Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can't believe this VAR on Wolves' goal... awaiting decision.

Edit: Two mins later... given.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just watching the Wolves game, they scored and was reviewed for offside but the VAR picture on the screen showed the ball at the feet of the player receiving the pass not the feet of the player making the pass. Goal was given though, eventually, great goal as well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just watching the Wolves game, they scored and was reviewed for offside but the VAR picture on the screen showed the ball at the feet of the player receiving the pass not the feet of the player making the pass. Goal was given though, eventually, great goal as well.

Utd’s defence looking as brittle as ever

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I am in favour in principle, but it needs vast improvement. Faster, and more information in the stadium.

I want them to keep it, but evolve it to make it better.

Just my personal view, I like to know a decision is correct and I don't mind sacrificing some immediate certainty for that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What struck me about that Wolves goal review is that we saw the video of the lines being placed, the one for the ball was set, then we see the one for the player against whom the offside was being checked. It was quite clear that he was on side, as that line was being placed. Then his line was set. Did the ref blow the whistle? No. We had to wait for the two lines to be coloured in, before the ok was given.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What struck me about that Wolves goal review is that we saw the video of the lines being placed, the one for the ball was set, then we see the one for the player against whom the offside was being checked. It was quite clear that he was on side, as that line was being placed. Then his line was set. Did the ref blow the whistle? No. We had to wait for the two lines to be coloured in, before the ok was given.

Was this video a stream from the actual checkers? I assumed it was Sky Sports faffing around.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am in favour in principle, but it needs vast improvement. Faster, and more information in the stadium.

Just my personal view, I like to know a decision is correct and I don't mind sacrificing some immediate certainty for that.

But you don’t know it is correct. VAR does not give that kind of accuracy because it is not possible to measure unambiguously when the ball leaves the passer’s foot. Micro milliseconds make all the difference if we are looking for ‘correct.’ What an incredible thing we are debating about the ‘beautiful game.’

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, we are not. But don't ever criticise a refereeing/lino decision. They have to make decisions in split seconds with imperfect knowledge and will continue to do so; VAR offers a check against that imperfection. As other posters on this thread have pointed out, you can't have it both ways.

I'd have it the way it used to be thanks, I've always been dubious of VAR. Criticising the ref / lino was always part of the game, but although there would be the odd frustration, we all accepted the odd duff call, because of exactly what you said - they had to make split-second decisions after having ONE look at it. Now VAR is involved, and we're still getting duff decisions, because its still just down to a human looking at a review and interpreting it. We're striving for an unattainable perfection now in a game of chaos.

And the cost of it is delays, interruptions, game time lost that never seems to be given back, and the diminishing enjoyment of a goal rush because you know in a minute or two, it could be binned off because of someones knee being a deemed a millimetre offside, or some inconsequential invisible "foul" that nobody else in the stadium even noticed. That Man City goal they rubbed off other day being a case in point.

Its so, so poor.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
But you don’t know it is correct. VAR does not give that kind of accuracy because it is not possible to measure unambiguously when the ball leaves the passer’s foot. Micro milliseconds make all the difference if we are looking for ‘correct.’ What an incredible thing we are debating about the ‘beautiful game.’

True. I don't feel so strongly about offside, as long as the tolerance is, say, less than a foot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really? Try the sending off of Stephens thread for 'accepted the odd duff call'. There's plenty more where that came from.

Look, we can all sit here and pick over some shit decisions down the years, it was just part of the game. You seem to think VAR will solve all the controversies. Well all its done is ship in a whole raft of new ones, and has fundamentally changed the way we watch football forever. And NOT in a good way.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I can kind of get it why people want it, but in this current format it is a total car crash. It should be written off and restarted with clear and verifiable rules. I'm sorry but the Trossard goal disallowed and the Wolves goal tonight are an absolute farce and go totally against what football is all about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the VAR fans must be mostly made up of the X-Box / PS4 FIFA generation, who are already used to seeing football as a computer game, with a computerised referee, and vector graphic lines drawn across the screen to sort offsides out.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I think the VAR fans must be mostly made up of the X-Box / PS4 FIFA generation, who are already used to seeing football as a computer game, with a computerised referee, and vector graphic lines drawn across the screen to sort offsides out.

Yep and most don’t go to games

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I might have jumped around and gone mental when the opposition have had a goal chalked off but I'm struggling to think of when. The feeling of relief is in no way comparable on the scale to the one of joy when you're team goes 1-0 up.

When the Palace injury-time ‘equaliser’ was flagged offside, in the 1-0 McShane game, there were celebrations worthy of any Albion goal!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You seem to think VAR will solve all the controversies.

I don't; I agree its introduction has caused problems. Good point made on Sky commentary this evening that VAR has taken away more than it has given. Tonight a Man U player was flagged offside marginally near end of game and Martial stopped from crossing from a promising position. That isn't equitable: Man U should have had the chance to complete the move in case it wasn't offside, as they would have done had lino kept flag down. Good point on another thread that VAR doesn't even consider shirt pulling in penalty area, which is something it easily could as refs cannot be expected to see everything at corners.

I will confess to being a bit of a devil's advocate; what I am against is jumping on the anti VAR bandwagon on the basis of one incident, especially as it was proved to be correct. VAR is not right; there I have said it. But we have to accept it isn't going away; and that it will affect the way we celebrate goals. I suspect the cure will be seen to be more of the dodgy medicine, as VAR influence grows (why not use it for to look for shirt pulling in box at corners, for example?). If it ruins the spectacle as much as many posters claim, perhaps the season ticket waiting list will suddenly reduce dramatically, but I rather doubt it....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here