Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Excellent counter argument.

After 15 years as a home season ticket holder and 8 years of going to most away games, I’d like to respectfully disagree that “don’t get football”. I can’t be the 80’s forever, time for football to progress with technology.

VAR can only improve. It’s here. It’s staying. Time to embrace it.

Why feel the need to qualify what you have done? What on earth does that have to do with the VAR crap we are dished up with? How can it improve? Berating decisions is part of football folklore. We have lived and died by it for nearly a century and a half. Technology in this game has a threshold and it has been stepped over. It is bollocks, pure and simple.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
100% yes.

Was the correct decision, just like VAR ruling out Murray's handball v Watford was the correct decision.

Correct decisions being made by referees is a positive thing. How many points has shambolic refereeing in the past cost us - so I'm glad that we are to see a massive improvement in the quality of refereeing because of VAR.

Some days it will suit us, others it won't. Will just will take a bit of getting used to.

VAR did not 'rule out' Murray's handball. The ref had already decided it wasn't handball.

D

Deleted member 2719

Never been on the fence, before.

To early to decide yet, I might change my mind by Christmas.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm yes.

It'll even itself out over the season.

Today hurt but we'll love it when it goes our way.

My only criticism is that it's not clear when they're doing a check and when they aren't. For their goal it seemed there was no check despite it looking potentially offside. For our 2nd (1st?) there was a check.

That needs sorting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's not sanitised, that's incredibly dramatic?

Besides, not EVERY goal will go to VAR.

When will that rule (or law, whichever) come into effect then? It hasn't yet. They're all reviewed - some are just given the all-clear very quickly.

Sadly, what is happening at the moment is that they are automatically poring over their VAR screens to see iif they can disallow it - while doing nothing about behaviours - haranguing the referee, defenders cuddling an attacker at corners, etc..

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
VAR is shit.

It's turning a simple game into a high tech security operation.

What's the point in leaping from your chair in delight when you aren't sure it'll even be given?

Even Trossard's goal had me on edge over VAR. The only way VAR can used without killing the magic of a goal is if we only celebrate the VAR decision and how bloody crap would that be?!

This isn't modernising football. This is just making it less as exciting and more cynical in terms of the atmosphere

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Excellent counter argument.

After 15 years as a home season ticket holder and 8 years of going to most away games, I’d like to respectfully disagree that “don’t get football”. I can’t be the 80’s forever, time for football to progress with technology.

VAR can only improve. It’s here. It’s staying. Time to embrace it.

It's f***ed up football forever. The decision today was correct but I couldn't care less. Completely diminishes the best thing about being fan - the utter unabashed joy when your team scores a goal. Hate it hate it hate it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Anger at a correct decision < Anger at a wrong decision.

/Thread

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
VAR is shit.

What's the point in leaping from your chair in delight when you aren't sure it'll even be given?

Even Trossard's goal had me on edge over VAR. The only way VAR can used without killing the magic of a goal is if we only celebrate the VAR decision and how bloody crap would that be?!

This isn't modernising football. This is just making it less as exciting and more cynical in terms of the atmosphere

Much like Remain/Brexit I think us VAR haters aren't allowed a comment. I'm with you 100%.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
He's entitled to his opinion, and I'm a football fan for life and agree with him.

Some of us genuinely believe that more correct refereeing decisions will improve the game. To add to that many of us believe that the added drama improves the entertainment aspect too.

You sound like a an EPL fan who 'follows' a team there - My heart sank a little following this game from afar when I saw this one, will fans every properly celebrate a 'goal' properly again?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There's far too much money involved in football to leave decisions down to 3 men in black.

Why not do away with them and have all decisions made by a team watching video replays ?

Who's the wa**er watching the replay doesn't scan though :)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So long as the VAR decisions are correct then it has to be the way forward. With the pace and technicality of the game at this level 3 officials just can’t get the big decisions right all of the time, and our disallowed goal was the right decision, in other games it will go our way without a doubt.

As the officials get used to it and used to the systems the decisions will get quicker and cause less disruption to the game.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
100% yes.

Was the correct decision, just like VAR ruling out Murray's handball v Watford was the correct decision.

Correct decisions being made by referees is a positive thing. How many points has shambolic refereeing in the past cost us - so I'm glad that we are to see a massive improvement in the quality of refereeing because of VAR.

Some days it will suit us, others it won't. Will just will take a bit of getting used to.

Here to stay, but the offside rule needs changing so that VAR stops making such a contraversial impact.
Change the offside rule and I would remain pro-VAR. The stupid, millimetre measurements are just a waste of time and effort. Bodies overlap... Onside.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why not do away with them and have all decisions made by a team watching video replays ?

Who's the wa**er watching the replay doesn't scan though :)

I was thinking this during the match. No officials on the pitch and a horn goes off when a decision is given, it really isn't that far from reality. We've seen the decline in umpires decisions in cricket since VAR, and boy have they got some badly wrong recently, refs will just be the toyboy of VAR decisions in football. It is being sanitised and difficult to watch now.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
VAR is shit.

I was thinking that. Ball goes in, nobody reacts, everyone just stops and waits. Decision comes up on the screen, everyone celebrates that moment instead. :lolol:

Yeah that's crazy rubbish, but I am hopeful that some kind of middle ground can be found, where everyone can anticipate what needs waiting for and what doesn't (and hopefully the "waiting" moments are rarer). It will be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next couple of seasons.

You never know, maybe the long term result will be that players learn that they need to be much better at reading the line and offsides become less frequent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here