Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yesterday’s ref....he was there too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought he favoured them but I was watching with my blue n white specs on.

I’d agree with that - everything seemed to go for them, much of it quite soft.

After the first 15 minutes, I glanced at my phone for the stats, where we'd had one free kick to 7 or 8 of theirs, yet we'd only committed 3 fouls.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It isn't irrelevant as there is a cut off as to how far back they will check. There was a fair chance that the eventual attempt would have counted as a new phase as we had partially cleared the ball before the attempt. They were still benefitting from the decision but it is not a given that VAR would have overruled as it was a different phase of play.

The check is instant for obvious mistakes as the game is happening. As I haven’t seen a replay of the ball going out perhaps it wasn’t. If the ball out was seen instantly by the VAR ref he would have informed the ref irrelevant of where the state of play is. You can’t play on when the ball has left the pitch. Play stops when the ball is out of play,

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The check is instant for obvious mistakes as the game is happening. As I haven’t seen a replay of the ball going out perhaps it wasn’t. If the ball out was seen instantly by the VAR ref he would have informed the ref irrelevant of where the state of play is. You can’t play on when the ball has left the pitch. Play stops when the ball is out of play,
You must have read a different interpretation of the rules than I did then as the ball going out of play is not covered by VAR. Only if a goal is scored and checked will it come into play and only then if it was in the attacking phase that lead to the goal.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I thought the officials were weak, no point in VAR making the major decisions in both boxes when the officials are poor over the rest of the pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were discussing this yesterday. Is VAR likely to adversely affect the standard of refereeing on the pitch? Are referees and linespeople likely to become more complacent knowing that VAR is there to act as a safety net with more marginal and critical decisions?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You must have read a different interpretation of the rules than I did then as the ball going out of play is not covered by VAR. Only if a goal is scored and checked will it come into play and only then if it was in the attacking phase that lead to the goal.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11777969/var-in-the-premier-league-the-ultimate-qa

I'm a bit rusty, so remind me: what will VAR check?

"Clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations:

- Goals
- Penalties
- Direct red cards
- Mistaken identity

VAR will automatically check these situations, often in the background while play is resuming. The final decision will be with the on-field referee, however.

There are no exceptions to these four areas; you won't see any checks for corners, throw-ins, yellow cards or even second yellow cards. If the incident doesn't fall under those four points, it will not be reviewed.​

and further down the page:

What about those dreaded 'phases of play'?

Many decisions will depend on which phase of play the incident occurred in. For instance, a foul or offside can only be reviewed if it occurred in the phase that directly led to a goal.

However, football is an extremely fluid game, so identifying a phase is a subjective exercise.

Factors to consider when the referee or VAR defines a phase of play, and whether a phase has been reset, include:

- When the team gain possession
- Whether there are multiple phases and which is the most immediate
- The ability of the defence to reset
- Whether the defence gain possession at all

Each example is likely to differ from one another, so this will be an unavoidable area of contention, but one that the Premier League VARs are well-trained on.​

The ball going out of play is only reviewed if it occurs in the phase of play leading up to a goal or penalty (could be contentious, if a bad, red card-worthy foul occurs resulting in a penalty only for it to be brought back and rescinded because the ball went out of play).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11777969/var-in-the-premier-league-the-ultimate-qa

I'm a bit rusty, so remind me: what will VAR check?

"Clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations:

- Goals
- Penalties
- Direct red cards
- Mistaken identity

VAR will automatically check these situations, often in the background while play is resuming. The final decision will be with the on-field referee, however.

There are no exceptions to these four areas; you won't see any checks for corners, throw-ins, yellow cards or even second yellow cards. If the incident doesn't fall under those four points, it will not be reviewed.​

and further down the page:

What about those dreaded 'phases of play'?

Many decisions will depend on which phase of play the incident occurred in. For instance, a foul or offside can only be reviewed if it occurred in the phase that directly led to a goal.

However, football is an extremely fluid game, so identifying a phase is a subjective exercise.

Factors to consider when the referee or VAR defines a phase of play, and whether a phase has been reset, include:

- When the team gain possession
- Whether there are multiple phases and which is the most immediate
- The ability of the defence to reset
- Whether the defence gain possession at all

Each example is likely to differ from one another, so this will be an unavoidable area of contention, but one that the Premier League VARs are well-trained on.​

The ball going out of play is only reviewed if it occurs in the phase of play leading up to a goal or penalty (could be contentious, if a bad, red card-worthy foul occurs resulting in a penalty only for it to be brought back and rescinded because the ball went out of play).
Yep - that is how I understood it. And I still couldn't tell you if VAR would have overruled because we had partially cleared the ball. It would have been a subjective decision on if the defence had been able to reset. Common sense says it was the same attack so should be the same phase but I am not convinced they would decide that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

VAR will draw the attention to ref any obvious mistake or incident missed during the whole game irrelevant of the passage of play. All goals are reviewed as a matter of course. Therefore one has assume it didn’t fully go out of play.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
VAR will draw the attention to ref any obvious mistake or incident missed during the whole game irrelevant of the passage of play. All goals are reviewed as a matter of course. Therefore one has assume it didn’t fully go out of play.

As above - incorrect.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yep - that is how I understood it. And I still couldn't tell you if VAR would have overruled because we had partially cleared the ball. It would have been a subjective decision on if the defence had been able to reset. Common sense says it was the same attack so should be the same phase but I am not convinced they would decide that.

Indeed, and I thought that when a short period of time had passed between it possibly going out (wrong end for me to say with any certainty, and the number of goalline decisions in the last couple of seasons that have shown how tight the decision can be sometimes despite looking like it's clearly over the line makes me reluctant to just accept the opinion of my fellow brighton fans), that it wouldn't be reviewed if it went in. Sky Sports had an episode of The Debate where Neil Swarbrick came on to explain a lot of this stuff, and they showed an example of a liverpool goal, where it all felt very much like a single attack, but he said the ref would have 'reset' it to a point that was a little bit after an infringement, which seemed quite arbitrary and Charlie Nicholas wasn't happy with it. ( Think saleh fouled someone, then went down the right, crossed the ball in, shot was parried out to the left of the box and pulled back and scored. The play was reset to the parried save, meaning the foul wasn't looked at.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Indeed, and I thought that when a short period of time had passed between it possibly going out (wrong end for me to say with any certainty, and the number of goalline decisions in the last couple of seasons that have shown how tight the decision can be sometimes despite looking like it's clearly over the line makes me reluctant to just accept the opinion of my fellow brighton fans), that it wouldn't be reviewed if it went in. Sky Sports had an episode of The Debate where Neil Swarbrick came on to explain a lot of this stuff, and they showed an example of a liverpool goal, where it all felt very much like a single attack, but he said the ref would have 'reset' it to a point that was a little bit after an infringement, which seemed quite arbitrary and Charlie Nicholas wasn't happy with it. ( Think saleh fouled someone, then went down the right, crossed the ball in, shot was parried out to the left of the box and pulled back and scored. The play was reset to the parried save, meaning the foul wasn't looked at.

The one I saw demonstrated was much clearer. A corner is given in error. That corner results in a legitimate corner. A goal from that corner would stand despite there being a clear error 30 seconds earlier. It's a dogs dinner trying to fit the rules to the technology.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yep. Masuaku should've gone but the ref bottled it having given him the first yellow moments earlier.

My only complaint about him is this: bottled giving that 2nd yellow.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ok I’m wrong ��

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Worst decision was allowing play to continue when the ball was clearly a foot out of play.

If a goal had been scored directly after, VAR would have ruled it out, but if West Ham had built up a prolonged period of pressure and then scored, would VAR still be used?

How long is the statute of limitations when using VAR?

My understanding is... it's about whether or not the defence has had an opportunity to 're-set'.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
The fourth official yesterday Keith Stroud seemed very relaxed and keen to interact with the coaching staff for a bit of friendly banter

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I thought that he looked out of his depth using VAR - as with his team of linesmen. Watching MOTD yesterday the difference between him and Oliver was miles apart. Didn't know when to make a decision or not.

VAR will only be a good thing if the refs can use it properly - it can't be a crutch to fix your every mistake/worry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here