Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you fly on this airline?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've been hooked on the PC game Transport Fever for a few weeks now and I just zoomed in to admire my handiwork when I saw this billboard.

transport.png

Given that is a game by German developers - it seems a bit random. I am actually playing on a map of the South East and, believe it or not, this is in Burgess Hill in the game. I don't know if part of the map download is pre customised billboards but the thought of Concorde on this airline made me smile.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Read mixed reviews on this. Is it any good?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I play Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, (its free and my stone dead GPU likes it) really recommend it for anyone who is into these sorts of games.

And to answer the question: airline company that uses cheap 90s 3D on their advertisements rented in the outskirts of some suburb + use the Concorde? Of course. What could go wrong.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Read mixed reviews on this. Is it any good?
You really need to put time into it. It is basically a modern Transport Tycoon but with a few quirks. Basically, the tutorials aren't much good and people give up because it doesn't seem to work. As with other games, there are industries that you need to interlink. What it doesn't tell you is if you collect coal but don't take it to a steel mill, it won't produce coal. If you take it to a steel mill but don't take the steel to a factory, it will produce coal but not steel. But it doesn't tell you this and you get frustrated because it doesn't work. I played my girlfriend's version through the Steam family thingy and did exactly this - got fed up of it not working.

Then YouTube suggested a guy who does videos on it - I watched one and have now watched dozens. Mainly because he is quite sardonic and shares my sense of humour. Colonel Failure if you want to look him up. Once you see someone playing it properly then you get it and if it is your kind of game, you will love it. I completed all of the missions which as with the tutorial aren't great. The seem to get easier rather than harder. Then I played a couple of sandbox games using the base game. Now I have shed loads of mods and costs turned off and am basically playing a train set / city builder.

It is quite cheap now the second one is due soon so if it is your kind of game, give some videos a watch. Obviously a niche market and I haven't played sim games for years but find it nice and relaxing just watching the towns grow as you link them up.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I play Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, (its free and my stone dead GPU likes it) really recommend it for anyone who is into these sorts of games.

And to answer the question: airline company that uses cheap 90s 3D on their advertisements rented in the outskirts of some suburb + use the Concorde? Of course. What could go wrong.
I did try that and you are right, it will work on an old machine. But just found it a bit slow compared to this. Obviously this is the open source version of the granddaddy of this genre and will certainly scratch an itch for nostalgia. I miss the original midi music though - don't like the modern versions they use.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Actually just realised that when I gave Brighton an airport in the game, I pretty much chose Southwick. :) It flies to Hastings.:lolol: Because it is a custom map, this is one side of the map to the other but still. Shame the game doesn't have monorails as I would hook up the Amex straight away.

View attachment 114372

D

Deleted member 22389

That game has been knocking around for years. It was one of only a handful of games available on Linux years ago too, including tix racer. Might have to look at it some time.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've got somewhere close to 400 hours into TpF. One of my favourite games to keep going back to.

Another YouTuber I'd recommend is SlimGaming. Quite dry delivery, but his detailing is amazing.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've got somewhere close to 400 hours into TpF. One of my favourite games to keep going back to.

Another YouTuber I'd recommend is SlimGaming. Quite dry delivery, but his detailing is amazing.
I did watch a couple of detailing videos but that isn't really my thing. Basically model train sets so I can see the appeal but I prefer the logistics planning side.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I did watch a couple of detailing videos but that isn't really my thing. Basically model train sets so I can see the appeal but I prefer the logistics planning side.
Slim may still be worth a watch. I've seen him build some great routes, not quite as good as the Colonel's helix, but still impressive.

Many A True Nerd recently done a stream as well. Watching a relative noob play was interesting.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Slim may still be worth a watch. I've seen him build some great routes, not quite as good as the Colonel's helix, but still impressive.

Many A True Nerd recently done a stream as well. Watching a relative noob play was interesting.

Might give it a go but my Youtube list is building and I end up begrudging paying Sky and not using them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here