Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are the shackles off or is this a false dawn

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There was much close season talk of Potter taking the shackles off a side who looked scared of their own shadows by the end of last season. It looks like a team that “weren’t good enough to compete without defending in depth” comments from so many CH diehards are being proved very wrong....so far

Anyone still think that the players aren’t good enough and the recruitment team are shit?

Oh and THPP do you STILL think talk of shackles off is still bullshit?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A regular Sussex village based contributor to this site was keen to perpetuate the myth that players weren’t shackled under the previous mangement.

They were.

Stephens & Pröpper have turned into an untouchable partnership from last season where they were frankly appalling, especially in the last half of the season. Stephens in particular is benefiting from his new box-2-box role instead of the defensive midfielder role that saw him shackled to Dunk n’ Duffy.

Burn’s wonderful wing work would have seen him dropped last season.

The shackles are well and truly off now.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If we play like this all season, home and away, win a few, draw a few, lose a few....and finish 17th... I will be THRILLED.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we play like this all season, home and away, win a few, draw a few, lose a few....and finish 17th... I will be THRILLED.

Yep, even with the inevitable occasional drubbing which we WILL get.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I hope so, and we do look confident.

But when we have a bit of a poor run and that confidence takes a knock, we will find out

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yep, even with the inevitable occasional drubbing which we WILL get.

Can you see an Albion 0 - 5 Bournemouth at the Amex happening? We’ve looked much better than West Ham and Watford so far, I don’t think that there are many more than half a dozen teams that could give us a good hiding now.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I firmly believe the shackles are off and I'm hoping for a Wolves type season.

This. Our core team are 'seasoned' PL players now and aren't likely to get caught out by the speed and physicality that some newly promoted teams can struggle with so we have a good chance to be a mid table team this season.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Yesterday was daylight robbery.

We were a pleasure to watch.

Bring on Citeh.

Yes, the shackles are off.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Were loose on the NSC header needs replacing with Shackles Off

Withdean was better

Aug 12, 2019
We are now competing strongly in all games - Brum 0-4, Valencia 2-1, Watford 0-3, West Ham 1-1. We were the better side in all four games. There is no weak link, and we are creating many, many chances. This could be the season in which we truly become an established premier league side.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was much close season talk of Potter taking the shackles off a side who looked scared of their own shadows by the end of last season. It looks like a team that “weren’t good enough to compete without defending in depth” comments from so many CH diehards are being proved very wrong....so far

Anyone still think that the players aren’t good enough and the recruitment team are shit?

Oh and THPP do you STILL think talk of shackles off is still bullshit?

Yup, happy to confirm I still think talk of shackles off is complete BS. It's an insult to CH. A number of players under-performed chronically last season

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yup, happy to confirm I still think talk of shackles off is complete BS. It's an insult to CH. A number of players under-performed chronically last season

They under performed because they were shackled. There was only plan A, defend in depth and hope for a breakaway, which if it happened resulted in in depth defending for the rest of the game.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They under performed because they were shackled. There was only plan A, defend in depth and hope for a breakaway, which if it happened resulted in in depth defending for the rest of the game.

Some people won't get it... ever.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here