Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agreed, it's very odd, I think it is something to do with protecting the ref unless he makes a clear and obvious mistake, which of course he did, all very confusing.
Yesterday there was a mixture of VAR making totally the right decision and others like the Leicester v Spurs disallowed goal that was a millimetre off side.
I have gone from 60/40 in favour to 50/50.

But it was a millimetre offside.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Another weekend of questions really.

Something that disappoints me is that we hoped it would put a stop to diving, but it won't unless players are penalised. The dive yesterday by Alzate is a point in case - VAR checked it, and must have said to the ref 'no penalty'. Surely, they should be saying 'player dived' and he gets booked for it? Otherwise, all that's going to happen in players will continue diving because every now and then they'll get something given. Punish them every time - they'll soon stop.

I was wondering if VAR discourages diving. To be successful you have to con the ref and the VAR ref. I was thinking what’s the point in Alzate’s dive as even if he won a penalty it’d jut be overturned by VAR. Agree that if we want diving to stop allowing VAR to suggest yellow cards would help.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Well, there we are then, clearly and obviously... only a blind fool would have failed to see that.

VAR, leave our game alone. We don't need you.

And another in the Chelsea game - goal scored, celebrated and then anti-climax - totally killing the enjoyment of football.

Bin VAR or lose the fans - I have already given watching today's TV game -what is the point!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This isn’t football, I hate VAR with a true passion. Honestly I don’t enjoy watching football anywhere near as much as I once did. It’s just not the same anymore. The experience at the game is HORRIFIC and even neutral games it’s getting on my wick.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Completely changed this game, when in normal circumstances it would have been 1-1. Its almost inevitable that a deflated team concedes shortly afterwards like Spurs yesterday.

VAR is killing the beautiful game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But VAR authorities will not tell us how the cameras are calibrated ...so is there a camera on every millimetre of the pitch?...if NOT then they can’t make a decision based on millimetres!
But it was a millimetre offside.

I can understand offsides where they are clear of the last man. Or someone has hand balled it in like Henry did for France, but anything else is just shite!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rather than non-sense about daylight, or whining about how it's only a fraction offside, then suggesting a system that still allows for fractional offsides just with a different line (i.e. forget about their bodies, just judge where their feet are!), how about just getting rid of the graphics? The VAR has to judge, in the same way linos have done for decades simply with their eyesight. If they can tell a player is offside without the aid of onscreen graphics, then the player is offside. If he can't tell, if it's too close, the on-field decision stands. Yes, there will be inconsistencies where one VAR has more confidence that a player is offside, but that is an inconsistency I think most fans and players can live with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Something that disappoints me is that we hoped it would put a stop to diving, but it won't unless players are penalised. The dive yesterday by Alzate is a point in case - VAR checked it, and must have said to the ref 'no penalty'. Surely, they should be saying 'player dived' and he gets booked for it?
It should have been a yellow card, but VAR isn't supposed to interfere to give yellow cards.

Otherwise, all that's going to happen in players will continue diving because every now and then they'll get something given. Punish them every time - they'll soon stop.
If we'd been given a penalty, I'd imagine VAR would have said 'no'. Over time, that should mean fewer dives.

Not sure what the problem is there.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just another point, everyone wants to see goals in a game, VAR means there are fewer now. Goal line technology is perfect though, so I don't mind change if it improves the game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whining? You are a bit of a prick at times aren’t you? It’s all about opinions and yours is just as relevant as anyone else so stop it with the patronising twiddle.

Rather than non-sense about daylight, or whining about how it's only a fraction offside, then suggesting a system that still allows for fractional offsides just with a different line (i.e. forget about their bodies, just judge where their feet are!), how about just getting rid of the graphics? The VAR has to judge, in the same way linos have done for decades simply with their eyesight. If they can tell a player is offside without the aid of onscreen graphics, then the player is offside. If he can't tell, if it's too close, the on-field decision stands. Yes, there will be inconsistencies where one VAR has more confidence that a player is offside, but that is an inconsistency I think most fans and players can live with.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think the Spurs one yesterday was the worst yet. I was pro VAR but have fast gone off it with these ridiculously tight offsides being given and the refusal to overturn blatant decisions elsewhere on the pitch. In its current form it doesn't work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here