Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Middlesex CCC, CC Div 2, Hove, 18-21 August 2019***

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Isn't he just?
Can someone tell me what is going on with George Garton?

He was playing with the England Lions and got a bad side strain last year, getting a suitcase of an airport carousel of all things.

I can only assume he has this or another injury, as we have been so desperate for bowlers due to injuries.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When is Jordon likely to be available? We seem a bit light on bowlers, especially as we won't see Archer ever again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Went along today. Spare a thought for Steve Finn. Not long ago an England fixture but today lashed around the ground by tail enders and then copped one on the swede in the process of dropping a catch. After each over he mooched around in the field throwing his cap down or kicking his water-bottle. Not a happy bunny, but that's sport, I guess.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Went along today. Spare a thought for Steve Finn. Not long ago an England fixture but today lashed around the ground by tail enders and then copped one on the swede in the process of dropping a catch. After each over he mooched around in the field throwing his cap down or kicking his water-bottle. Not a happy bunny, but that's sport, I guess.

I do feel sorry for him. A real talent, ruined by the England coaching set up. Such a waste.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Were you listening to the commentary, I was driving and had it on in the car. They had an Aussie commentator on, Lawrie Colliver. When Beer injured him with a shot, In a thick Aussie accent, he said something like 'probably broke his nose, but he saved the four'.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is the weakest Sussex batting line up since 1997. In fact, possibly ever.
With Michael Yardy completing his move down under the club have acted to recruit a temporary batting coach. Seems appropriate.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Were you listening to the commentary, I was driving and had it on in the car. They had an Aussie commentator on, Lawrie Colliver. When Beer injured him with a shot, In a thick Aussie accent, he said something like 'probably broke his nose, but he saved the four'.

That's uncharacteristically soft and generous from an Aussie. From where I was sitting it looked like a fairly the spilling of a straightforward catch. He did look is some trouble and this made it not a 'good day at the office' for big Steve.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was chatting with someone yesterday about selection for the Test matches. (Again, I was shamefully overlooked by the selectors.) Specifically would Ollie Robinson attract the attention of the selectors? Notwithstanding all the other factors, I offered the view that maybe playing in the 2nd Division would be taken into account. (Clearly that didn't stop Jofra, but he's a bit of a special case.) Obviously it's not like football when anyone outside the top tier is very unlikely to get a call-up. But is it - should it be - a factor in county cricket? Are wickets and runs harvested in Div 2. 'cheap'?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Specifically would Ollie Robinson attract the attention of the selectors? Notwithstanding all the other factors, I offered the view that maybe playing in the 2nd Division would be taken into account.

I don't think playing in Div 2 is a factor: Cook spent pretty much his entire career playing in Div 2, it didn't do him much harm.

The bigger problem is who he'd replace. England are monitoring Anderson's fitness with a view to playing him in the 4th test and whose place is he going to take? Then there's Sam Curran, the player of the series last year, still in the squad, is he going to be pushed to one side? Finally, we have Wood and Stone, both injured, who have done nothing wrong in the tests they've played. I think there'd need to be a lot of injuries for Robinson to get in - but it's not impossible, he played for the Lions, so he's on their radar.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be interesting to see if he'd be nearer the test team if he'd delivered these same stats for Lancashire.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don't think playing in Div 2 is a factor: Cook spent pretty much his entire career playing in Div 2, it didn't do him much harm.

The bigger problem is who he'd replace. England are monitoring Anderson's fitness with a view to playing him in the 4th test and whose place is he going to take? Then there's Sam Curran, the player of the series last year, still in the squad, is he going to be pushed to one side? Finally, we have Wood and Stone, both injured, who have done nothing wrong in the tests they've played. I think there'd need to be a lot of injuries for Robinson to get in - but it's not impossible, he played for the Lions, so he's on their radar.

Probably on Div One counties’ radar too......can’t expect him to languish in div two forever

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably on Div One counties’ radar too......can’t expect him to languish in div two forever

He's happy at Sussex though - he was at three counties before Sussex and didn't make a F/C appearance. He's thrived here, particularly under Dizzy's tutelage. He's probably savvy enough to know that too - sometimes a player just fits. Look at the way Mushy blossomed here, after he'd had unhappy spells elsewhere.

On the other hand, Rayner and Tom Smith seem to have done well at new counties after leaving Sussex - and Fynn-Prentice looks like he may do the same. It's not just on ability, everything has to be right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here