Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The return of capital punishment?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Only nowadays the tender would be picked up by Serco or Capita who would be paid a handsome amount of money for giving miscreants the chance to associate with like minded individuals and be well schooled in the dark arts of the use of weapons,combat and crime ! Great for the shareholders, not so good for joe public.

Quite right I guess. Back in the day detention centers and borstals were staffed by ex military and police.Sure crooks met other crooks but in the open Bortsals a lot of good work was done for those on the fringes of crime. The harsher ones punished by regulation, routine and forced education, back then of course!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nothing wrong with National Service and Borstals IMO

Nothing wrong with top hats, adding up on an abacus, cycling round town on a penny farthing, caning seven year olds for talking back to the teacher (sorry, actually there is something wrong with that unless you're a masochist nonce) or driving round in a Ford Cortina. All are about as relevant.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Nothing wrong with top hats, adding up on an abacus, cycling round town on a penny farthing, caning seven year olds for talking back to the teacher (sorry, actually there is something wrong with that unless you're a masochist nonce) or driving round in a Ford Cortina. All are about as relevant.

No there isn't anything wrong with it IMO. Have yours it doesn't bother me much.

Ps who said anything about canning seven year olds you sick ***k!

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
With respect, you are missing the point. I did not claim that it does not work, and the fact that murders do take place, clearly shows that the fear of the death penalty is not a deterrent for some. I agree. But what we do not know is how many are put off by the thought that if they murder someone, however much they might want to, they will be hanged or whatever. You are a teacher, as I was. You know full well that the punishment that you give to one child has a duel function - punishment of that child, and a lesson to others not to go down the same avenue. What you don't know is how many might have been tempted, but that public censure is your attempt to nip it in the bud. The principle is the same.

There is no way of measuring what hypothetical crime might be have been prevented because of capital punishment. It is impossible to measure. What we can measure however is the data we do have. As I said before, states in the US with the death penalty have higher murder rates than states that don’t. This indicates that the punishment is not deterring criminals, a view shared by most criminologists. And as a teacher, I’m more interested in the cause of misdemeanours than what harsh punishment I can inflict. Prevention is far more effective than harsh punishments.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
No one denies that they have a problem with guns, as we have a problem with knife crime, but your ridiculously wild description just writes off so much good that the Americans have to offer. I am pretty certain that 250,000,000 Americans would not describe their country as you seem to expertly see it from 3000 miles away. Presumably after the murders that we have seen these last few days here, your description of this country would be the same?

Yes, knife crime has increased this side of the pond but are you seriously comparing the two?

Donald T did but he's a bit of a .....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
With another Policeman murdered in the line of duty if there was a referendum to bring back the death penalty, would this country vote to bring back hanging for certain crimes, killing of police officers, children, terrorist offences etc?

And would the pro hanging lobby also campaign for retrospective death sentences?

The names of Ian Huntley and Roy Whiting spring to mind.

With our society turning more and more away from killing animals, (even for food) i think it's more likely our society will start to get offended by, and therefore turn against the brutal killing of vegetables for food, (in the same way we are starting to turn against meat consumption) rather than ever bringing back capital punishment.

These poor defenseless vegetables which are often killed when they've reached their prime don't receive any humane treatment prior to their 'harvesting' to prevent their suffering, instead as they are just cruelly removed from their natural environment by machinery (in most cases) and then left to wither and die slowly, or exposed to very low temperatures to freeze them when they are still alive - just to meet our nutritional needs without a single thought towards how scared they will be or how much they will suffer after being 'picked' or how their seeing other vegetables being picked before them will make them feel (highly stressed no doubt)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Studies in the US have found much lower levels of re-offending by murderers who are executed compared to those who serve prison sentences.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In order to vote for the death penalty I would need to be convinced of a few things.

1. That said action was an effective deterrent to the crimes of which they are a punishment and that there are not other, more effective ways to reduce said crime.

2. That the judicial system could not or does not make mistakes. To this end we would need a discussion on how guilt can be 100% proven.

3. That the death penalty is an effective method of giving the victims and loved ones of victims the healing they need to move on.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Personally I would be against capital punishment for the simple reason mistakes are made and before anyone makes a decision about itpunishment you should read "The Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and How It's Broken"! The state of the criminal justice system will really scare you!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, no and thrice no. For starters I don't trust the police not to make 'mistakes' - either by design or by accident. Then to put someone's life in the hands of 12 random people plucked from society .... errr .... hello ..... utter madness.

If we still had it Colin Stagg would have been killed. Tony Martin would have been dead before his offence could have been downgraded to manslaughter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here