Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Its simple, copy cricket and tennis.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Yes I know this another VAR thread, but one with a slight difference in that it has a tried and tested solution. The whole push for a VAR came from the need to stop howlers such as the "Hand of God" and other such notorious incidents. What we have ended up is a bloody monstrosity that only the most pedantic of perfectionists can like. Why not follow both cricket and tennis and give the sides a certain amount of referrals per half (probably one certainly no more than two) and leave the rest up to the on field refs, who I would not give the power of referral to as I suspect they would be too scared NOT to use it if they had it.

This then gives the ability to the Captain/Manager to challenge a decision based on what his team are telling him.

This system would deliver what was behind the push that led to VAR rather than the perfectionist system we have been lumbered with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it's great.
What we have ended up is a bloody monstrosity that only the most pedantic of perfectionists can like.
Excuse me ???
Why not follow both cricket and tennis and give the sides a certain amount of referrals per half (probably one certainly no more than two) and leave the rest up to the on field refs, who I would not give the power of referral to as I suspect they would be too scared NOT to use it if they had it.

This then gives the ability to the Captain/Manager to challenge a decision based on what his team are telling him.
One issue I see with that is that it's often impossible for the players to see when it is and isn't offside. They're watching making runs, or watching the ball, and can't see where the defender is the moment a pass is made. They'd end up just referring each time there's a goal against them and hoping for the best (so today's goal would have still been ruled out). And if you give it to managers instead, some will have a team of people looking watching the game from around the pitch, looking at live footage etc, ready to give a signal to the manager (who, incidentally, would also not be in a position to see when a goal is offside).

In cricket (and tennis), play is stopped after every ball, and the team can have a quick chat about whether or not to refer. That's not so much an option with football.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I think it's great.Excuse me ???
Then I guess you are the type of pedantic perfectionist that I am talking about. As to "they can't see it" the players certainly think they can, remonstrating enough that they often get carded (or should) for their protestations. Let them put their money where their mouth is. Also if you had read my post carefully you would see that they would not be able to constantly refer, same as you cannot in Cricket or Tennis.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As to "they can't see it" the players certainly think they can, remonstrating enough that they often get carded (or should) for their protestations.
Complaining to the ref doesn't mean they know. Defenders often put their hands up for offside, but there's much more chance the linesman is right. Equally strikers often celebrate only to later find out they were offside. They don't know.

Also if you had read my post carefully you would see that they would not be able to constantly refer, same as you cannot in Cricket or Tennis.
Seriously? If you'd read my reply you'd know that I knew that.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Complaining to the ref doesn't mean they know. Defenders often put their hands up for offside, but there's much more chance the linesman is right. Equally strikers often celebrate only to later find out they were offside. They don't know.

Seriously? If you'd read my reply you'd know that I knew that.
To quote you "They'd end up just referring each time there's a goal against them and hoping for the best" The point is you would limit this. Rather than every goal, every possible penalty, every possible hand ball, you get one chance per half to challenge a howler.

More importantly you might love it, but judging by all the furore over VAR you are clearly in the minority so a compromise/change needs to happen. As I said we need to get back to the reason this was brought in which was to stop clear and obvious bad decisions.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Two challenges per game. But if your challenge is successful, you get that one back.

Generally agree with your post. If the ref doesn't see it, the linos don't see it, the eleven opposing players don't see it, the manager and coaching staff don't see it, then it is probably not a clear and obvious error.

Edit: Plus, of course, the ref should be able to ask for a review for a specific reason if he's unsure, since being unsure means he spotted a *possible* infraction.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Two challenges per game. But if your challenge is successful, you get that one back.

Generally agree with your post. If the ref doesn't see it, the linos don't see it, the eleven opposing players don't see it, the manager and coaching staff don't see it, then it is probably not a clear and obvious error.

Edit: Plus, of course, the ref should be able to ask for a review for a specific reason if he's unsure, since being unsure means he spotted a *possible* infraction.

Take out the last bit on the ref and I’m in.
Trigaar obviously doesn’t go to watch live.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One of my single biggest pleasures in life is losing it when albion score , and seeing the players lose it.
This has now been tempered.
Var is good in principle but how it’s being delivered is killing the spectacle

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The problem with VAR is it isn’t being used for ‘clear and obvious’ errors.

Some of the offsides that have been given( I’m thinking Sterling last week) are so marginal that it’s in danger of ruining the game.

It’s all well and good getting the decisions right, and to be fair I’ve not seen any incorrect VAR decisions in the Prem yet this season. But are we in danger of ruining the game we all love ?

I won’t deny that I celebrated Trossards equalizer with one eye on the ref and the big screens. Took something away from it for me personally and although I’m not going to suddenly throw my season ticket in the bin I’m worried if the focus on getting every decision correct is going to take away some of the excitement of going to a game.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This is what you all wanted. You made your bed now you can flamin well lie in it.

No it is not. We wanted the ability to overturn obviously incorrect decisions, not "he was offside by 2mm" nor did we want the game held up for every major moment. Giving the teams one, maybe two, referrals deals with the issue. Very few wanted this.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Plus, of course, the ref should be able to ask for a review for a specific reason if he's unsure, since being unsure means he spotted a *possible* infraction.
The problem with this although it sounds good means the pressure is on the ref to call for a review in case his decision is incorrect, it is a bit of an issue in cricket. Don't give the ref this ability and the problem is solved, they cannot be blasted for not calling in VAR. Leave it up to the potentially aggrieved team to put their money where their mouth is.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The problem with this although it sounds good means the pressure is on the ref to call for a review in case his decision is incorrect, it is a bit of an issue in cricket. Don't give the ref this ability and the problem is solved, they cannot be blasted for not calling in VAR. Leave it up to the potentially aggrieved team to put their money where their mouth is.

Better idea still, do away with refs and make ALL decisions remotely. The ref is largely redundant now, so this is the next obvious progression for Frankenstein’s monster!

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Take out the last bit on the ref and I’m in.
Trigaar obviously doesn’t go to watch live.

Neither do I unfortunately. Its bloody long way from Aus. One of these days I will match up a visit with a game, last time was Dads funeral and the season hadn't started, not that I would have been in the mood for it. Luckily we have OPTUS Sports and I can watch every PL game live and in HD, with replays ETC. Pain in the arse when it is a late kick off, I have to set the alarm for 2 or 4 in the morning. I can watch it later but its not the same, plus i have to try to avoid seeing the results.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Better idea still, do away with refs and make ALL decisions remotely. The ref is largely redundant now, so this is the next obvious progression for Frankenstein’s monster!

FARK NO. Could you imagine it. But yes this is the direction it seems to be going. Time to put the monster into shackles.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It’s all well and good getting the decisions right, and to be fair I’ve not seen any incorrect VAR decisions in the Prem yet this season.

Apart from the two cast iron penalties yesterday) Man City vs Tottenham and Villa vs Bournemouth) not given

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here