Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yesterday’s ref....he was there too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All the discussion has been about VAR ...what did you think about Mr Taylor’s performance?

As an aside i remember reading something about him reffing our games 7 times before and us never losing but 6 of them being draws....well you can add yesterdays to that

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The supporters around me in the North were pissed off with him, but I thought he was alright. He tried to let the game flow, and he wasn't always conned by their tall guy taking a leap at the slightest touch.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Poor. Could have booked any one of 3 of our players for blocking off the keeper from launching a counter attack. Three times waved a player up suggesting a dive but taking no action. And along with the other officials, seemed to be lost as to what they could and couldn't give under the new regime. I thought a West Ham attack in the second half was one that should have been allowed to go despite a suspicion of offside but was flagged and stopped straight away making VAR pointless.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Poor. Could have booked any one of 3 of our players for blocking off the keeper from launching a counter attack. Three times waved a player up suggesting a dive but taking no action. And along with the other officials, seemed to be lost as to what they could and couldn't give under the new regime. I thought a West Ham attack in the second half was one that should have been allowed to go despite a suspicion of offside but was flagged and stopped straight away making VAR pointless.

Worst decision was allowing play to continue when the ball was clearly a foot out of play.

If a goal had been scored directly after, VAR would have ruled it out, but if West Ham had built up a prolonged period of pressure and then scored, would VAR still be used?

How long is the statute of limitations when using VAR?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I thought the officials were weak, no point in VAR making the major decisions in both boxes when the officials are poor over the rest of the pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Should have booked hernandez early on for a clear dive (I have a recollection of another dive later in the game, but only vaguely). Should have given their defender a second yellow (though perhaps he should have given a freekick for any of the lunging challenges in the build up, which would have avoided Masuaku (?) making that challenge).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Worst decision was allowing play to continue when the ball was clearly a foot out of play.

If a goal had been scored directly after, VAR would have ruled it out, but if West Ham had built up a prolonged period of pressure and then scored, would VAR still be used?

I was chuntering about that as well as I believe we partially cleared the ball which would then likely make it a second phase so it wouldn't have been overturned. That one was one the ones I was referring to when saying the officials seemed to not know what they could give. The linesman actually encroached onto the pitch just after that and I have no idea why. At least a yard on the pitch as if he was off to intervene in a mass brawl.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

I think it’s three weeks

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Thing is it’s irrelevant if a goal VAR ref should have intervened to tell the ref the ball had left the field of play.. it an obvious error and is not open to any debate or interpretation.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Thought the ref was ok, my only criticism would be I thought he missed a couple of fouls when West Ham centre halves came through the back of Murray.
Liked the fact that he let players put in hard tackles, Stephens won a fair few 50/50 tackles which some refs might have been mugged into giving as fouls.
A strong seven out of ten performance by the ref.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Should have booked hernandez early on for a clear dive (I have a recollection of another dive later in the game, but only vaguely). Should have given their defender a second yellow (though perhaps he should have given a freekick for any of the lunging challenges in the build up, which would have avoided Masuaku (?) making that challenge).

Yep. Masuaku should've gone but the ref bottled it having given him the first yellow moments earlier.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Thing is it’s irrelevant if a goal VAR ref should have intervened to tell the ref the ball had left the field of play.. it an obvious error and is not open to any debate or interpretation.

But what if they had played on, the ball had pinballed around our box for 30 seconds before being cleared for a corner? Would the corner be allowed, or world it be a goal kick?

What if it had been 2 minutes instead of 30 seconds? And had been a penalty not a corner?

Surely VAR should help out the ref during open play, when the ball clearly goes out of play?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It may be that I was feeling so good about how we approached the game that I didn’t once swear at the ref. Good game for me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It isn't irrelevant as there is a cut off as to how far back they will check. There was a fair chance that the eventual attempt would have counted as a new phase as we had partially cleared the ball before the attempt. They were still benefitting from the decision but it is not a given that VAR would have overruled as it was a different phase of play.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The supporters around me in the North were pissed off with him, but I thought he was alright. He tried to let the game flow, and he wasn't always conned by their tall guy taking a leap at the slightest touch.

This.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here