Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't like VAR, spoiling the flow and spontinaity of the game, better refs and linesmen are what's needed.

If they did something like the cricket I'd be happy, the technology's there and needs to be used.

For today's incident the goal was good . . . . It's what happened before at the free kick which was marginal . . . No one complained, no flag, so Play should have continued IMO. If you're going to start measuring pubes and leg hairs for offside and spend half an hour doing it we're doomed.

I agree, I am not a huge fan of VAR but I want the right decision made, I don't mind the odd mistake either, but the 3 officials were getting worse every week.
Even when they were standing in clear view of the offence and saw everything they still have the wrong decisions, it was getting ridiculous, almost bent.
Plus you had the bottlers who would never give a decision at certain grounds and then the homers who clearly were too scared to give decisions.
But I would happily replace VAR with far better officials.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Personally I hate the way it disrupts the game, the long delays while decisions are made and not being abke to celebrate a goal properly. I think that using technology to make real time decisions is fine if it prevents an obvious error, but take the view that if an incident needs to be checked several times to clarify what happended, it would be better to just trust the refs decision. Cancelling out goals for a tiny margin of offside invisible in real time is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Going to the football used to give you that live experience where being at the game you saw and understood more about what was happening. Not anymore just as well get out the armchair and watch the 20 replays of every decision.

VAR was a rubbish idea and is ruining the game. The obsession with every decision being perfect is a product of the pundit generation and football has forgotten the beauty of the game when it is played in its simplest form.

Another part of the game I love died for me today

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't like VAR, spoiling the flow and spontinaity of the game, better refs and linesmen are what's needed.

If they did something like the cricket I'd be happy, the technology's there and needs to be used.

For today's incident the goal was good . . . . It's what happened before at the free kick which was marginal . . . No one complained, no flag, so Play should have continued IMO. If you're going to start measuring pubes and leg hairs for offside and spend half an hour doing it we're doomed.
Been banging this (cricket style DRS) drum already, as have others.

One review per team per half. Ref allowed to review decisions if he's not sure. Everything else, leave it alone.

If you decide not to review and it was wrong, hard luck. If you've wasted your review, hard luck.

I'm in favour of VAR in principle, but the reviewing of every goal and the ridiculously borderline offside calls are undermining the positives of the system.

My position has nothing to do with today's game btw.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Okay, I have noticed that there are a lot of ***** acting so high and ****ing mighty acting as if they are 'proper football fans' and giving people shit for wanting VAR. Crawl out of your ****ing arses, just because people like decisions to be correct doesn't mean they don't like football.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's not sanitised, that's incredibly dramatic?

Besides, not EVERY goal will go to VAR. Only the controversial ones will... and out of the goals that are disallowed, the decision will surely be correct.

...and a lot of the time, we'll get to celebrate twice.

Every goal in the PL is checked by VAR.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

One review per team per half. Ref allowed to review decisions if he's not sure. Everything else, leave it alone.

If you decide not to review and it was wrong, hard luck. If you've wasted your review, hard luck.

I'm in favour of VAR in principle, but the reviewing of every goal and the ridiculously borderline offside calls are undermining the positives of the system.

I wouldn't even give refs the choice on their bad decision to be honest. They'll call absolutely everything.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I agree with this.

Doesn't Tennis have a limit to how many appeals you can make too?

I still think we should leave offsides for the naked eye. Even with technology, there's still situations var won't be able to confirm i.e. were they interfering with play? Was that the 2nd phase or 3rd phase of play? etc

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Penalties, Liverpool v Chelsea, Adrian saves, both feet off the line when the ball was kicked, human or VAR error? VAR is called by humans, humans make the decision. This NOT technology, this is humans deciding.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This was the first time I have ever tempered my reaction to an Albion goal and genuinely sat back down in my seat after the initial 'Yes' moment to wait for the VAR check as we all know every goal is checked. Most people around me obviously were jumping up and down and giving West Ham the bird. At least for me I didn't get too carried away but I did the same thing with the second one Trossard scored and then celebrated when it was clear it stood.

Really odd feeling not to celebrate a goal the instant it goes in, but I'm sure we'll all get used to it (even though I have never been in favour of it). For me I just don't think it's needed. Even if we are on the end of a bad ref's decision I have always accepted this and I love chatting in the pub in the evening about the ebbs and flows of the game - tonight I suspect VAR will be the main talking point, when for me it shouldn't be.

I was not too far away from being in line with Burn, and thought he was offside at the time. I celebrated the second/real/given one, because there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Yes. That wouldn’t be at all disruptive. Apart from when managers use their review to prevent the other team building momentum towards the back end of every single game.

And what happens if a Review has been used but the ref misses, for instance, a player punching the ball off the goal-line in stoppage time? If you’re not going to overturn that, you might as well not bother with the technology at all.

Offside is a problem. The rest - based on clear and obvious mistakes - seems to work pretty well so far. And has huge potential to prevent players from trying to cheat in the first place.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Was no before its introduction abroad, was no before its introduction over here and I firmly remain a solid no. Dreadful use of technology and hopefully it will go the same way as golden goal before it does too much damage.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Every goal is reviewed, even the obvious ones, they are reviewed in seconds as the players are celebrating but as there is nothing controversial, the ref gets a quick ok.
If there is controversy that is what takes the time as they look closely at it maybe 3 or 4 times.
But they get it right and that is what counts.
My piss is not boiling anywhere near as much tonight after the ruled out goal, because it was offside, as opposed to my piss boiling out of my Japs eye after we have had the most ridiculous decisions go against us by refs that were even given nicknames like shyster, refs we hated, refs we shit ourselves over because they had our next game and week after week of the most useless assistants and it was getting worse every season.
Match of the day was full of it and so was NSC.

I have a theory: those that are most vociferously moaning about VAR most vociferously moaned about pre-VAR incorrect deciisons. They're fond of moaning.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here