Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Middlesex CCC, CC Div 2, Hove, 18-21 August 2019***

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
He's happy at Sussex though - he was at three counties before Sussex and didn't make a F/C appearance. He's thrived here, particularly under Dizzy's tutelage..

Which is ironic, given that Gillespie was the head coach at Yorkshire, who terminated his contract over breaches of discipline!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's happy at Sussex though - he was at three counties before Sussex and didn't make a F/C appearance. He's thrived here, particularly under Dizzy's tutelage. He's probably savvy enough to know that too - sometimes a player just fits. Look at the way Mushy blossomed here, after he'd had unhappy spells elsewhere.

On the other hand, Rayner and Tom Smith seem to have done well at new counties after leaving Sussex - and Fynn-Prentice looks like he may do the same. It's not just on ability, everything has to be right.

Yes, and he said the other day how grateful he is to Sussex.
history shows though that ambition and money (and agents) talk. More than loyalty, not that he hasn’t already paid back the opportunity given to him by Sussex (It’s a long time since he was a tearaway teenager).
If Sussex are going to stay in Div Two he could be forgiven for feeling the club is holding him back.
I’m sure he’s noticed he has propped up the club’s lack of investment in batters.
Also his opportunities in T20 have been limited. It would be understandable if he felt affronted by this. After all it’s the gateway to massive money.
If I was Ollie Robinson and a big offer from one of the bigger south-based counties came in, I would be very likely to go. Short career and all that. Wouldn’t you?

Tbh I don’t think the club gives Robinson the respect he deserves. He should have got his cap at least a year ago and should start in all formats , if he wants to.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Which is ironic, given that Gillespie was the head coach at Yorkshire, who terminated his contract over breaches of discipline!

Water.....bridge....let it flow

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tbh I don’t think the club gives Robinson the respect he deserves. He should have got his cap at least a year ago and should start in all formats , if he wants to.

Yes, I was amazed to see him given his cap this week - I thought he'd have got it a couple of years ago. I think the issue with T20 is that he's had a few injury problems and they don't want to over-bowl him. Having said that, the club still have Mills on their books and he's a walking sicknote.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch Day Three

Middlesex 252-5 (84 overs), leading by 18 runs

Simpson 84* and Harris 37* have put on 81 for the 6th wicket, with power to add after lunch.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Need to break this partnership, don't really want to chase anything over 120 I reckon.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Robinson does the job with the new ball! Simpson gone for 89... looking to leave it and lost his off stump. :clap2:

87 run partnership broken.

258-6, lead 24

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
12 and counting for Robbo so far. :bowdown::clap::clap::clap::O

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yes, I was amazed to see him given his cap this week - I thought he'd have got it a couple of years ago. I think the issue with T20 is that he's had a few injury problems and they don't want to over-bowl him. Having said that, the club still have Mills on their books and he's a walking sicknote.

The over bowling issue may well be valid. Robinson has all the attributes to be a stand out t20 player though. If I was him I’d say “someone else can do the hard yards in the cc for a bit, I want to get an ipl contract”.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Has anyone found a video feed of the match ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Nice work from the skipper behind the stumps... standing up to Haines... 277-7, lead 43

TS Roland-Jones st †Brown b Haines 11 (21m 15b 1x4 0x6)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here