Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think both disallowed goals wouldn't have stood VAR or not.

Last season they would have been disallowed straightway as they were obviously offside and/or a foul.

It should be the same with VAR.

Dunk scores, 2/3 second celebration, ref says no goal, VAR checks, VAR confirms.

I agree. Think I said similar on another thread. I believe linesmen/women have been told to keep their flag down when it's marginal but Burn's offence was glaringly obvious on Saturday and reasonably clear last week. It looks to me like they're already getting lazy and basically not making a decision (or at least keeping it to themselves) leading to confusion and unnecessary delays. An immediate offside flag in both those situations would have meant no unrest. I suppose the problem is that a quick offside flag only works in the defending team's favour as, once it's raised, there's an immediate effect on what happens next, no matter how much players are told to wait for a whistle.

Both goals clearly should not have stood. Still staggered this is even a discussion, never mind 78 pages

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Both goals clearly should not have stood. Still staggered this is even a discussion, never mind 78 pages

Because neither decision warranted the delay of a VAR review both could/should have been made by the on pitch officials to prevent the confusion being caused in the ground. This is not about correctness of decision it is about the experience of the people paying to watch the live experience

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I actually thought Dan Burn was infringing as well as being offside, could have taken either decision. Clear cut for the ref and lino, but the monster in Uxbridge had to make sure... 2 minutes later...

Because neither decision warranted the delay of a VAR review both could/should have been made by the on pitch officials to prevent the confusion being caused in the ground. This is not about correctness of decision it is about the experience of the people paying to watch the live experience

I think that's pushing it really. The Hammers Burn offside was marginal and would have been missed by many linos. You'd be suprised how much the live experience is improved by your team not conceding wrong goals, by the way. But have the courage to make your case on here the moment after VAR saves us

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think that's pushing it really. The Hammers Burn offside was marginal and would have been missed by many linos. You'd be suprised how much the live experience is improved by your team not conceding wrong goals, by the way. But have the courage to make your case on here the moment after VAR saves us

c3d801aaca9313dbd7715dee947c4d21.jpg

Don’t worry I will be on here throughout the season it’s a ridiculous system sucking the atmosphere out of the live game. We are now at a point where officials needs technology to decide on incidents like this.

And that is progress is it?

Yes, if we get better decisions. It's an irrefutable case. Sorry if you were celebrating the Dunk "goal" but looking at the player reaction should have calmed you down. There was no loss of live experience on Saturday (there arguably was for the Trossard "goal")

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

So you are not an advocate of the human decision?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Yes, if we get better decisions. It's an irrefutable case. Sorry if you were celebrating the Dunk "goal" but looking at the player reaction should have calmed you down. There was no loss of live experience on Saturday (there arguably was for the Trossard "goal")

I used to look over the the linesman and get an instant decision now I have to wait 2-3 minutes for someone with a TV to confirm the type of decision that frankly VAR should never be used for. The Trossard one was a dead ball which the linesman was level with if they can’t call an offside from that position then not much hope is there.

This was sold as use for clear and obvious error now we have every goal under review and even obvious penalties not being given despite review (see Man City and spurs games)

It’s a flawed system which still breathes inconsistency as ultimately even after review it is down to someone’s interpretation of what they have seen

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I used to look over the the linesman and get an instant decision now I have to wait 2-3 minutes for someone with a TV to confirm the type of decision that frankly VAR should never be used for. The Trossard one was a dead ball which the linesman was level with if they can’t call an offside from that position then not much hope is there.

This was sold as use for clear and obvious error now we have every goal under review and even obvious penalties not being given despite review (see Man City and spurs games)

It’s a flawed system which still breathes inconsistency as ultimately even after review it is down to someone’s interpretation of that they have seen

And would that useless ref given us a pen for handball last season? Possibly. This season? Absolutely not. FIFA killing football since the 20s.

By the way, totally agree with your comments.

It’s a flawed system which still breathes inconsistency as ultimately even after review it is down to someone’s interpretation of what they have seen

In a contact game where laws allow for some interpretation re. physical contact, there will always be inconsistency - the point is to reduce it as much as possible so the actual team playing the better football prospers. Hopefully, that will occasionally be Brighton

I don't understand how you have been a football follower then.

The clue lies in not having the assumption that one's owns prejudices and world view is shared by everyone else?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In a contact game where laws allow for some interpretation re. physical contact, there will always be inconsistency - the point is to reduce it as much as possible so the actual team playing the better football prospers. Hopefully, that will occasionally be Brighton

I really don't get your argument, I assume you have followed football for many years? But you insist this is a better system than the 150 years of the game previously being played? What did you do before VAR? Yes, the same as all of us, call a bad decision. But we carried on to the next game, as all divisions throughout the country do other than the PL. Human error has to be part of this sport. Andone made a human error. Burn made a human error. The shyster made an error (v Boro). We get on with it without the interference from some geezer in Uxbridge. This is not a good technology for football, it is totally flawed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
VAR is leading us down the American Football path of stop start games...maybe we will get adverts slotted in whilst we are waiting for the VAR decisions?,

When was this golden age of which you speak? Things have always evolved. Did you kick off when subs were allowed the first time? Or when they stopped the goalie taking back passes? When they started preparing decent all-weather pitches?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When was this golden age of which you speak? Things have always evolved. Did you kick off when subs were allowed the first time? Or when they stopped the goalie taking back passes? When they started preparing decent all-weather pitches?

I could ask you the same question, who spoke of 'golden ages' other than you?

Have you noticed your arguments are non technology?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was as gutted as any Albion fan over our disallowed goals, but imho VAR’s fine, except for the length of time taken to reach a conclusion.

VAR helped prevent Spuds gaining yesterday from a series of simulations (eg Rose ... as astonishing dive), or attackers making a beeline in running into a defender.

Over time players with any intelligence will cut out snide violence, diving and other forms of cheating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here