Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football needs VAR but laws of the game aren't ready for it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think I have said this now more time's than I have said 'lucky I have X on ignore': change offside to 'clear blue daylight' and people won't feel cheated if an offside is missed then called 30 seconds later by VAR.
There probably was clear daylight between Burn and the defence wasn't there?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Just like to point out that i posted the full article for all to read and its been deleted, proving that someone is making some money out of clicks there from this site. All a bit underhand if you ask me.

Nothing underhand at all. Just Bozza protecting himself, NSC, and yourself from any potential legal claims being made for breach of copyright law.

It was said introducing VAR would make football boring. That it would take away the drama and deprive fans and pundits of having anything to talk about after matches.

Yet whenever it’s used during a game, it’s all anybody can talk about. The video assistant referee (VAR) was brought in to rid the game of questionable goals, dodgy penalty decisions and to remove the subjective calls made by referees in the heat of the moment.

It hasn’t really done any of that. Perhaps it’s even had the opposite impact; there is now more debate than ever before.

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/30cQJZf

I think it has. There will always be people who'll argue offside goals should stand, handball goals should stand, because well it's what grandad Wally had to put up with after the war.

Is this controversy? Not for me. I am surprised at the number of TV pundits having a moan up about it but it just confirms to me that not a lot of them have anything original to say, empty vessel syndrome

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it has. There will always be people who'll argue offside goals should stand, handball goals should stand, because well it's what grandad Wally had to put up with after the war.

Is this controversy? Not for me. I am surprised at the number of TV pundits having a moan up about it but it just confirms to me that not a lot of them have anything original to say, empty vessel syndrome

Well, here's a page full of links that would suggest it is indeed a contrroversy that is being discussed....

https://www.google.com/search?q=VAR...747kAhXbRxUIHbTdDgkQ_AUIESgB&biw=1366&bih=613

Probably the most worrying of those is the admission by IFAB that it may take 10 years to get the technoology right.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I said this at the time that UEFA should have paid a mid-tier European League to trial VAR for a whole season, i.e. tech up the SPL grounds, give each club £5 million to participate then run the whole season and monitor the results.

I agree that the handball laws are unclear and so an attacker gets penalised for accidental handball in the box but a defender doesn't.

I felt gutted at Trossard's first goal being chalked off, so I imagine the Citeh fans must feel sick about Laporte's "handball" in extra-time denying them the 3 points and the impact that has on the title race.

Well, here's a page full of links that would suggest it is indeed a contrroversy that is being discussed....

https://www.google.com/search?q=VAR...747kAhXbRxUIHbTdDgkQ_AUIESgB&biw=1366&bih=613

Probably the most worrying of those is the admission by IFAB that it may take 10 years to get the technoology right.

But what was actually wrong with the tech at the weekend? Burn was offside. The ball did clearly strike the Man City guy's arm. They were both great decisions by VAR. Baffled by what people actually want except wrong decisions to stand.

I don't think this controversy has got any legs, we aren't going to go back to having poorer decisions decide matches

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Thread title sums it up perfectly!
In order for VAR to work immediately it should be viewed in real time, not frame by frame, it should not be used to break a decision down to a molecular level or a minor infraction some 3-4 passes prior.
Dan Burn yesterday is a sadly a good example, in real time it is possible to see the offside without frame by frame review. If only someone had got a touch, any touch........

Additionally, not a single West Ham player contested the goal. Whist I do believe it was, by letter of the law, a correct decision.The fact no one contested the goal originally and that there was about a whole minute between the incident and the decision to go to VAR. Not that it took a minute for a decision about goal or no goal to be made, the decision to review is something that bothered me.

VAR is a step in the right direction, but there has to be some alteration to the rules.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But what was actually wrong with the tech at the weekend? Burn was offside. The ball did clearly strike the Man City guy's arm. They were both great decisions by VAR. Baffled by what people actually want except wrong decisions to stand.

I don't think this controversy has got any legs, we aren't going to go back to having poorer decisions decide matches

Sorry that this is a) The Mail and b) written by an anti-VAR journalist but if you can bring yourself to read it the technology could be out by as much as 14 inches (or about one sixth of a Dan Burn) when it comes to offside. The still briefly shown on MotD was after the ball had been kicked.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-2-4cm-offside-allowed-13cm-margin-error.html

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Do you really believe yourself? Taking the wind out of every supporter that would have celebrated a goal last season? Are you one of those people that don't understand spontaneity? It's pretty much worked for 150 years. This is the most awful technology ever brought into football, bar none. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound rude but I cannot think of any other way of putting it. VAR will kill our game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Some people appear desperate to blame VAR for everything. Blaming VAR for some of the contentious decisions we've seen (e.g. the penalties at the WWC or the Man City non-goal at the weekend) have more to do with the laws than the technology. Blaming VAR is like blaming the speed camera for catching you when you hadn't realised they'd lowered the speed limit to 30 from 40 and you get caught doing 38.

Having said that, there's no reason why it shouldn't be made faster. Impose a 30 second time limit on any decision, failure to reach a conclusive decision in that time leads to "referee's call" and it stays with their decision. That would make it more akin to something like the time it took to check and award that Pascal Gross goal against Man Utd the season before last, which was an amazing moment.

Do you really believe yourself? Taking the wind out of every supporter that would have celebrated a goal last season? Are you one of those people that don't understand spontaneity? It's pretty much worked for 150 years. This is the most awful technology ever brought into football, bar none. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound rude but I cannot think of any other way of putting it. VAR will kill our game.

Mate it seems I've been reading fans whingeing about refereeing decisions for at least 150 years. If you can hand on heart say you've never littered NSC with such moaning, then fair play. Can you?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think I have said this now more time's than I have said 'lucky I have X on ignore': change offside to 'clear blue daylight' and people won't feel cheated if an offside is missed then called 30 seconds later by VAR. Get rid of the new handball rules, particularly the one that says an accidental handball is still an offence if the handballer's team get a goal shortly after the 'offence'.

Whatever offside rule you make there will be a point where it switches from being onside to offside. Around this point there will always be arguments.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Nothing underhand at all. Just Bozza protecting himself, NSC, and yourself from any potential legal claims being made for breach of copyright law.

Are you joking? People have posted articles stuck behind paywalls and never ever had them removed, go to almost any thread based on a news article and its posted at some point. You're talking utter nonsense.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Are you joking? People have posted articles stuck behind paywalls and never ever had them removed, go to almost any thread based on a news article and its posted at some point. You're talking utter nonsense.

No he isn't. As a general warning anything we see that is fully copied and pasted will be snipped.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Whenever I see a fully C&P article I will edit so that there's just a taster paragraph or two and then a link to the full thing. I don't consider it fair to those who put time and money into producing content to have it reproduced, in full, on here.

I can only do it to those posts I see myself, so there likely are examples that have been missed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whenever I see a fully C&P article I will edit so that there's just a taster paragraph or two and then a link to the full thing. I don't consider it fair to those who put time and money into producing content to have it reproduced, in full, on here.

I can only do it to those posts I see myself, so there likely are examples that have been missed.

Fair enough, most pieces of journalism are copyrighted, saving your butt isn't splitting hairs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Also, given their different business model, their VC money and the way they are getting their journalists to push the site I would expect The Athletic in particular to be quite litigious. Only a hunch but I'm not sure why you'd go subscription only and then not protect your content. So surely other sites should be afforded the same courtesy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. Sorry my friend, this is a terrible analogy. Quite apart from the fact it's a bit crass VAR is much more analogous to CCTV or speed cameras in this instance. And having CCTV does not mean you should automatically change the amount of alcohol allowed in someone's blood stream when they drive. They are two separate things.

VAR has allowed the implementation of a very, very stupid handball rule that ruined the City v Spurs game (City, whatever you think of them, totally deserved to win that game) and has changed the offside implementation from the attacker getting the benefit when appearing to be level, to the defender getting the benefit when said attacker's left toenail is offside after the ball has been kicked.

In fact, if you want to continue with the crass analogy it's rather like saying that now we have all these cameras the roads should be safer so let's up the limts to four pints.

Beyond that I do get that you're advocating better outcomes through science. When it comes to medical process, vaccination, debunking of self diagnosis and conspiracy I'm right with you. But football is an art and art has to have its place.

:facepalm:

I was taking the piss with my analogy. Taking the piss out of folk who think that using VAR to reach a correct decision is taking all the fun out of the game and they would rather have an instant incorrect decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here