Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Its simple, copy cricket and tennis.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of my single biggest frustrations in life is losing it when Albion suffer injustice, and seeing the players lose it.
This has now been rectified.
VAR is good in principle and now it’s being delivered is killing the cheating.

One of my single biggest pleasures in life is losing it when the Albion score.

Can't do that any more now. Not in the same way. VAR has "recitified" it.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
This thread, previous threads, discussion over lunch yesterday and Saturday, I am so so bored of VAR already.

It just feels like clinical computerised decision making (boring). Its a game, officiated and played by humans, let them get on with it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Should we have VAR? Yes

Should it before decisions like city have had in the past 2 weeks? No

It should be used for goals that are a clear and obvious error - Cardiff away last season.

It’s such a flawed system - a goal scored from an incorrectly given corner is a bigger issue than some one 2mm off side

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One of my single biggest frustrations in life is losing it when Albion suffer injustice, and seeing the players lose it.
This has now been rectified.
VAR is good in principle and now it’s being delivered is killing the cheating.

Sure but a bit sad in the Watford game when maupay didn’t really celebrate his goal as he thought he might be offside. Turns out he wasn’t offside but the moment had gone

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This thread, previous threads, discussion over lunch yesterday and Saturday, I am so so bored of VAR already.

It just feels like clinical computerised decision making (boring). Its a game, officiated and played by humans, let them get on with it.

It's still officiated by humans. The people in the VAR room or whatever it is are humans. They're just using available technology to spot things.

VAR isn't f**king Skynet.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
1.With regards to offsides, surely it would be better if the assistants made the decision and if there was a clear error, then review but not to check every goal scored.
2. Handball. The rule change was crazy. It should be simply hand to ball is a free kick/ penalty. Ball to hand is not deliberate.
3. Why are we not seeing the wrestling at corners and free kicks being reviewed for penalties or defensive freee kicks?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Is it?? How? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on now, be serious

After a potential VAR incident, you want to wait for a break in play, before it gets queried.
That could take five minutes.

Sorry but that’s just very bizarre

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s such a flawed system - a goal scored from an incorrectly given corner is a bigger issue than some one 2mm off side

Good point - and so is a goal scored from a wrongly awarded free kick.

...............and as for VAR rectifying things, how many penalties has VAR awarded for wrestling attackers to the ground in the penalty area which the ref. has missed?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
But while play continues, the attacking team are supposed to stop and chat to decide if they want to make a referral.

NO like I said it would need to be bloody quick same as for the ref. Take the Watford game for example, the player doing his nut over Murrays supposed handball, rather than yell at the ref he signals the skipper and it then becomes a quick matter of trust, is he being a pratt or was there really a handball, yes or no make a decision on the fly. Same as the ref has to when he calls a penalty etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
NO like I said it would need to be bloody quick same as for the ref. Take the Watford game for example, the player doing his nut over Murrays supposed handball, rather than yell at the ref he signals the skipper and it then becomes a quick matter of trust, is he being a pratt or was there really a handball, yes or no make a decision on the fly. Same as the ref has to when he calls a penalty etc.
The differences are: it's the ref's job to be in a position to see potential penalty calls, and that's what he's looking at (whereas the captain of a team has a job on the pitch to do, rather than just watching for fouls); also, when there's a decision to be made, the ref can take a second and replay the incident in his mind - that attacking team don't have that luxury, they need to keep playing.

I can't see the problem with VAR checking while play continues.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It's not about checking while play continues, this would happen under my concept ie player flags captain, captain flags ref, ref calls for var. This is happening already with players demanding the ref change his decision. The issue lies in the removal of spontaneity, the demotion of the on field officials. I know you dont get it, you are part of the minority of fans who like the new system, so you will never get what the majority of us are screaming about. Using a limited referral system reduces the effect on the game but still gives the players the ability to challenge the type of awful decisions that led to the call for VAR in the first place, it was never about a players shoulder being 5 mm in front of the defender, for goodness sake this is football not gymnastics or other sports where you lose points because your body position was less than perfect.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Come on now, be serious

After a potential VAR incident, you want to wait for a break in play, before it gets queried.
That could take five minutes.

Sorry but that’s just very bizarre

Whilst I appreciate the patronising tone, don't we currently wait for a break to review a VAR incident? The ref doesn't blow his whistle immediately and stick his finger in his ear does he. He waits for a break. So what's the difference?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The differences are: it's the ref's job to be in a position to see potential penalty calls, and that's what he's looking at (whereas the captain of a team has a job on the pitch to do, rather than just watching for fouls); also, when there's a decision to be made, the ref can take a second and replay the incident in his mind - that attacking team don't have that luxury, they need to keep playing.

For how long? Have we won the Watford game yet?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Whilst I appreciate the patronising tone, don't we currently wait for a break to review a VAR incident? The ref doesn't blow his whistle immediately and stick his finger in his ear does he. He waits for a break. So what's the difference?

Who knows? I certainly don’t, like I don’t know at any point during a game if what I am watching is what I am watching.
I may be watching a passage of play that could be turned over at any time. And that’s part of the problem of this utterly shambolic introduction of a potentially useful technology.
Let’s have a ten second rule - if the guys in their little office haven’t seen a problem by then, there can’t have been a problem.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Who knows? I certainly don’t, like I don’t know at any point during a game if what I am watching is what I am watching.
I may be watching a passage of play that could be turned over at any time. And that’s part of the problem of this utterly shambolic introduction of a potentially useful technology.
Let’s have a ten second rule - if the guys in their little office haven’t seen a problem by then, there can’t have been a problem.

Probably wasn't that bizzare a comment after all then eh?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not about checking while play continues, this would happen under my concept ie player flags captain, captain flags ref, ref calls for var.
What a palava.
This is happening already with players demanding the ref change his decision.
Nothing new there. They can ask him for VAR too if they like, but it won't make any difference. Eventually they'll learn that they're wasting their time. Another benefit of VAR is that when players are hassling the ref to change his mind, they put doubt into his mind, hoping to influence the rest of his decisions in the game, but because he knows VAR will check things, he's immediately reassured that he's not had a nightmare, and that the players are just whinging losers.

I know you dont get it, you are part of the minority of fans who like the new system, so you will never get what the majority of us are screaming about.
I do 'get it', but I think the benefits outweigh the costs. Of course I'd like to be able to celebrate a goal knowing that it won't be overturned in a couple of minutes, but I also like knowing that mistakes are going to be less frequent.

Using a limited referral system reduces the effect on the game but still gives the players the ability to challenge the type of awful decisions that led to the call for VAR in the first place
You say that like it's a fact, but it has never been tested. It wouldn't have changed anything for us on Saturday. You also complain about it being too accurate, but I see from your other posts that you didn't even know the offside rules anyway.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
but I see from your other posts that you didn't even know the offside rules anyway.

Get over yourself, I asked a reasonable question that received a variety of answers and cleared up some confusion that others had as well. Personally I would rather asked questions when I am not entirely sure of something than pretend I know the answer. Its comments like yours that have people hiding away with their eyes cast down to scared too ask a question for fear of people like you trying to score cheap points from it. Got news for you pal that won't work with me.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
You say that like it's a fact, but it has never been tested. It wouldn't have changed anything for us on Saturday..

You are assuming without reason that a team will automatically use their referral if a goal is scored, or they think there should have been a penalty rewarded. unless it is blindingly obvious that it was totally legit. I suspect they would be cautious about risking losing the referral. Even so lets look at Watford, 3 goals one penalty appeal. So according to your rational Watford would have appealed the O/G hoping Murray was deemed offside and interfering with the play, so that is their appeal gone, second half we half 3 more incidences and only one appeal which would have been overturned leaving no more use of the VAR in that game so at least one of those goals or both (not sure if the penalty shout came before or after the goals) the players and fans could have relaxed and gone mental without fear of it being over turned and the minutes worrying about a penalty would not have happened. West Ham it would not have made a difference, except I doubt West ham would have appealed the "first" goal which would have been a mistake on their part. So no I am not certain it would always improve the situation but I do think it would in high scoring/ high incidence games.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Bit of a chicken and egg that one. These types of handball decisions can only be made with the aid of VAR. Neither the Wolves nor City decisions were made live, therefore they are down to VAR.

Also the handball law was changed so that handball could be categorised as "clear and obvious" for VAR. "Clear and obvious" to the VAR and referees isnt what us fans tend to think it is. It is now a law that is either black or white. So its either handball or not (hence the change to the law which removed accidental which is debatable and not clear and obvious). It either hit the hand or it didnt thats how they want it. You are offside or not even if it is by milimeters, it has removed any kind of common sense with offside or hand ball just so they dont have to put their neck on the line and make a decision while using VAR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here