Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have a theory: those that are most vociferously moaning about VAR most vociferously moaned about pre-VAR incorrect deciisons. They're fond of moaning.

I think it is the other way round. Those supporting var are people who moaned the most when a ref got it wrong. They are the types who think everything has to be just right and can't cope with human error. They also don't appreciate artistry and the spirit of the moment, which var is surely killing.

Last edited:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Both cricket and rugby are played at a slower speed with less emotion. Look I’m out, enjoy your VAR but for me it’s ****ed my enjoyment and before you all jump on, I love cricket and international rugby. It’s ruined football for me, that’s all.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Did anyone genuinely NOT jump for joy today when Trossard equalised? I find it very hard to believe it spoilt the moment that much. Certainly didn’t for me.

The stricter handball law surrounding goals that Man City have just fallen foul of (like Wolves last week) is a much bigger problem than VAR I think.

Yes - me. After the first one being ruled out, I learn't my lesson and after initially standing up and punching the air, I sat down again to wait for confirmation. Normally I'd be jumping all over the people next to me. Maybe they are grateful we now have VAR as I didn't infringe on their space today!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Rules are rules and football rules are shit. How do we know... because VAR is showing us we have no idea about offside or handball. For the first time in 50 years the rules are being questioned. VAR is great... it's the rules that need changing.

p.s. Hated Trossards goal being chalked off but it was the right decision.

I’m with you. The handball law has become ridiculous and offside needs some leeway now it can be measured so accurately (although I thought Burn looked pretty well offside today on the very first replay, so that was just the lino being a bit crap).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Did anyone genuinely NOT jump for joy today when Trossard equalised? I find it very hard to believe it spoilt the moment that much. Certainly didn’t for me.

The stricter handball law surrounding goals that Man City have just fallen foul of (like Wolves last week) is a much bigger problem than VAR I think.

Jumped for joy, then stopped when I thought of var and sure enough there was the joy-draining moment when it was being checked. It is rubbish.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes - me. After the first one being ruled out, I learn't my lesson and after initially standing up and punching the air, I sat down again to wait for confirmation. Normally I'd be jumping all over the people next to me. Maybe they are grateful we now have VAR as I didn't infringe on their space today!

Fair enough. As there was clearly nothing wrong with it and no chance of it being offside, I just got on with celebrating - same as usual. Marginal ones might be different.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Yep, same here. Definitely less celebrated than before. And the one that Trossard missed before that I didn't even get excited as there looked to have been an offside in the lead up to it so I was sure it would have been ruled out anyway (rightly or wrongly).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trossard’s first goal being ruled out was crushing. That hurt a lot seeing all that unbridled joy get flushed down the toilet.

I was in the yes camp, but I think it goes too far. Now on the fence.

Perhaps the review system like cricket would be a better way of doing it?

I too sat crushed for a while. The decision was correct, though. A few around me in West Upper got a bit shouty about VAR. I thought that was a bit pathetic, actually. Rather like the mugs who berated black players in the 70s if they fluffed a chance. We'll get used to it, just like we got used to seat belts and not smoking in the pub before having a skinful and driving home :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Try doing the same poll after a VAR decision goes our way :wink:

:lolol:

Some people have a breathtaking lack of introspection. Their blood testosterone levels must be through the roof. Its their poor coronary arteries I pity.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its just annoying that such minimal margins for a goal (offside) being picked up by a computer. Im not saying it because of today, its just its so minimal in the first place it takes a computer picking up a hair or a players ponytail flicking offside at the wrong moment is a joke, its a negative for me.

Did you have the same response to goal line technology too? Were you annoyed when Gross scored the goal to beat United, and keep us in the PL?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Did you have the same response to goal line technology too? Were you annoyed when Gross scored the goal to beat United, and keep us in the PL?

Goal line tech is almost 100% accurate, I cannot see how offside can be as it doesn't categorically show when the ball is played forward.

Re Man City, how can a hand ball decision be different for an attacking team compared to a defending team. Had the same ball brushed a Spurs player it wouldn't have been a penalty so how can it be a free kick the other way around.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

A goal is either in or not. An offside is either offside or not but is far harder to judge accurately imo. Also some posts have mentioned the question of how far back infringements are looked at and cited the challenge on Stephens as a foul. You can bet that var didn't review that. Where does it all end?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Rules are rules. Get used to it and stop whining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here