Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] BTEC results question

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Yesterday being A Level results day, we were anticipating the BTEC Level 3 results being announced, but the 6th form college didn't know what the results were and suggested calling UCAS or 'the university'.

After a few hours of phone calls, it turns out that pretty much no-one on the course has got their results because the coursework was not completed. The head of department is away but might be contactable next week. We were counting on getting the required grades for a University offer and had been told that all the coursework had been finished and submitted.

Does anyone know what happens next? Can you amend coursework for a BTEC qualification at such a late stage? The college didn't know this, but said it was quite normal. The whole 2-year course has been a shambles, with the year 1 tutor going AWOL so they had to do the whole 2 years work in year 2.

Can a grade be adjusted at such a late stage, or will we just have to say goodbye to a very good university offer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Have you confused Facebook for NSC? :moo:

In all honesty you might need to share some context such as what college etc for people to help

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yesterday being A Level results day, we were anticipating the BTEC Level 3 results being announced, but the 6th form college didn't know what the results were and suggested calling UCAS or 'the university'.

After a few hours of phone calls, it turns out that pretty much no-one on the course has got their results because the coursework was not completed. The head of department is away but might be contactable next week. We were counting on getting the required grades for a University offer and had been told that all the coursework had been finished and submitted.

Does anyone know what happens next? Can you amend coursework for a BTEC qualification at such a late stage? The college didn't know this, but said it was quite normal. The whole 2-year course has been a shambles, with the year 1 tutor going AWOL so they had to do the whole 2 years work in year 2.

Can a grade be adjusted at such a late stage, or will we just have to say goodbye to a very good university offer?

IIRC my son got his BTEC results before his A level results last year.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Yes, I have heard that. I think it depends on the college, whether the qualification is coursework-based or exam-based, and whether they have the capacity to display results online.

Nobby's Whiskers

Feb 2, 2009
BTEC is run by EdExcel (a Pearson company) and is notoriously inefficient, but you might try contacting them direct? They should issue certificates around now, so surely must know your marks, but be prepared to be passed around from pillar to post. As you've discovered, teaching staff may have booked holiday, though Northbrook have scrapped the compulsory summer break.

It's been a while since I taught BTEC, but as I recall most of the units are assessed internally and the grades submitted around May/early June. BTEC then requests a sample of coursework from several random students - if they are happy with the teacher's grades then the marks are upheld otherwise the whole lot gets sent off, which can delay things considerably but still should have been completed long before the end of summer term.

The BTEC rules are horribly convoluted and most of our local Colleges are so cash-strapped they have forced out all the experienced, qualified staff who knew what they were doing. If their cheap replacements get it wrong (increasingly common) then results can be invalidated. You can't normally submit any more work in yr2 past the deadline and have to retake the year, but maybe you can appeal if the institution messes up and you can prove it? It would have helped though if you had positive results from the 1st year as evidence, but it doesn't sound like it. If only some of the units were complete, you may be eligible for a lower qualification but it depends if they included the compulsory units for that level.

Fingers crossed it works out OK. On the positive side, money talks and Unis are so desperate to fill places and get their hands on your 9 grand a year that you'll probably get plenty of offers in clearing whatever the outcome...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I would be surprised if the university doesn't honour the offer in this case, definitely worth ringing them. What kind of course do they hold an offer for?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Northbrook College

I went to Northbrook back in '92-'94. I seem to remember getting my required grades, but cant remember how or when I received them, but had an awesome graduation day / drinks bender at Worthing Town Hall. As I spent most of my two years in the Theatre Bar, instead of studying in the design studios, this is all rather fuzzy though. I know I finished college, but have no idea how.

Sorry, I've been no help at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here