Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The VAR questions/hypothetical situations/peculiarities thread

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've sussed out where the VAR HQ is at Stockley Park.
In homage to the OF&H joke of the Dalai Lama building, where a load of bald blokes hang about.
For VAR, it's where a load of blokes/ladies hang about dressed in black blowing whistles, doing the charades tv thing with a finger to their ears.
Fascinating:wozza:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, is VAR the Premier League’s decision to implement? Or has Uefa imposed it upon us?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Out of interest, is VAR the Premier League’s decision to implement? Or has Uefa imposed it upon us?

I believe it is the premier league's decision. They certainly have there own requirements/policies. It was a premier league directive to discourage refs from looking at pitch side monitors (uefa.fifa? insist on it everywhere else), the premier league decided not to look at goalkeepers coming off their line at penalties, etc.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Liverpool v Man City today.

Penalty to Man City to go 1 up. No - 1-0 to Liverpool on the break from the non-penalty.

From an earlier post
if an attacking player...

gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
scores in the opponents’ goal
creates a goal-scoring opportunity
scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental

The city player clearly fists the ball toward the liverpool player creating the chance of a penalty so they cancel each other out.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
VAR is ****ing shit. It is completely ruining football. The decisions yesterday to rule out the Sheffield Utd goal because a pubic hair was offside is scandalous, and it took nearly 3 minutes to make that decision. It's not often I agree with Lineker, but he made a point last night on MOTD, that if a definitive decision cannot be made within 1 minute, then leave it.

It's the inconsistency that ****s me off. Utd's second should (under recent examples) have been disallowed for handball. City should possibly have had 2 penalties today. still can't believe our penalty award last week,

JUST GET RID

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m convinced studs up to someone’s chest / shoulder is a red. Apparently, even with VAR it’s not. It depends what team it’s for I guess.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
VAR is ****ing shit. It is completely ruining football. The decisions yesterday to rule out the Sheffield Utd goal because a pubic hair was offside is scandalous, and it took nearly 3 minutes to make that decision. It's not often I agree with Lineker, but he made a point last night on MOTD, that if a definitive decision cannot be made within 1 minute, then leave it.

It's the inconsistency that ****s me off. Utd's second should (under recent examples) have been disallowed for handball. City should possibly have had 2 penalties today. still can't believe our penalty award last week,

JUST GET RID
The referee didnt give a penalty to City and VAR just refused to overule him you would still be complaining the same without VAR.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe it is the premier league's decision. They certainly have there own requirements/policies. It was a premier league directive to discourage refs from looking at pitch side monitors (uefa.fifa? insist on it everywhere else), the premier league decided not to look at goalkeepers coming off their line at penalties, etc.

Premier league clubs voted to have it, last year they voted to wait.

Thanks. Hopefully the clubs will now vote to bin it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The referee didnt give a penalty to City and VAR just refused to overule him you would still be complaining the same without VAR.

But that's my point. We've seen VAR give penalties for the same type of handball, and some not. Personally couldn't give a monkeys if City were given a penalty or not, but if we are going to use VAR, let's at least keep it consistent.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
But that's my point. We've seen VAR give penalties for the same type of handball, and some not. Personally couldn't give a monkeys if City were given a penalty or not, but if we are going to use VAR, let's at least keep it consistent.

They may be consistant but because they arent explaining their decisions we dont know.

For example the penalty today all of the media are concentrating on the liverpool players handball. Nobody is commenting on the original City handball.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This one just popped into my head; what if...

A team attacks, scores a goal. The goal scorer goes nuts, runs over to the crowd removing his shirt jumping into the stands and celebrating with the fans (yes, I'm ignoring the "no one celebrates a goal any more" lies). Should he still be booked when the goal is disallowed? If he is booked, does it stand?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“ It is understood the accuracy of decision making around key incidents, such as goals, red cards and penalties, has increased from 82% last season to above 90% this term.”

So, all this crap just for an extra measly 8% extra accuracy.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
“ It is understood the accuracy of decision making around key incidents, such as goals, red cards and penalties, has increased from 82% last season to above 90% this term.”

So, all this crap just for an extra measly 8% extra accuracy.

It's utterly ludicrous. It's probably reduced my match going enjoyment by at least 15% anyway so not a good trade off but I bet the refs and the premier league couldn't give a monkeys about the fans in the stadium. I see now the commentators are getting to hear at least the back end of var conversations before anyone else so at least tv is happy. And also to see Dermot Gallagher defend that ridiculous offside decision at Spurs by saying the technology is accurate tells me all I need to know about these goons. Hate it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's utterly ludicrous. It's probably reduced my match going enjoyment by at least 15% anyway so not a good trade off but I bet the refs and the premier league couldn't give a monkeys about the fans in the stadium. I see now the commentators are getting to hear at least the back end of var conversations before anyone else so at least tv is happy. And also to see Dermot Gallagher defend that ridiculous offside decision at Spurs by saying the technology is accurate tells me all I need to know about these goons. Hate it.

Regarding your last point, have they released any details about its workings and/or figures regarding its accuracy? I’d love to see the technology and science behind this.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Regarding your last point, have they released any details about its workings and/or figures regarding its accuracy? I’d love to see the technology and science behind this.

Not sure other than Gallagher said it's a separate var technician who draws the lines rather than the var ref but as others have said it simply can't be 100% accurate for offside with frame rate, ball impact on boot etc. So, in my opinion, if they have to keep using it then let the lino flag if he thinks it's a clear offside and if it can be obviously proved it's clearly wrong within 30 seconds then overrule otherwise it's "lino's call".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The guy in charge, Swarbrick, has given himself 7/10 for VAR!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

You could say "well he would say that wouldn't he?", but he must be secretly unhappy, if I were marking my own work I'd give myself 10/10. Loads of comments from pros and ex-pros saying they were in favour of VAR but the way its being implemented is terrible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure other than Gallagher said it's a separate var technician who draws the lines rather than the var ref but as others have said it simply can't be 100% accurate for offside with frame rate, ball impact on boot etc. So, in my opinion, if they have to keep using it then let the lino flag if he thinks it's a clear offside and if it can be obviously proved it's clearly wrong within 30 seconds then overrule otherwise it's "lino's call".

It’s utter bullshit for any ref to suggest this is 100% accurate. It’s also utter bollocks to suggest a player is offside due to an armpit or a toenail; we’ve lost sight of why it was introduced if we are doing this. Figure out what the tolerance of this contraption is, and have a similar margin for offside. And if you can’t work it out within 30 seconds move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here