Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Its simple, copy cricket and tennis.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To quote you "They'd end up just referring each time there's a goal against them and hoping for the best" The point is you would limit this. Rather than every goal, every possible penalty, every possible hand ball, you get one chance per half to challenge a howler.
Yes I know what you were trying to say, but how often are goals actually scored against each team? On average, it's less than 1 goal per half, so if a goal scored against you'd, you'd challenge it.

More importantly you might love it, but judging by all the furore over VAR you are clearly in the minority so a compromise/change needs to happen.
It's only been going a bloody week. Let's see how people feel at the end of the season.

"They'd end up just referring each time there's a goal against them and hoping for the best (so today's goal would have still been ruled out)" would suggest you hadn't read the bit about only a limited number of appeals being available.
See above. I had read it. They would have reviewed the goal, it would have been disallowed. We'd have reviewed the goal against us, and it (presumably) would have stood. We'd have lost our review, but that wouldn't have mattered. The most important time to use a review is when there's a goal against you. There aren't that many goals scored against you, so you just do it every time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn’t play stopped in football after a goal??
Yes, but what if you believe you should have had a penalty, but play continues? You can't stop and chat. How would it work? How do you signal for a review while play continues, and does the ref immediately stop the game, or does he wait a while before giving you the review?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Save VAR for after the half.If the Ref got it wrong,banish them to non-league for a month.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Yes, but what if you believe you should have had a penalty, but play continues? You can't stop and chat. How would it work? How do you signal for a review while play continues, and does the ref immediately stop the game, or does he wait a while before giving you the review?

You’d query it when there’s a break in play surely? It’s better than what we’ve got at the moment. Goals are an easy one - you’d have to be specific as to why you were querying it. And for a penalty shout, it would be obvious there was a query and when the ball goes out you have the option to review.

Not that complicated is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
To continue the cricket analogy, where a decision is so marginal (I.e. Sterling last week) it should be ‘referees decision’

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is the problem with VAR, it doesn't engage with the fans in the ground.
There is an obvious solution teams like Liverpool and Manchester United need to install two large screens in their grounds or face relegation. Then the whole process of a VAR review needs to be shown on the in ground screens with audio so that everyone in the ground is fully aware of why the VAR decision has been made, rather than spending time trying to find out why the decision has been made via social media or some other avenue.

You would need competent screen operators as well, hopefully bhafc are interviewing this week to fill the post for next Saturday

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The issue here is retrospective technology. If the match was being followed in real time then we would have a situation where referrals would be completed so much quicker. Until that happens these discussions will continue in cycle.

I thought it was being followed in real time. The Hammers match was relayed to a Ref in London. I guess what takes the time is checking and re checking. There is no point having VAR if they are rushed into mistakes

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

The same as the ref does, it would need to be a very quick decision. Its the same as now, no penalty is given, play continues, VAR checks while game is in progress and then either play continues or stops and a penalty is taken.

I was just reading about the lino's at the World Cup and I think now in the PL, they have been told to keep the flag down for close calls, let the play continue and let VAR sort it out, this is clearly causing problems. I spotted Burns offside but no call was made, to be honest I thought when that brilliant goal was scored that I there must be some reason, some nuance to the offside rule, that it had not been challenged. The flag should have been raised and we would not have had that awful 10 minutes or so of quite in the stadium. Not only this allowing a clear offside to pass, allowing the ball to be brought to the centre for a kick off and then overturning it can and will have a demoralising effect on the team concerned. Better the flag is raised in slight error than that debacle, but then here is the rub, what do you do if the lino raises the flag in error and then a second or two late a goal is scored? Can you review that, as the defending team will claim they reacted to the flag? To be honest I thought Blatter was a total prat for resisting VAR, now I am begging to wonder if he was not correct. Mind you as has already been said a few times the main push was for Goal Line tech not this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You’d query it when there’s a break in play surely?
Sometimes there's no break in play for ages, so it would be a complete farce.
It’s better than what we’ve got at the moment.
I disagree.
Goals are an easy one - you’d have to be specific as to why you were querying it.
So unless you know the opponents handled it, or fouled one of your players, you'd just say it was offside.
And for a penalty shout, it would be obvious there was a query and when the ball goes out you have the option to review.
Like I said, sometimes the ball doesn't go out for ages.
It's more complicated that it is now, and it's fine as it is. You don't like it as it is, but I think what you're proposing is worse. People don't like change, but they'll get over themselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To continue the cricket analogy, where a decision is so marginal (I.e. Sterling last week) it should be ‘referees decision’
And as has been covered, you need to specify what's marginal. Is it 30cm? Or daylight?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The same as the ref does, it would need to be a very quick decision. Its the same as now, no penalty is given, play continues, VAR checks while game is in progress and then either play continues or stops and a penalty is taken.
But while play continues, the attacking team are supposed to stop and chat to decide if they want to make a referral. Whereas the way it is now, you just play on, and VAR checks it anyway, with no harm to anyone.

I was just reading about the lino's at the World Cup and I think now in the PL, they have been told to keep the flag down for close calls, let the play continue and let VAR sort it out, this is clearly causing problems. I spotted Burns offside but no call was made, to be honest I thought when that brilliant goal was scored that I there must be some reason, some nuance to the offside rule, that it had not been challenged. The flag should have been raised and we would not have had that awful 10 minutes or so of quite in the stadium. Not only this allowing a clear offside to pass, allowing the ball to be brought to the centre for a kick off and then overturning it can and will have a demoralising effect on the team concerned.
I don't think the linesman spotted it. I think they're supposed to flag after the goal, to indicate that they think it was offside. Equally, if no goal is scored quickly, they're supposed to flag for offside if they think it was.

Better the flag is raised in slight error than that debacle, but then here is the rub, what do you do if the lino raises the flag in error and then a second or two late a goal is scored?
As above, they're supposed to wait until the chance has gone or there's been a goal.

Can you review that, as the defending team will claim they reacted to the flag?
Tough, you play to the whistle.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
You’d query it when there’s a break in play surely? It’s better than what we’ve got at the moment. Goals are an easy one - you’d have to be specific as to why you were querying it. And for a penalty shout, it would be obvious there was a query and when the ball goes out you have the option to review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the more bizarre posts on NSC for a while

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Bollocks off. I never wanted it.

Me neither. It was so obvious this was going to happen. Refs are still refs whether on the pitch or in an office somewhere

And the way the Premier League have implemented it is even worse than in the World Cup. Onfield refs have no say at all in major decisions

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Give the VAR refs 10 seconds to decide

Then onfield decision stands - at least we would know what’s going on

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Get rid entirely.

Quite frankly once it didn't spot England strikers being wrestled to the ground it proved itself to be not fit for purpose.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Bollocks off. I never wanted it.

Yes, obviously I know it wasn't everyone who wanted it, but there was a sizeable majority in favour on here. And those that have been whining and wingeing about it for the last five years now have it, and I hope they choke on it.

One of my single biggest pleasures in life is losing it when albion score , and seeing the players lose it.
This has now been tempered.
Var is good in principle but how it’s being delivered is killing the spectacle.
One of my single biggest frustrations in life is losing it when Albion suffer injustice, and seeing the players lose it.
This has now been rectified.
VAR is good in principle and now it’s being delivered is killing the cheating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here