Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football needs VAR but laws of the game aren't ready for it

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've already said this a few times on here, but I sit more or less in line with where the players were lined up, and noticed that Burn looked offside at the time. The VAR offside decision-making process is a matter of black and white, like goal line technology. It's the other aspects (eg Burn shirt pull) that the on-pitch ref has to make a clear and obvious error in order for the VAR official to overturn it.

So you are the only one amongst 30,000 plus fans, 22 players that were on the pitch, 1 referee, 2 assistant refs and the 4th official who saw the offside from inside the Amex. I am not having a go at you but I find that hard to believe.
Yes when you look at it through VAR it was very tight and It may suggest it was offside, my argument is why is every goal being looked at. It should only be referred to VAR if there is a clear mistake made in which case there was not.. As for the Burn shirt pull, this is a clear penalty, but it was not given, proof that VAR doesn't work. Why did it take so long to disallow the goal but the time not added on at the end of the half.
VAR should have been trialled in the lower league to start with for 2 years to get it right.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Officials knew it wasn't a goal yet are told to give no signal causing confusion
Get rid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So with VAR looking at all goals, why are the Albion persisting with interfering with the goalie, at corners?

Last week Stephens was chosen to have the traditional 'keeper wrestle, today it was Burn's job to cause interference

All rather odd..

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
So did VAR check for the throw in during the build up to their goal

VAR is not used for throw in, corner or goalkick decisions.

This is all rather stupid as bringing in technology similar to the goal line technology would be fairly easy.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
VAR is not used for throw in, corner or goalkick decisions.

This is all rather stupid as bringing in technology similar to the goal line technology would be fairly easy.

Quite, surely if the ball goes out of play in the build up to a goal but is not spotted by the on pitch officials then it should be checked just like if a player might have been fouled

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Couldn't give a **** whether it is correct, incorrect, in our favour or in their favour.

Needs binning off for it's negative impact on the game, particularly for those forking out for tickets in the stands.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I HATE VAR.

Perhaps it might deign to SHAG OFF forever ? ??? ???

:shrug:

:albion2:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We still would've lost, not good enough

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
View attachment 114494

Here’s the freeze frame they used to disallow our goal.
Is this taken when the ball is kicked or just after?
And if it was taken back one frame, my bet is that Burn would not have been offside. Even if he was, the ball was kicked before the frame they used to judge the offside.
The whole process is totally flawed

No, it is the laws that are flawed, and some of the process, not everything. That, offside? Far cough. I'd take it on the chin were it a 'clear blue daylight' rule. Change the laws.

The flawed part of the process, as discussed on 606 (but interrupted before the conversation was complete) is we need the referee mic'd and the basis of the decision shown on the stadium screen (somewhat like egg ball and slacker's rounders). If they have nothing to be embarrassed about they'd be happy for us to see and hear it.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The ref should be able to request VAR if they are unsure of a decision. VAR should be able to tell ref if they think an obvious error has been made. Should still be ref's decision if he wants to review. If ref not unsure and no obvious error - no VAR.

Should always be on pitch side monitor for ref. Ref makes every decision. What could be more simple :shrug:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Dunks disallowed goal was a good example of where VAR should not be needed why can’t the onfield officials just flag that and get on with the free kick. This keep the flag down and let the guy with the video replays sort it out approach is a confusing nightmare.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you are the only one amongst 30,000 plus fans, 22 players that were on the pitch, 1 referee, 2 assistant refs and the 4th official who saw the offside from inside the Amex. I am not having a go at you but I find that hard to believe.
Yes when you look at it through VAR it was very tight and It may suggest it was offside, my argument is why is every goal being looked at. It should only be referred to VAR if there is a clear mistake made in which case there was not.. As for the Burn shirt pull, this is a clear penalty, but it was not given, proof that VAR doesn't work. Why did it take so long to disallow the goal but the time not added on at the end of the half.
VAR should have been trialled in the lower league to start with for 2 years to get it right.

1. A mistake is a mistake.
2. Because the people operating VAR and the refs don't really know what they're doing/the rules on use of VAR are shit.
3. Becausethe officials don't always know what they are doing.

I agree 110% with your final point. I feel like our games are part of an undeclared experiment being conducted by poorly trained scientists who have no clear hypothesis or experimental methodology. I did not give my informed consent to that, so this is unethical. The b'stards.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For offsides I would say that there has to be daylight between the two players, not a width of a scapula

My support for VAR is certainly wavering having seen how long they spent tonight trying to work out whether there was an offside in the build-up to Wolves goal. In any traditional sense, the player that crossed it would have been deemed to be behind the ball before it was rolled back to him - but the crosshairs were out, scrutinising whether his eyebrow may have strayed offside. All it achieved was a delay to the restart and more uncertainty in the stadium.

They need to get back to the original intention somehow and find a way of limiting it to absolute howlers.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm in agreement with many here, and many elsewhere that VAR has been brought in purely to disallow goals. So far, it seems, that is the only reason for its use. Don't need negative tactics in your team any more, VAR has done it for us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
I was originally in favour of VAR now I am dead against it. If a referee cannot spot a foul on the goalkeeper or a linesman cannot correctly flag an offside, in the premier league, then they are not good enough to do the job. This stinks of I'm not sure, so pass the buck. VAR will ruin football, get rid of it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here