Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are the shackles off or is this a false dawn

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I just think his limited tactics came from his lack of belief in our squad.

Yep.
I wouldn’t say hughton was a flamboyant manager but he also wasnt bound by some kind of innate negativity.
The biggest factor in his downfall was the marquee signings. Too many didn’t come off, most spectacularly AJ.
Interesting that potter has sidelined locadia and aj already. maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t hughton and his tactics making them crap. Maybe they just are crap.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There's been some real pace injected with the introduction of Trossard, a real gem. Maupay will more than, er, maupay his way. Dan Burn's been something of a gawky revelation. And AJ and Big Jurg appear to be rightly sidelined. So no, I don't believe it's a false dawn. But neither do I believe in that shackles guff.

And Montoya looks like the quality operator that his CV promised he could be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
are you implying that hewts had lost the dressing room?

No, I'm not - and that's something else all of us who weren't in the dressing room will never know either. I'm implying - no, actually I'm stating a fact - that they did huddle round the six yard box like frightened sheep. All too often.

I don't know why, and I'm not going to speculate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep.
I wouldn’t say hughton was a flamboyant manager but he also wasnt bound by some kind of innate negativity.
The biggest factor in his downfall was the marquee signings. Too many didn’t come off, most spectacularly AJ.
Interesting that potter has sidelined locadia and aj already. maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t hughton and his tactics making them crap. Maybe they just are crap.

Sidelined Locadia ? He started against Watford.......bit early to say he’s been sidelined.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Do you think they would be sidelined if we didn't have Maupay and Trossard?

The decisions he’s made on those two (subbing and then overlooking one, not even putting the other on the bench) , suggests to me he isn’t impressed regardless of the fact we now have obviously better players.
I am a bit bias though as imho aj is gash and locadia is okay in mid table championship kind of way, but not up to the premier league.
Thank god it looks like we don’t have to rely on them this season.
Even with the misses yesterday, the new signings look way better.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm saying that all Bloom cares about and all I care about is the results aspect. I am not saying they are mutually exclusive but I am saying they are independent: Potter isn't a better manager BECAUSE he plays football that is more interesting to watch.

If the better results comes about through more attractive football then that's great. I would rather Potter be our manager because I think our results will be better. But if you are saying you would rather Potter be our manager than Hughton because he plays more attractive football, then it means there are other considerations beyond results that matter.

It means that in a hypothetical scenario you would rather have a manger that gets worse results but plays better football. That's obviously a reasonable position to have but not one that I share.

I refer you to Bakero's reply, which concurs with mine.
Methinks you've either got yourself into a bit of a hole and are now 'tweeking' your tune or you were rather ambivalent in your original post.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter, most of us on here, including you, all want success for our team.:thumbsup:
Especially Tony Bloom, who wants more attractive football and more success!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sidelined Locadia ? He started against Watford.......bit early to say he’s been sidelined.

Fair enough. I reckon he will struggle for minutes though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would a shacklefree Albion be a huge detriment to Mr Hughton?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christ.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Don't see this. Probably against the grain, but I see him as a bit of a weak link... I wish Bernardo could switch sides and rip it up.

He can play on the right. I think Im Right in saying he replaced Bruno there in his first game. Seems a bit criminal that Bernardo can’t get in the team.
Montoya is a funny one. Occasionally he looks class, other times a liability, mostly he’s just meh. I’d defo go Bernardo.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
A subtle difference from the side lines is that when a player tries something that doesn't come off he stands up and applauds them for giving it a try

Where as in past if a player did this they were invariably yelled at and told in no uncertain terms to get back into position

GP view is trying is good - don't be afraid to try again

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He can play on the right. I think Im Right in saying he replaced Bruno there in his first game. Seems a bit criminal that Bernardo can’t get in the team.
Montoya is a funny one. Occasionally he looks class, other times a liability, mostly he’s just meh. I’d defo go Bernardo.

He did replace Bruno. He was fvcking AWFUL.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He did replace Bruno. He was fvcking AWFUL.

Yup. Many successful right back appearances in the Bundesliga but the sages of NSC have written him off in that position after seeing him, in his Premier League debut, play there for about 65mins in one of last season’s most abject away performances by the team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yup. Many successful right back appearances in the Bundesliga but the sages of NSC have written him off in that position after his Premier League debut saw him play there for about 65mins in one of last season’s most abject away performances by the team.

Don’t have any other evidence to go on. He was repeatedly caught out of position.....it was horrible to watch. Maybe GP can work some magic.........

I’m not a sage.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Don’t have any other evidence to go on. He was repeatedly caught out of position.....it was horrible to watch. Maybe GP can work some magic.........

I’m not a sage.

Wasn't that in a 4 though?

Not sure any of us would like to see Schelotto in a back 4, but as a wing back he might just have something - same with Bernardo on the right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here