Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you settle for BHA to finish 14th this campaign?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It amuses me that we've gone from 3rd favs for the drop to 7th favourites, we've only played 2 games and won only one!

Obviously we always knew our odds just over a week ago were absolutely absurd but if we play absolute shite at home to fellow relegation possibles Southampton next week, those odds will again change dramatically.

For what its worth, I reckon we will finish quite high - somewhere between 9th and 15th I should think.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A really good question. The pragmatist in me screams "yeeeeeessssss" but two games in I am also finding myself absurdly excited at the potential in this unshackled squad.

Oh, go on then! 14th will do for this season very nicely.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Absolutely. I think we'll find it harder when teams work out how to play against us.

Undoubtedly true. We have to try and get cheap points on the board while we remain something of an unknown quantity. Just staying up with tangible signs of potential for the future would suffice. That said, I am really enjoying the fact that the team is finally playing as though it belongs in the Premier League. Last season just felt like an inferiority complex played out on grass.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes especially if that is the table and palarse are 15th, with Newcastle down and Villa staying up.

Would be progress and a good base to build and improve from.

I'm not sure the % of teams who go down within their first 3 years but that feels like the norm. I would imagine if you last beyond that, then statistically there would be a jump in your chances to stay up the following year, compared to surviving once or twice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Happily settle for 14th - providing we get served up the same sort of positive football we've seen so far, albeit early days obviously.

Besides, it'll be nice to finish above Chelsea.

It would be nice just to beat Chelsea, the only team we haven't beaten yet (in the league, that is).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Would settle for 14th, but if we can keep this up all season we will be top ten.
Such a joy to watch now and only 2 games in, it is like having a whole new squad.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Which begs the question, which teams wouldn't you be surprised to see drop?

EDIT - I see you've already answered that:
Blimey. Prepare to be surprised.

Exactly, I think all the teams this year have a strong chance of staying up. Newcastle might struggle given all their recent issues. One thing for sure, if we do go down playing like we are then we can hold our heads bloody high, and I would predict an immediate return to the PL.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Exactly, I think all the teams this year have a strong chance of staying up.

Yes, I've been a little worried about this. It feels like the general standard across the division is high this season and there are unlikely to be many "whipping boys". If that does turn out to be the case, then we might not see any teams cut adrift in the way we did last season and 36 points may not suffice to stay up. Very early days though. There's a whole cycle of injuries, sackings and another transfer window to go so I really shouldn't be bothering myself with stuff like this just yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here