Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are the shackles off or is this a false dawn

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It does for me. Montoya was at fault for their goal. Shoddy and cheap and many other words besides for the way he gave it away.
Burn was also at fault as he tried to step up for offside instead of just going towards Hernandez and tackling him. Quite a big cock up that others haven't noticed !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don’t have any other evidence to go on. He was repeatedly caught out of position.....it was horrible to watch. Maybe GP can work some magic.........

I’m not a sage.

He did play there for c20 minutes away at Newcastle. From memory, made an early (by no means catastrophic) error and was extremely good thereafter. He was dreadful against Watford but, Bissouma excepted, all of them were.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. I'm not greedy.

It's like watching a different team now, and it's actually enjoyable. Yes, we'll get thumped a few times, yes we'll have a poor run of form - but if we stay up and play this kind of football, my Season Ticket money is bloody well spent. :albion2:

Wasn’t it lovely last Saturday truly looking forward to an Amex PL match, for the football!

Plenty of fans last season (going by the NS concourse at the time), anaesthetised themselves from our team’s awful prospects each Saturday by getting smashed, ‘the craic’ with mates the main reason for going. Now they can get pissed AND see an attacking Albion team.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I simply wish to play matches with the idea that we will compete and have a chance of winning or at least trying to win against the majority of sides

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
A comment that we saw regularly on here last year, which I completely agreed with, is that if you keep doing the same things then you will get the same results. Sadly that was exactly what was happening and I think GP’s tactics now with the same group of players is highlighting to me the limitations CH had with his tactical knowledge and this was masked by him telling everyone week on week how strong the other teams are and continually suggesting that we were always punching above our weight. GP has come in and is already showing that he has completely changed the mindset of the players not to mention the tactics. He is so far getting a much better tune out of the same players CH had at his disposal. So for me, while I will always hold CH in high regard for what he achieved for our club, the time was right to change and that change has completely lifted what was a thickening cloud developing over our team and the perception of us by the media and other fans. I don’t think it’s a case of the shackles being off, we are now evolving as a team due to the change and the future is now looking far brighter and long may that continue. It felt like a chore at times last season going to watch us play but now the pleasure and excitement has well and truly returned and I have the appointment of GP to thank for that. UTA !

Totally agree

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burn was also at fault as he tried to step up for offside instead of just going towards Hernandez and tackling him. Quite a big cock up that others haven't noticed !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Definitely........was a position where Burn should/could have taken a yellow for the team perhaps. Not going to blame Montoya solely - and as other have said Trossard completely fluffed a great chance, Burn should have got his early header on target and Maupay missed two pretty good chances. If, buts and maybes..........but at least we’re creating plenty, which is markedly different from last season. Potter has done an incredible job in just two games (with essentially the same players). The last couple of games have felt more like watching us when we were ripping up the championship than the awful, negative fare of last season. The team will only get better too as Trossard and Maupay in particular get used to the PL and Mooy settles in to the squad. Happy days.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
.TB is acutely aware that we got a bit lucky last season. We were terrible after Christmas, leading up to the Bournemouth/Cardiff fiasco's .We had collapsed, morale was at rock bottom. Cardiff had winnable looking games and a bit of momentum. CH was a dead man walking and don't let anyone pretend that he wasn't. TB had to gamble. Get rid, now the wheels had come off and rely on the caretaker bounce of maybe one win or stick with what you know and hope that he could strangle the odd point. He played safe ( albeit, that was a massive gamble ) and stuck with who he knew.
Senior management had decided a while back they needed a change of direction, a change of philosophy. I believe GP was on their radar for a while. One of the most highly vaunted young coaches in the game was getting his feet under the table at Swansea. How long could they afford to wait? They moved.
The mindset is different. The philosophy is different. The style is different. In short, a complete change. We are in the process of a complete makeover. Its early days but signs are encouraging. I believe we will be lucky to keep GP for 3-4 years. He will be viewed as a new kid on the block. I believe he is future International management potential. This is a new
dawn.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Christ, we mauled them statistically. Didn't feel quite as emphatic as that.
People are really getting excited about our reincarnation.

Going well but I know know that we are going to get some thumpings along the way. Let’s see how we feel after a couple of them. Bournemouth apart we haven’t had one for a long time.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Going well but I know know that we are going to get some thumpings along the way. Let’s see how we fell after a couple of them

Absolutely. We never looked like getting spanked under CH did we? But i can see a couple of the big boys spanking us this season. If we keep playing like this I'll happily take that. And a 5-4 or two!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely. We never looked like getting spanked under CH did we? But i can see a couple of the big boys spanking us this season. If we keep playing like this I'll happily take that. And a 5-4 or two!

High scoring games are an excitement we haven’t had for a while too.

I am going expecting no more than survival this season. Setting sights low whilst being entertained is good enough for me

Gonna be interesting to see how we react as fans and players to getting stuffed now and again

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Yada yada

As a parent of young children I recognise this response as the one usually given when an actual retort doesn’t exist. 100% the team were constrained last year. We were turgid in virtually all away games, and many at home. Defence over positivity, despite the fact we always looked better when putting teams on their back foot and no the other way around. Far too much respect given to far too many teams.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I've always said I could stomach Chris Hughton's football when it was getting results. I fully believe the players hold similar views to. The problems was, last season, it stopped getting results. We know TB wants to establish us as a top 10 club, so that requires us to push on from this mindset of being perennial relegation fodder, a mindset that I doubt seasoned internationals like Pröpper will enjoy playing in. Last season's league achievement was the lowest possible achievement without costing us our PL position. If ever there was a time to chance the footballing identity of the club, it was after last season

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

This is quite funny

ECMULBSWwAIL5B6.png

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Care to name games we took the game to the opposition that ended well? Players didn’t have a clue how to play attacking football and ended up getting beaten is my memory. Defend defend defend was very firmly engrained in the players’ minds.

Southampton away sticks in my mind as symptomatic of what was wrong last season. Total respect given to a very average saints team and we effectively gifted them a two goal lead by being ponderous and cautious. Once we needed to chase a result the team put saints on back foot and caused them problems. Cue two goals for us. We could’ve and should’ve gone into that match thinking of a victory from the outset. We did that so many times last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here