Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for No Points Saints

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Locadia Maupay and Trossard up front is one I suspect we will end up with - strength, pace and brains
Though is great we have options now - Gross Murray and Andone as subs would be able to stretch any game - brains, strength and pace

Yesterdays bench was about 70m worth re Bernardo, Webster, Maupay, Andone, Mooy, Locadia

Then in non squad players we had Bissouma, Issy and Ali J - about another 50 worth

I know Ali hasn’t hit form but only fifty quid for the three of them seems harsh

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I doubt Maupay could have got the assist in the same way, but Murray's lack of pace really does make him a weak link and has done for some time... Our midfielders just cannot play the ball in front of him, as he will get done for pace 100% of the time, which is a huge issue.

Completely agree, he is by far the weakest link, and a hindrance on any form of break.

He does however, still have some holding, falling over/free kick winning /time wasting aboilities that are oftenuseful, and no one else seems to be any good at . . .Let's hope he's full integrated to commentary and we're fully covered before var gets any good ;-)

Same as but Trossard/Maupay /Gross up front

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know Saints ran Liverpool close, but how much of that was down to having a crocked Adrian in goal? His kicking/distribution was awful and he gifted Ings his goal. I don’t know if it’s a true reflection of how dangerous Southampton were or how nervous Liverpool’s defenders were with a shady keeper behind them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ryan
Duffy-Dunk-Burn
Montoya-Stephens-Propper-March
Trossard-Andone-Maupay​

Pace. Southampton are slow at the back.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Potter obviously rates Muzza. Perhaps an entire forward line of smaller players who prefer ball to feet, would get bullied?
Indeed it was Murray's qualities that set up Trossard's goal. Still got plenty to offer.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolute nonsense!
In fact it was Trossard who had to come and clear up after Murray messed up in giving the ball away.
If anybody set it up then it was Groß's superb up-and-over pass which Murray collected.
He takes three defenders out of the game to make space for Trossard's touches and shot. Brilliant centre forward play as they know they can't leave him alone.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd probably go same as Saturday.

I understand the desire for Maupay and Andone over Murray and Gross due to the latters lack of pace. It can be frustrating when you see the chance of a break is on but it doesn't materialise because the two most forward players are so slow.

But...Murray brings something to the forwad line that no one else seems to in his hold up play, his link up play, his ability to occupy multiple defenders, win headers and free kicks. Plus he is probably the best finisher at the club(i say probably because Trossard looks very tidy in front of goal). Both times that he's come off the game has become more stretched and open which plays into the speedy hands of Maupay and Andone.

I don't think we're going to get that against Southampton. I'll be surprised if they go hell for leather from the first whistle. Instead they'll be more guarded allowing us more of the ball and putting the attacking onus on us(especially as we look particularly vulnerable to counter attacks). That kind of game seems to me better suited to Murray with Maupay and/or Andone coming on later, once legs are getting tired and we (hopefully) already have the lead forcing Southampton forward.

It's similar with Gross. He is a very clever footballer, playing a lot of clever balls and linking up well with all the players around him. Skills that are important when you have the majority of the ball as I suspect we will against Southampton. If the game is mostly played in Southampton's half then Gross's lack of pace really isn't an issue, his quick brain is more important.

I would like to see if Locadia could play the Murray role. To me he seems like the only one of our attacking options that could offer a similar-ish skill set to Murray but allied with a normal player's pace. Hopefully that is something we'll see in the cup game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know Saints ran Liverpool close, but how much of that was down to having a crocked Adrian in goal? His kicking/distribution was awful and he gifted Ings his goal. I don’t know if it’s a true reflection of how dangerous Southampton were or how nervous Liverpool’s defenders were with a shady keeper behind them.

Liverpool had also played extra time in mid week against Chelsea in Turkey so probably weren’t at their best.

Anyway it’ll be a tough game, they always are against Saints and Ings often scores against us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Adrian did make an excellent point blank save from a Yoshida header. Ings missed a fine opportunity too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
'No Points Saints'.

:facepalm:

We are now hexed for Saturday. They will be '3 Points Saints' by the end of the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here