Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football needs VAR but laws of the game aren't ready for it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was said introducing VAR would make football boring. That it would take away the drama and deprive fans and pundits of having anything to talk about after matches.

Yet whenever it’s used during a game, it’s all anybody can talk about. The video assistant referee (VAR) was brought in to rid the game of questionable goals, dodgy penalty decisions and to remove the subjective calls made by referees in the heat of the moment.

It hasn’t really done any of that. Perhaps it’s even had the opposite impact; there is now more debate than ever before.

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/30cQJZf

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly my view (the thread title).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have to confess I prefer “some you lose, some you win” and it tends to balance over a season. Not being able to celebrate a goal without a review is pretty shit imo.

The outrage of a dodgy goal against or the joy of “getting away with it” have always been part and parcel of football, I’ll miss it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was said introducing VAR would make football boring. That it would take away the drama and deprive fans and pundits of having anything to talk about after matches.

Yet whenever it’s used during a game, it’s all anybody can talk about. The video assistant referee (VAR) was brought in to rid the game of questionable goals, dodgy penalty decisions and to remove the subjective calls made by referees in the heat of the moment.

It hasn’t really done any of that. Perhaps it’s even had the opposite impact; there is now more debate than ever before.

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/30cQJZf

But VAR is still down to humans, it isn't cut and dried. And anyway, what is wrong with getting a bad decision once the boys in the Sky studio have analysed it for 5 mins? I'll take a bad decision over this farce every day of the week.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Just like to point out that i posted the full article for all to read and its been deleted, proving that someone is making some money out of clicks there from this site. All a bit underhand if you ask me.

Thread title sums it up perfectly!
In order for VAR to work immediately it should be viewed in real time, not frame by frame, it should not be used to break a decision down to a molecular level or a minor infraction some 3-4 passes prior.
Dan Burn yesterday is a sadly a good example, in real time it is possible to see the offside without frame by frame review. If only someone had got a touch, any touch........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said this on other threads the laws need changing to accomodatre VAR for it be succesful. mainly for the offside but also the application of handball within the current law.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just like to point out that i posted the full article for all to read and its been deleted, proving that someone is making some money out of clicks there from this site. All a bit underhand if you ask me.

Who cares. If it keeps NSC going, so be.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Summed it up nicely at the end:

When matches are worth millions of pounds to a club, having a second look at a decision is for the best. There are teething problems right now but they have nothing to do with the actual technology and everything to do with those writing the laws and the ones carrying out those rules.

Football needs VAR. Embrace it and the drama surrounding it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Have to confess I prefer “some you lose, some you win” and it tends to balance over a season. Not being able to celebrate a goal without a review is pretty shit imo.

The outrage of a dodgy goal against or the joy of “getting away with it” have always been part and parcel of football, I’ll miss it.

Really this!!!!! But you are not allowed to admit it. Probably the most joyous element of watching is when you celebrate a goal. If that is tempered by VAR then you lose so much. Offside by an armpit or ankle is ridiculous and even when against us I don't care.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was very much in favour of VAR but I’m of the opposite view now. Knowing each and every goal is now going to be scrutinised for the tiniest of infringements is a real worry. I also feel we have totally lost sight of the original intentions of the off-side law if we are now using it with such fine margins to cancel out goals. Something is going to have to change.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have said this on other threads the laws need changing to accomodatre VAR for it be succesful. mainly for the offside but also the application of handball within the current law.

That new handball in the box just simply needs to be scrapped ASAP. That's not a VAR issue but it's simply the took used to apply a flawed rule change

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I was very much in favour of VAR but I’m of the opposite view now. Knowing each and every goal is now going to be scrutinised for the tiniest of infringements is a real worry. I also feel we have totally lost sight of the original intentions of the off-side law if we are now using it with such fine margins to cancel out goals. Something is going to have to change.

I have always been very much against VAR, and I haven’t changed my opinion. It has been implemented poorly and is now a mess. It was always going to be this way. Refs will be refs wherever they are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have always been very much against VAR, and I haven’t changed my opinion. It has been implemented poorly and is now a mess. It was always going to be this way. Refs will be refs wherever they are.

Fair point. My mistake was to assume “clear and obvious errors” meant VAR would leave the ref to it and only step in if he or she had missed a howler or the ref wanted a second opinion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well I’m all for it refs can no longer favour the big boys, let’s not forget Chelsea at home Leicester when Gross scores an onside goal, penalty for us against Stoke, Sala falling over in the box. The only thing wrong is the time frame at the moment. Dan was offside yesterday it was disappointing but no more bias or cheating has to be a good thing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Scrabbling for positives... um, err, at least it’s brought a new lease of life to the “We’re going to score in a minute” chant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yeah, we defintely can't have human beings making money. Luckily writers, photographers and bloggers are now allowed to trade the exposure they get from working for free for sausages at the CoOp and I've heard that if you ask Paul Barber nicely he'll let you pay in magic beans next time you want a match ticket.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fair point. My mistake was to assume “clear and obvious errors” meant VAR would leave the ref to it and only step in if he or she had missed a howler or the ref wanted a second opinion.

Exactly this. I think over the years we have taken on the chin things like a marginal offside decision going against us, what I hoped VAR would do was stamp out clear injustices in the game, like players being sent off incorrectly, dives at penalties, blatant handball goals.

No one wants it ruling that someone is half a foot offside.

VAR won't go now though so the rules have to change, certainly the offside rule needs to change to give more benefit to the forward. And that handball rule needs altering to be much clearer for what it was designed to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here