3-2 means they'll dominate midfield. If you can own the midfield generally you'll win the game.

We don't have a Murray replacement yet, so he is still very important to us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you can own the midfield generally you'll win the game.
So why doesn't every team just pack the midfield with players?

I doubt Maupay could have got the assist in the same way, but Murray's lack of pace really does make him a weak link and has done for some time... Our midfielders just cannot play the ball in front of him, as he will get done for pace 100% of the time, which is a huge issue.

It’s not his pace - he’s never had much - it’s that his ability to hold up the ball has declined markedly over the last 12 months. Legs always slow, now the feet are too and it’s too easy for defenders.

Gross for me offers something when floating behind the striker and making his smart runs but he doesn’t fit as good as that in Potter’s shape where he is forced too wide.

I’d give Maupay a start definitely and am 50-50 on giving the more flaky Andone a start

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So why doesn't every team just pack the midfield with players?

It's not just about packing the midfield, it's about winning the battle there so that it will allow you to support the front players and protect the defence. Last season for whatever reason we didn't win many battles in midfield.

I'm not saying it's the be all and end all for winning a match, but I believe it's a key area where you want to "own"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not just about packing the midfield, it's about winning the battle there so that it will allow you to support the front players and protect the defence.
Of course you'd like to win the battle in midfield, but you also have to defend (the opponents can simply Burnley the ball over your midfield) and you need some strikers so you've got a chance of scoring when you do have the ball. It is of course a balance.

I'm not saying it's the be all and end all for winning a match, but I believe it's a key area where you want to "own"
Yes I agree it's a key area, although I wouldn't go as far as saying the team that owns the midfield generally wins. Also, we don't leave Stephens and Propper isolated in the middle. Our wingbacks help out, as do 2 of our front 3.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well I'm not telling him...
Will you?
Do you think Potter will select his team as you've suggested, and then change his mind when he tries to dell Duffy :lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
1. Davy Pröpper plays in the exact same position for the Netherlands, that he plays for Brighton (except for just two games last summer, when they had a slightly weakened / experimental side out)

2. Davy Pröpper has scored for Brighton (a really good goal, too - away at Leicester)

I stand corected, but hardly a prolific scoring return. I've yet to see a league game 'live' this season, so looking forward to Saturday, can only assume Potterball involves players further up the field in positions described as opposed to everyone in our own box, and rarely venturing as far or over the halfway line. One could be forgiven for thinking Propper was a sweeper last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here