Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top Of The League

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True, but it hasn’t stopped fans singing it in the past.
Well we could certainly sing it during the game (were that to happen). I was thinking more about referring to it after the game, claiming that we were once at the top of the table.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Oh the enthusiasm of youth, or is it just being a plain optimist

Thanks for the youth complement.

It’s always important to know ‘we have a chance’ and at 8/1, it’ll be a bigger chance to go top than we’ll have for the rest of the season!

Let’s make the most of it!

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
In that case, we should of at least qualified for the champions league last season with the players we had.

Massive underachievement from CH!

PB out!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I’m assuming I’m in a minority of around one for thinking about this but...........

If Arsenal draw with Burnley and Liverpool fail to beat Southampton, we’d have at least 2 1/2 hrs at the top of the Premier League if we hammer the hammers!!!

[emoji106]

I said exactly the same to my son at lunchtime.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In light of this new information I'm going large on an away win. :down:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sorry not looking at top of the table. I'm still looking at us being 6 points above the bottom 3 if we win and the teams that lost last week lose this week.

That's a fair point. When the fixtures came out I was really worried by our evil final home fixtures. The rationale went that I would have sooner taken an easier end than a kind start, as the new guard would take some time to bed in. If we can get some cheap points early on and put some distance between us and the dotted line of doom* then that would be just lovely.

*and that Croydon lot

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Telegraph's Football Nerd weekly newsletter talks about the chances of us & Burnley staying in a top 6 position this week.

Here's the relevant part:

Fans of Brighton and Burnley could be forgiven for wishing they could pause the Premier League table until May. Placed fourth and fifth respectively, the current standings after one game are likely to be as good as it will get this season.

Early tables tend to have a whiff of fantasy about them - Blackpool were second after the opening round of fixtures in 2010 - but with the Premier League’s top six more predictable than ever, there is an even greater need for the so-called smaller clubs to cherish good starts.

Each of the last three seasons has finished with the same clubs occupying the top six positions. This is unprecedented in the Premier League era, and the likelihood is it will happen again this season. Even after one game, the so-called Big Six already make up four of the top six spots.

How long then realistically can supporters of Brighton and Burnley - or another early outlier - expect to remain at such rarefied heights?

Over the last three seasons, the longest a non-Big Six side has lasted in the top half-dozen spots was Burnley in 2017-18. On that occasion they were sixth as late as the 18th gameweek - until December 23 when a 3-0 defeat at home to Tottenham saw Mauricio Pochettino’s team leapfrog them. From then on that season the top six was a closed shop to non-elite clubs.

It was a similar story last season when Manchester United beat Fulham 4-1 on December 8 to ensure that by the end of the sixteenth gameweek two days later they had replaced Everton in the top six. Again, the Big Six would not relinquish their collective hegemony for the rest of the campaign.

In 2016-17, the top six was entrenched as early as gameweek 11 when a United victory away at Swansea on November 6 saw them overtake Everton. As late as March, Everton did briefly return to the top six, but only in the middle rather than at the end of a gameweek (they had also played three games more than United at the time).

Brighton and Burnley would therefore be breaking new ground in the last few years if they were to still be in the top six come Christmas. Their supporters would be advised to enjoy their current view - and maybe take a screenshot of the current Premier League table.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
For palace to be top of the league:-

Arsenal Burnley - draw
Villa - win
West Ham - win
Watford - win
Southampton - win
City Spurs - draw

Palace win 0-6

Keep the dream alive :lolol:

I take it you are on your school holiday as you appear to have to much time on your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it you are on your school holiday as you appear to have to much time on your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you couldn't work that out in 30 seconds you probably should have foregone your own holidays from school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here