Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Again - the whole purpose of VAR has to be called into question when it allows Villa's equaliser to be ruled out in that fashion. What is VAR for??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Again - the whole purpose of VAR has to be called into question when it allows Villa's equaliser to be ruled out in that fashion. What is VAR for??
Anyone got a link to it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
https://youtu.be/FOfzG_SXOeo

2.21 on

Grealish goes down, ball goes through to other player who finishes. The whistle had gone for a dive and Grealish was booked for diving (not for me Clive - though it did look like he was going to dive before the palace player actually clattered his legs).
Looks like a dive to me. Grealish plants his left leg, and has no intention of ever moving it again. Serves him right.

Given the opposition, I obviously wish the goal stood, but it does look like a dive to me. If I'm wrong, it certainly doesn't look like a dreadful decision by Friend.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Looks like a dive to me. Grealish plants his left leg, and has no intention of ever moving it again. Serves him right.

Given the opposition, I obviously wish the goal stood, but it does look like a dive to me. If I'm wrong, it certainly doesn't look like a dreadful decision by Friend.

Looks like a push in the back from our mate Zaha that knocked him off balance and started the stumble.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looks like a push in the back from our mate Zaha that knocked him off balance and started the stumble.
Yes I think it was a foul outside the box. Does that mean he's then allowed a free dive when inside the box?

I guess when Zaha touched him, Grealish got infected with the diving bug.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just can’t understand why Tielemans ankle breaker on Wilson was not given a VAR retro-red. Much worse than Andone’s shocker.

VAR is so ****ing shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I just can’t understand why Tielemans ankle breaker on Wilson was not given a VAR retro-red. Much worse than Andone’s shocker.

VAR is so ****ing shit.

Pointless comparing to Andone tackle but still it was a straight red and surely that is the proper situation for VAR to be used. Also farcical that it was not used to give west ham a nailed on penalty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Watching Sunday Supplement, Matt Law and Martin Samuel were in agreement with something I cut out of my post above - the Grealish incident wasn't about VAR. It was just a bad referee decision. He's pushed in the back by Zaha, stumbles, plays the ball and his momentum means he's still moving forward as Cahill connects with his legs (Cahill was seen rubbing his knee afterward). Not a dive (don't think it was a penalty either, but he was still playing the ball as he was falling so to me his focus wasn't on going down to cheat the ref).

Because Friend blew for the dive, play stopped at that moment. The ball going in the goal is irrelevant, the only way VAR would get involved is if there is a penalty, and if the ref says 'Grealish was going to ground before Cahill kicks him' all the VAR is permitted to do is look at the video and see that Grealish is falling before Cahill kicks him and the decision would stand.

The suggestion was that he should have let play go, then get the VAR to have a look for a dive when checking the goal.

I cut it out of my post because there is the argument that it's a flaw in the VAR system because it isn't reviewable

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Watching Sunday Supplement, Matt Law and Martin Samuel were in agreement with something I cut out of my post above - the Grealish incident wasn't about VAR. It was just a bad referee decision. He's pushed in the back by Zaha, stumbles, plays the ball and his momentum means he's still moving forward as Cahill connects with his legs (Cahill was seen rubbing his knee afterward). Not a dive (don't think it was a penalty either, but he was still playing the ball as he was falling so to me his focus wasn't on going down to cheat the ref).

Because Friend blew for the dive, play stopped at that moment. The ball going in the goal is irrelevant, the only way VAR would get involved is if there is a penalty, and if the ref says 'Grealish was going to ground before Cahill kicks him' all the VAR is permitted to do is look at the video and see that Grealish is falling before Cahill kicks him and the decision would stand.

The suggestion was that he should have let play go, then get the VAR to have a look for a dive when checking the goal.

I cut it out of my post because there is the argument that it's a flaw in the VAR system because it isn't reviewable

It’s VAR’s fault for being so hopelessly complicated and difficult to understand how and when it can or can’t be applied. Agree it’s an absolutely shocking refereeing decision, totally idiotic, BUT, you reap what you so, footballers are constantly trying to deceive referees making it so difficult for them to tell the difference. In this case he should have though.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
https://youtu.be/FOfzG_SXOeo

2.21 on

Grealish goes down, ball goes through to other player who finishes. The whistle had gone for a dive and Grealish was booked for diving (not for me Clive - though it did look like he was going to dive before the palace player actually clattered his legs).

Nothing to do with VAR. No way could allow goal after blowing for a previous offence. Right or wrong opinion of dive was down to ref who was in far better position then looking at a screen

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nothing to do with VAR. No way could allow goal after blowing for a previous offence. Right or wrong opinion of dive was down to ref who was in far better position then looking at a screen

Yup. As I mentioned later in the thread:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Nothing to do with VAR. Impossible to goal if already blown for offence

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Another weekend of questions really.

Something that disappoints me is that we hoped it would put a stop to diving, but it won't unless players are penalised. The dive yesterday by Alzate is a point in case - VAR checked it, and must have said to the ref 'no penalty'. Surely, they should be saying 'player dived' and he gets booked for it? Otherwise, all that's going to happen in players will continue diving because every now and then they'll get something given. Punish them every time - they'll soon stop.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Still don't understand why VAR is not picking up things like the blatant penalty in the Burnley game.

Agreed, it's very odd, I think it is something to do with protecting the ref unless he makes a clear and obvious mistake, which of course he did, all very confusing.
Yesterday there was a mixture of VAR making totally the right decision and others like the Leicester v Spurs disallowed goal that was a millimetre off side.
I have gone from 60/40 in favour to 50/50.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here