Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
According to the helpful notes in today's programme: "They will check for any infringements by the attacking team in the attacking possession phase that led to the goal."

So let's say that for the next 5 minutes we have the ball pinging about in there box and eventually score, do they go back 5 minutes to check if there was an infringement, if so is that 5 minutes added on at the end of the game?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why? Because it correctly identifies offside goals?

It was offside. VAR caught it. It sucked. One day we'll benefit.
No, because it shows, that much like our crowd, the players responses altered as they learned by painful experience that the second goal may be disallowed by var as was the first. As I said before, the joy is being drained from the game, it was almost instantaneous before var, the knowledge of whether a goal was a goal or not was identifiable within seconds. Now we are left with this horrible halfway house.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
So let's say that for the next 5 minutes we have the ball pinging about in there box and eventually score, do they go back 5 minutes to check if there was an infringement, if so is that 5 minutes added on at the end of the game?

The commentators spoke of that when the ball went out but West Ham kept possession and play continued. Something about if a goal had been scored in the same phase of play

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
VAR killed The Amex - crowd and players - after that was overturned in the first half today and having just watched Laporte's 'handball' in the pub just now - this is just total and utter ****. That's the there 'The English Premier League' is it?! Ruined bulll**** more like.

This.

Such beautiful football today but I feel like I’ve been totally cheated (yes, I know I haven’t in reality).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No, because it shows, that much like our crowd, the players responses altered as they learned by painful experience that the second goal may be disallowed by var as was the first. As I said before, the joy is being drained from the game, it was almost instantaneous before var, the knowledge of whether a goal was a goal or not was identifiable within seconds. Now we are left with this horrible halfway house.

I see your point but I just don't think it will be a problem.

After an initial rallying from West Ham they continued being shit until our well drilled defence momentarily switched off. Then we were back on top. And we had, what?, three or four essentially open goals over the course of the game. One or two of those go in and this entire debate doesn't even happen.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Oh bollocks off.

How about a sumptuous volley being scored, nothing coming up on the big screen, unbridled celebrations in the stands, and then just as the teams are lining up for the restart a minute or so later, THEN the big screen declares a review....and its chalked off.

It might be fine and dandy from an armchair, but thats not what I go to a stadium for. Whether the decision is ultimately correct or not, you can stick that RIGHT up your arse mate.

Completely agree. Maybe its all a ruse to encourage us to stay at home and subscribe to the Satellite broadcasters and watch football only from our armchairs?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trossard’s first goal being ruled out was crushing. That hurt a lot seeing all that unbridled joy get flushed down the toilet.

I was in the yes camp, but I think it goes too far. Now on the fence.

Perhaps the review system like cricket would be a better way of doing it?

You've beaten me to the weekly VAR poll post. Not sure when this is timing out but the issue if it's not got a timeout on is that you can only vote once, thus not allowing for changed views in the season.

Last week's VAR poll was a big, fat NO and that was really based on West Ham v City than anything that happened in our game. Having seen how it can chalk off a goal for something utterly irrelelvant (but technically contravening the laws), suck the entire joy out of an afternoon (we all talked about VAR more than any other element of the game) and be celebrated in song by by backwards cockneys desperate for something to cheer given that they're paying Jack Wilshire actual money to mug them off, I want the thing banned for ever more.

There needs to be a populist fans uprising against it and it needs to involve former player pundits and celebs and it needs to happen now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION].

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
You obviously don't like football

I don’t like it when Brighton lose unfairly.

Remember Cardiff away last season? That was a long coach journey home to swallow the offside winner. Bamber didn’t even get booked for taking his shirt off!

The quality of Referring will never be absolutely perfect. VAR is therefore needed. Look what it has done for other sports!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You've beaten me to the weekly VAR poll post. Not sure when this is timing out but the issue if it's not got a timeout on is that you can only vote once, thus not allowing for changed views in the season.

Last week's VAR poll was a big, fat NO and that was really based on West Ham v City than anything that happened in our game. Having seen how it can chalk off a goal for something utterly irrelelvant (but technically contravening the laws), suck the entire joy out of an afternoon (we all talked about VAR more than any other element of the game) and be celebrated in song by by backwards cockneys desperate for something to cheer given that they're paying Jack Wilshire actual money to mug them off, I want the thing banned for ever more.

There needs to be a populist fans uprising against it and it needs to involve former player pundits and celebs and it needs to happen now.

I can think of better, and more necessary, revolutions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mate, they took over a minute to rule our goal out in the first half and then added on less than a minute to the playing time. It's a f***ing piss take.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I’d still rather see defending teams have maybe 1 or 2 reviews each half, losing an appeal if review goes against them. But as long as VAR is consistent then I think it will genuinely even itself out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Always been against VAR - hate it more today, and no doubt I'll hate it even more next time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Although I'm 60/40 in favour my head is ok because it certainly does not add to the drama, but how come it does seem to with cricket and rugby.
Why is it so different with football?
Those sports by nature, are less spontaneous. It's why I love football. I like cricket a lot, but it's relaxing to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here