Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar

The VAR questions/hypothetical situations/peculiarities thread

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking today, as Michael Antonio went down in the box under Dunk's challenge, what would happen if we had immediately bombed down the other end and scored? I'm guessing our goal would be chalked off if it was deemed a pen and play would have restarted with a West Ham penalty!

This seems like a fairly likely situation to unfold in the Premier League in some form sooner rather than later. For example, there could be a bit of tussling in the box during a corner followed by a quick break down the other end by the defending team and a goal - only for VAR to callback play for an infringement during the corner by the defending team and award a penalty. Is there a time limit to how far back in play we can go? Would additional time be added for the "play" that occurred prior to VAR making the call?

I had some other hypothetical questions but they have escaped me so will leave this thread here for now!

Today was gutting watching on the TV and I can only imagine how it felt for those there - VAR certainly much more painful for those in attendance.
    PURA VIDA MAE

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      -Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9038306]I was thinking today, as Michael Antonio went down in the box under Dunk's challenge, what would happen if we had immediately bombed down the other end and scored? I'm guessing our goal would be chalked off if it was deemed a pen and play would have restarted with a West Ham penalty!

This seems like a fairly likely situation to unfold in the Premier League in some form sooner rather than later. For example, there could be a bit of tussling in the box during a corner followed by a quick break down the other end by the defending team and a goal - only for VAR to callback play for an infringement during the corner by the defending team and award a penalty. Is there a time limit to how far back in play we can go? Would additional time be added for the "play" that occurred prior to VAR making the call?

I had some other hypothetical questions but they have escaped me so will leave this thread here for now!

Today was gutting watching on the TV and I can only imagine how it felt for those there - VAR certainly much more painful for those in attendance.
      I don't actually have a problem with wrongs being righted, but it's the amount of time it takes to get there that got to me today.

It seems like VAR is a bit 'work in progress' and just something we'll get used to....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      It's similar to the question last week of what would have happened if the Murray 'handball' resulted in us going up the other end and scoring. A ball striking the arm in the build up to a goal is a ruled a handball whether it's intentional or not. So it's not a penalty for blocking a shot, but would it have been one if it led to us scoring?

My understanding is that the ref should 'reset' attacking plays at suitable moments, which gives VAR a point to which their review goes back. So, it would come down to when the ref 'resets' the attack. If he does that after the challenge, when we, for example, cross the halfway line then it would have been ignored. If he doesn't reset it unless an initial attack is repelled, and then a second wave of the attack results in a goal, maybe it would have not been looked at.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      I don't actually have a problem with wrongs being righted, but it's the amount of time it takes to get there that got to me today.

It seems like VAR is a bit 'work in progress' and just something we'll get used to....

Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it either and even though it was gutting today it was the right decision. But there are some situations where I genuinely don't know the rules, such as what I posted above.
      PURA VIDA MAE

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ View Post
      I was thinking today, as Michael Antonio went down in the box under Dunk's challenge, what would happen if we had immediately bombed down the other end and scored? I'm guessing our goal would be chalked off if it was deemed a pen and play would have restarted with a West Ham penalty!

Like the handball against Burnley last season when they either scored or got the penalty, can't quite remember what the outcome was.

1 Not allowed!
      Happened in the nations league this summer. Dutch goal (?) chalked off and Portugal given a pen instead.
      Well the thirty minutes are almost up Swindon fans but your not there yet. in it goes (yyyyyyeeeessssssss) ooohhh its gone in, Brighton in added on time have snatched a goal through Virgo!!! Incredible!! Once again there is late, late, late drama in the playoffs!!

Unused substitute REMF 5.

Proud owner of Hendersons Gloves from 18/10/2005. Crystal Palace 0-1 Brighton And Hove Albion
      The voice of treason Guy Fawkes's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ View Post

Maybe i was the only one in the ground that wasn't celebrating the goal (which VAR ruled out) as it looked clear to me that Burn was offside in the build up when the ball was played in, as no one else touched it before he'd run onto it himself and crossed it back in, i knew i was always going to be disallowed

Under the VAR rules we have now, the assistants tend not to flag and allow VAR to check for offsides instead, had there been no VAR, the likelihood is that the assistant would have flagged it offside

Regarding your original hypothetical question, i'm pretty sure i've heard that that has already happened elsewhere and yes the goal would be disallowed and a penalty would have been awarded instead (too slow typing my response and beaten to it by Da Man Clay)

1 Not allowed!
      The Man City handball for their disallowed 3rd goal is a stupid rule. Totally accidental but goal ruled out anyway. If the defender had handballed it in that manner, it would NOT be a penalty. A total bollox of a rule that must be scrapped at the earliest opportunity (next season presumably).
      Sanibona!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
      Maybe i was the only one in the ground that wasn't celebrating the goal (which VAR ruled out) as it looked clear to me that Burn was offside in the build up when the ball was played in, as no one else touched it before he'd run onto it himself and crossed it back in, i knew i was always going to be disallowed

Under the VAR rules we have now, the assistants tend not to flag and allow VAR to check for offsides instead, had there been no VAR, the likelihood is that the assistant would have flagged it offside

Regarding your original hypothetical question, i'm pretty sure i've heard that that has already happened elsewhere and yes the goal would be disallowed and a penalty would have been awarded instead (too slow typing my response and beaten to it by Da Man Clay)
      But the goal was allowed, the linesman did not flag, the West Ham players were ready to restart with a kick-off, it was someone over 100 miles away who made decision to advise the ref that there may have been an offside offence. Up until that moment the goal stood.